• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors .308 Best Suppressor

Kevlars

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2011
USA
Hi All-- I am looking for a Suppressor for my .308 I have a custom rifle 20 inch barrel and am looking for a screw on Suppressor that will give me accuracy as well as sound suppression (not sure of the other questions I should be answering). There are so many out there and they all say they are the best ... so what I am looking for is real world advice not someone reading the sales slick to me. As I cannot go sample all of the suppressors (I wish I could) then I could make a decision. So I am hoping that you all can give me some direction.
Thanks

Re: .308 Best Suppressor

I would recommend you look at the Advanced Armament Cyclone. It is a thread-on can and is very well built. Also, price on it dropped $25.00 this year at SHOT so, that's always a plus.

I would say that in terms of sound-reduction it is at the top of the class. I have used them on a number of my bolt guns as have a number of my customers and all have been very pleased.

Thank you ... How does this suppressor affect accuracy?

Where in Arizona are you? I have a few you could shoot if you are in the Prescott area? I do not sell them, so I am not motivated by greed. Unfortunately they seem to multiply in the safe. Anybody know how to tell the difference between male and female suppressors? These things are like rabbits.

Normally they help accuracy. Normally.

As with most suppressors, you may see some POI shift. The good thing about it is that the POI shift should be repeatable. On my suppressed bolt guns, I set them up to run with a can on and, generally, do not ever shoot them without the suppressor (that's why I bought it in the first place
smile.gif
).

And, as Azprc said, most of the time you will find that accuracy is enhanced when using a suppressor.

Quickdraw-- looked at the video .. pretty cool... have you ever heard of AWC? Do you know how they compare?

AZPRC .. I may have to take you up on your offer... I am in the Anthem area ... about 1 hour from Prescott.... so when your suppressors have a new litter ... can I get one LOL

Do not forget to look at SHARK. David makes some top notch cans. I have a Tigershark from him and am very happy with its performance

+1 for the TBAC 30P-1. I have one on my AI AW and there was no POI shift. My match results have improved as a result of the 30P-1 and I really have zero desire to shoot the AW without it.

I went with a TBAC (Thunderbeast) 30P-1. I wasn't able to try very many, but the TBAC sounded great, and shot very well. Their Customer Service is excellent as well. I recommend trying one if you can.

+100 on the Shark. Light weight and very quiet. You won't deal with a salesman or long lead times or any BS. David will shoot strait and take care of you. Remember you get what you pay for. If you buy cheap, expect cheap performance.

I don't know how they compare. Over sound, I am more concerned with no shift and accuracy. LL's report showed all of the top cans were close in sound reduction making shift and accuracy the major deciding factors and I know the TBACs are top in those categories.

If you are in AZ., I highly recommend SRT Arms. They are in AZ. and Doug is super to deal with. Do a little reading here on the site. You'll find all you are looking for with just a bit of diligence, but my top two are the SRT ShadowXL and the AWC Thundertrap. I own both, and it's pretty much a toss up. Both are built like tanks, and both sound great. The SRT is a bit more competitively priced, but you can't go wrong with either.

Can you point me to the site so I can look a the results?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: csi:cyberspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are in AZ., I highly recommend SRT Arms. They are in AZ. and Doug is super to deal with. Do a little reading here on the site. You'll find all you are looking for with just a bit of diligence, but my top two are the SRT ShadowXL and the AWC Thundertrap. I own both, and it's pretty much a toss up. Both are built like tanks, and both sound great. The SRT is a bit more competitively priced, but you can't go wrong with either. </div></div>

SRT is good people. I talked with them at SHOT and have one of their Shadow XL cans. I give them props, good CS and product. Hard to beat that.

Shark Suppressor. They are amazing! Shot next to one at the Shooter's Bash and it sounded like a Buck Rogers gun! Awesome sound!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys are mentioning some pretty high end cans there....noone has mentioned the Gemtech Sandstorm. How does it compare to the Sharks and TBAC's? </div></div>

It's high end.....

some of you mentioned that you went to the Shot Show ... can anyone go or is it only for people in the Business ... I know it is over for this year ... just wondering for next...

In the suppressor game, you get what you pay for. I have worn out 2 gemtechs in under 5k rounds each. Won't shoot a centerfire suppressor with stainless baffles. All centerfire suppressors should have inconel baffles.

How the hell do you wear out 2 stainless cans in less then 5k rounds? I know of people with 10 of thousands of rounds through their suppressors and haven't even come close to wearing one down. I was just talking to a manufacturer the other day and he knows of one can of his that has seen close to 100k rounds. It has worn out a couple of M4 and their can still runs strong.

Did he have inconel or stainless baffles? I will post pics of the baffles tonight. According to Gemtech, they are now .170 shorter than they were when manufactured.

I am pretty sure that Ops Inc uses all stainless and no inconel on their suppressors. I run the shit out of my Ops Inc suppressors and it has no wear on the baffles, just on the brake.

And what is your definition of worn out? Meaning they don't suppress sound any longer? They have wear on them? And what does it mean when you say it is .170 shorter? I don't think anyone is making blast baffles that thick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">some of you mentioned that you went to the Shot Show ... can anyone go or is it only for people in the Business ... I know it is over for this year ... just wondering for next... </div></div>

SHOT is supposed to be for industry folks (i.e., manufacturers, dealers, wholesalers, etc.) but, year in and year out there are non-indusrty people there as well.

Apho...

You live in Arizona right?

You need to go to AWC in Pheonix and see their THOR line.

And you need to search a lot more.

