• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report .308 at 800 yards

Tempest 455

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2012
Middle TN
So my son and I attempted our longest shots to date w/ our Savage 10BA. It has been very accurate so far out to 400 yards. He's done a best of .5 MOA at 400 and I have just a little tighter using Black Hills 168g.

We tried 800 yard steel in 15 MPH winds last weekend. Because the wind was on and off, made the windage adjustments difficult. I was thinking with my wallet and decided to shoot some cheap PMC 147g figuring I was going to burn up a fair amount getting it on target.

The good news was, JBM software was right on the money for elevation. However, my shots were left to right, back and forth. I know the wind was a factor but I'm guessing the PMC 147g was a bad choice and should have just used my 175g Black Hills.

Just looking for thoughts if the wind or ammo was a bigger factor.

Re: .308 at 800 yards

You might start thinking of your rounds going transonic at that distance. I found out the hard way that I had a load that went transonic between 750 and 800yds. The rounds started acting irregularly- all over the place inconsistant.

Mine were 175gr .308s made by Tactical Ammunition. I was using them in a 1000yd course. I could ping 750 nicely, but at 800 things were totally different. I never got my 1000 shots. Argh. I did ask the company about the distance and let them know my needs. They reassured me that they were right, and later offered to refund if returned, but I wasn't going to pay a lot to return them so I've got them labled for under 750.

Tempest,

Previous poster is spot-on. You mentioned factory ammo, so i assume you dont reload (you dont know what ur missing). Try the hornady 178gr HPBT superformance load...if its accurate in your rifle, it should get you to 1100yards supersonic at sea level.

That is the only factory load i'm aware of that is fast enough to reliably get you to 1,000yards at sea level with a 20-24" rifles.

If you are going to make a habit of longer range shots, then you need to start reloading...how does $8/box of 20 rounds of highly tuned loads strike you? That's about how much it should cost you to roll your own.

Regards,

Thanks for the comments. I have no desire to reload, however.

I've had great luck w/ Black Hills. Been as accurate as some people I know that reload. I was just was trying to confirm that the cheap 147g PMC was the problem just as much as wind.

Next time I do this, will be using 175g Black Hills or Hornaday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tempest 455</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the comments. I have no desire to reload, however.

I've had great luck w/ Black Hills. Been as accurate as some people I know that reload. I was just was trying to confirm that the cheap 147g PMC was the problem just as much as wind.

Next time I do this, will be using 175g Black Hills or Hornaday.

</div></div>

147g seems like a pretty light load for engaging a target at 800m. However, I don't know at what value the wind was blowing at the time of your shots, nor any of the other external factors. However, I would say you would have better luck with 175g Black Hills. I have my weapon zeroed and doped using M118LR, which has allowed me to hit 1MOA or better consistently at 800m using my Rem700.

The BC difference between the two is almost .1, with .400 for the 147 gr and .496 for the 175 (if you mean their cartridge with the SMK).

Just that difference alone is huge with respect to wind. Shooter shows a 26" difference in windage at 800 yards for those two bullets starting at 2650 fps and a full value 15mph wind. Add variable winds and you are much harder pressed to make the shot with the lower BC bullet even if the accuracy of both cartridges was .0001 MOA.

I also have no doubt that Black Hills ammo is also manufactured to more exacting tolerances than PMC (and you pay for it) and will give you more consistent results regardless of the conditions.

That being said, I hand load ammo and have had days where I was left and right of the target even though my bullets have a >.500 bc and the rounds are loaded to very exact tolerances.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The BC difference between the two is almost .1, with .400 for the 147 gr and .496 for the 175 (if you mean their cartridge with the SMK).

Just that difference alone is huge with respect to wind. Shooter shows a 26" difference in windage at 800 yards for those two bullets starting at 2650 fps and a full value 15mph wind. Add variable winds and you are much harder pressed to make the shot with the lower BC bullet even if the accuracy of both cartridges was .0001 MOA.

I also have no doubt that Black Hills ammo is also manufactured to more exacting tolerances than PMC (and you pay for it) and will give you more consistent results regardless of the conditions.

That being said, I hand load ammo and have had days where I was left and right of the target even though my bullets have a >.500 bc and the rounds are loaded to very exact tolerances. </div></div>

Thanks for the feedback. I could not find any BC data on the PMC. I did not know it was that low! I will stick to shooting good stuff in this rifle.