• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 ballistic charts

adam1122

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2010
Tx
Ok, I don't own a chronograph or anything that can measure bullet dps. What isnthe best site to use to try to find 308 bullet ballistics, coefficients etc. I know there are many programs for PDAs that a available. Specifically i am looking for the data on a 147 fmj round.

Thanks.

Re: 308 ballistic charts

Adam...going to a ballistic database or program for data is still only going to get you partial numbers and "guesstimates" for the equation and ultimately, won't get you where you need to be with YOUR rifle in terms of real-world data to get you on target.

I think you will find the BC of the South African 147gr FMJ to be approx. 0.41, BUT you are still going to need an actual, averaged MV reading, atmospheric/environmental data, etc. to get you on track in terms of getting good data back from a ballistics calculator. The only way to get you started correctly is for you to obtain the data for YOUR rifle which means getting (whether buying or borrowing) a chronograph and knowing what you are getting out of your rifle on average.

The only other way to go about it without a chrono, etc., is to shoot your rifle at varying ranges. Start with your zero range (100yds, etc.), then move back in 25yd or 50yd incriments and note the drop you witness (or your required elevation dial-ups to get you on target) between those range intervals, then record them in a log book that you can later use to create a range card.

another method for determining velocity without a chronograph

Go to:
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj_drift-5.1.cgi
make sure you fill in ALL of the required fields and make a best guess at muzzle velocity.

zero your rifle

shoot 200, 300, 400, 500 ect. yards with the approx. dope given to you from:

note the impacts according to your hold

go back into:
and put in the BC for bullet, atmospheric conditions for the day and all other fields required. Adjust the muzzle velocity until it gives you the closest output to your real world dope that you shot. If you are hitting lower than adjust your velocities down. If you hit higher, adjust your velocities up. If all fields are filled out correctly and your shots are consistent you will find a velocity that closely resembles your pattern. I suggest shooting a five round group at each distance so you can get an average.

Thanks gentlemen......very helpful. I may actually swap my blackberry to an iPhone so I can keep one with me while I'm in the field. Coming up with my dope cards is really time consuming bc of all the different ranges and elevations and temps I shoot at. Oh well.....laziness doesn't win games does it and i play to win.

Second place is just the first place looser.

I'm going to borrow the guys chrono who owns talon arms.....going to sight in my new us optics scope while at it. You guys thinks it's a waste to mount an Burris fast fire reedit site in an offset mount if my scope is a 1.8x-10x? Not sure how quick I can acquire targets with 1.8 mag but i will tell you in my line of work if they get that close you better be getting lead downrange faster thayou can say oh sh$t!

I've got a Doctor offset with my other 1.8-10. If you have the time to dial down, then you can dial down and use the scope, but if you don't have time to reach up and dial, just flip the rifle 45* to the side and keep shootin!