• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Barrel Length

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
Should I go 18" or 16"? I want something light but still accurate. I use my existing .308 AR for hunting and target shooting. It is just really heavy.

Note: I run a suppressor almost all the time. I have no plans to SBR a .308. I have my 5.56 in 10.5".

For use with a can, I prefer 16. You get back the FPS in freebore boost from the can normally. When shooting without the can, there is only a 40-45 fps loss from 18 inch. With good ammo, I am supersonic until a little over 1k yards and I will not be shooting past that normally. For me, 16 just feels handy and maneuverable. I generally only shoot top 175 smk or berger otm (when possible).

Since your building you might check out Fulton Armory. I have one of their 18.5" light weight Criterion barrels.

I went with 17" on my GAP-10 and couldn't be happier. Easily shooting 175s into .5MOA and has the guts to get out to 800, which is all I really need it for. This was never intended as a 1k gun so I have no issues with the shorter barrel.

16" will work fine for hunting and it also makes it easier to handle like climbing trees and getting in and out of vehicles.

For hunting, general use I say 16. I personally know what I can make a humane kill out to, and its not a 1000 yards. So 16" is what is in my lrp-07.

Should I go 18" or 16"? I want something light but still accurate. I use my existing .308 AR for hunting and target shooting. It is just really heavy.

Note: I run a suppressor almost all the time. I have no plans to SBR a .308. I have my 5.56 in 10.5".

Go with a 16" mid gas.

For barrels I have heard good things about the new mega arms drop ins for 300.

If you are looking for real accuracy I'd get a custom made barrel.

I've got a 16" build now but plan on doing another build with an 18" barrel as I've read that the velocity difference between it and a 20" isn't much

I use a 14.5 at work and I am completely happy with it. The shorter barrel would be my choice easier to move around and you still have good accuracy with it.

16 inch. I've had 'em cut to 20 and 18....it wasn't until I went to 16 that I really felt like I was making progress.