• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 at 1 mile

Re: 308 at 1 mile

If your life or the lives of your loved ones is on the line, would you take that 1 mile shot with the 308 or what?

Re: 308 at 1 mile

That is amazing, I thought 1000 yards was tuff; I am so jealous, there is nowhere like that to shot down here in FL... nice shooting

a friend and i each made 3rd rounds hits on 10" balls at 1740 yards last year with my .308, there was little wind and it was a warm day or i think it would have taken more than 3 shots...

If your life or the lives of your loved ones is on the line, would you take that 1 mile shot with the 308 or what?
absolutely, after making 3rd rounds hits at a mile last year we went down an inspected the target area and there were indents in the ground and we couldn't find the bullets. that tells me the .308 has stopping power at a mile in the right hands and under the right conditions.

I must be doing something wrong. 2600fps in a .308 shooting 208gr?!? Am I the only guy thinking that's hot as shit?

Not taking anything away from the shooting. That's impressive. No question.

800 meter range is a reflection of terminal ballistics not ability to get there.

Now to my real question, one that's troubled me for some time. Does the centerline of a rotating bullet stay parralel to the centerline of the bore through it's entire flight, or does it follow the arc of the shot? In a rifle the difference is small but what about in a howitzer trajectory where the angles are steeper? To me it makes sense that a .30 cal bullet would stay oriented to the bore centerline, but I've been wrong about more important things. JNel's comment about oblong hits made me think on it again.

absolutely, after making 3rd rounds hits at a mile last year we went down an inspected the target area and there were indents in the ground and we couldn't find the bullets. that tells me the .308 has stopping power at a mile in the right hands and under the right conditions.

I attended a school last year where we went out to a mile with whatever we had (most of us were on .308s) and the question was raised about the terminal ballistics at that distance. The instructor had conducted tests where they hung pig carcasses at a mile and shot them with 175gr .308s. He said they were getting full penetration of the pigs at that distance and that the rounds were not tumbling. What is lost is the hydrostatic shock and the energy necessary to effectively expand the bullet, but it's still punching a hole completely through pig.
One of the earlier posts made reference to "running and ducking" if they were downrange, which is the argument I've always raised when "effective" range comes up: If I'm not comfortable standing in the impact area then the bullet is still serving a purpose and if it doesn't harmlessly bounce off of a flesh target then it is still "effective".
I personally have gotten real small while on the wrong side of rounds that were probably past their "effective range" according to the book. If they made me seek cover, whether they were accompanied by a transsonic "crack" or not, they were effective at the time.

Really nice shooting by the OP at that distance, considering NO (shoulder-fired) caliber is going to give you reliable FIRST ROUND hits at a mile, 4 hits was NICELY done, and I'm sure as hell not going to screw around in his impact area :)

Last edited:
I must be doing something wrong. 2600fps in a .308 shooting 208gr?!? Am I the only guy thinking that's hot as shit?

Not taking anything away from the shooting. That's impressive. No question.

800 meter range is a reflection of terminal ballistics not ability to get there.

Now to my real question, one that's troubled me for some time. Does the centerline of a rotating bullet stay parralel to the centerline of the bore through it's entire flight, or does it follow the arc of the shot? In a rifle the difference is small but what about in a howitzer trajectory where the angles are steeper? To me it makes sense that a .30 cal bullet would stay oriented to the bore centerline, but I've been wrong about more important things. JNel's comment about oblong hits made me think on it again.

Based off a footballs & javelins, I'm betting a bullet does the same.

I was wondering the exact same thing a few days ago. Great question!

Can you share what kind of gear you were using one more time? I mean your barrel wasn't a huge palma gonzo barrel or what is 26 inch or ??

These were FGMM 175's.

Hi JNel
Didn't see your post before today, reminded me of a similar experience. Went shooting with a few friends in NV desert, by Vegas; they were shooting a mile with 7mm SAUM and .338LM. I had my Sako TRG 22 .308, optic S&B PMII 5-25x56, decided to have fun too and went for it. S&B elevation maxed out + 35 MOA Badger rail, had to use lower marks on the reticle, can't remember how much, got it written down in log book. Target 15"x25" metal sihouette (thanks Kurt); results 5 hits out of 20 rounds of factory GMM SMK 175 BTHP. Did a bit better with a 700 PSS .308, few weeks later, 6 hits out of 20, same ammo, same target, NF scope 5-22x50, 35 MOA Badger rail, NF elevation also maxed out, also using lower portion of reticle. No wind on both occasion; .308 effective at a mile, hell no, but it is a hell of a challenge and a lot of fun ;)
Glad to see that quite a few guys had the same experience, good stuff.