And yes, many makers make superb stainless systems that last forever. Grade of stainless? Thickness of baffel? Placement within the envelope? On and on and on.

And no, nobody makes an all iconel baffel stack can for a .30 as there is no reason, even those that use it know that. Those that don't know that? well, stop listening to them.

And yes, you should hear many makes.

and yes, you got some great names to hear and yes you got some crappy names to hear. And yes, some folks do not have a clue what they are talking about.

Go to Pheonix and start there. Here is a short vid for some background. Good luck...hear them all.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/8176267/

"According to Gemtech, they are now .170 shorter than they were when manufactured." Do you means the diameter is now larger? Uniformly throughout the whole stack? Blast and primary? Shoot much frangible?

Ya .. THOR will not be out till mid to late 2011.... dont know if I can wait that long .. then I would have to send in the paper work ... that puts me out almost a year ..... dont know if I can wait that long... I am seriously looking at the AWC ThunderTrap in Ti.

Here. THOR .556 out now
Same for 6.8, shipping now.

Some .308s are already out there, .30 are coming off the line now in small numbers and being shipped. Figure 45-90 days, you will see those cans in numbers. Big numbers Late Spring. Take the time to hear some of the best brands. Hear as many as you can.

Just some more food for thought SWR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..

Stainless? Don't they shrink with use? </div></div>

As George Costanza said:"Its cold,shrinkage,C'mon"

30P-1 gets my vote. It comes in at 15oz is very repeatable and very very accurate.
It's also magnum rated. I shoot mine on a 7wsm a lot.

Just more food for thought, most manufactors dont concider a difference between a precision rifle can and one that goes on a standard assualt rifle. The point Im getting at is that the primary blast chamber, in different suppressor manufactors, very in lenght. If the suppressor that you purchase has a short primary blast chamber it will carbon up the crown on your barrel and accuracy will degrade very rapidly. Found this out the hard way. So ask before you purchase one for your precision rifle.

Boogyman -- that is great advice .. it is a tac driver as I am getting 1/4 groups at 100 yds ... and I was very concerned about losing my accuracy ... the gun manufacture recomended AWC and that they know what they are doing. I am leaning very heavely towards AWC and the Ti Thundertrap. I know that the THOR is coming out ... but with all the regulations and paperwork I would not get the suppressor before late in the fall.

Ill put a vote in for an Elite Iron its very quiet, well built can, shot others and Ill keep my Elite Iron. Accuracy is a must being an avid PDog shooter, with this can on my 260 its a bug hole shooter and Dog ear safe in a pickup!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill put a vote in for an Elite Iron its very quiet, well built can, shot others and Ill keep my Elite Iron. Accuracy is a must being an avid PDog shooter, with this can on my 260 its a bug hole shooter and Dog ear safe in a pickup! </div></div>

oley.jpg

Did ya say "dog ear" safe????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RayDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">30P-1 gets my vote. It comes in at 15oz is very repeatable and very very accurate.
It's also magnum rated. I shoot mine on a 7wsm a lot. </div></div>

Well of course it gets your vote when you work for them!

The tigershark I shot on a .308 was sweet, but it is 1650/1350 shark, have heard alot of good stuff about tbac and elite iron, so your in the same sinking boat I am how much do you want to spend. I want the same, least noise with the least poi shift.

There are a handful of great suppressor manufacturers. It really boils down to what the shooter wants.

1) Price range
2) Material used to make can
3) thread on or QD
4) Is it getting good reviews?

Those are my top 4 concerns when I am deciding on a can to purchase. Its a big investment money and time wise.

I looked on here hoping to see pos feedback on the Surefire 7.62 can I just committed too,,,,,

Many good cans mentioned here, great workmanship and fine materials. KY, you know me, add suppression (both noise and flash) and accuracy to the top of your list and service to the bottom.

Reloop, Surefire is loud to my ears, loud to the point of being uncompetitive at the top end. I am sure that will piss off many, but in their calls for me to STFU, they still will not be as loud as that can. Both will certainly make my ears ring.

TD, eye protection?

Naturally,,,the reason I went with the Surefire is because my Chandler XM-3 was already set up for it,,at that point I was in too deep,,,,otherwise, I would have gone another route,,,,,I appreciate your opinion and will build another rifle in the near future and go with another can.....

does anyone have something positive they could tell me regarding the Surefire 308 can,,,,,,,,,,,please,,,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reloop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Naturally,,,the reason I went with the Surefire is because my Chandler XM-3 was already set up for it,,at that point I was in too deep,,,,otherwise, I would have gone another route,,,,,I appreciate your opinion and will build another rifle in the near future and go with another can..... </div></div>

You will have no worries with the SF. Its quiet enough to get by with a couple shots with no ear protection but regardless of what can you are running, wear some damn ear plugs! Constant strain on the ear from high frequencies will ruin your hearing quick. What model did you get?

I have the 762SS and am happy with it on the Gladius rifle. It has zero POI shift.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boogyman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just more food for thought, most manufactors dont concider a difference between a precision rifle can and one that goes on a standard assualt rifle. The point Im getting at is that the primary blast chamber, in different suppressor manufactors, very in lenght. If the suppressor that you purchase has a short primary blast chamber it will carbon up the crown on your barrel and accuracy will degrade very rapidly. Found this out the hard way. So ask before you purchase one for your precision rifle. </div></div>

You sir are right on.

I bought the FA SS for a Chandler xm-3, I had spoke with Chandler, he favored the Surefire all in all. I do own AWC Amphibian, Archangel T, Raider and Evo 9. I was spoiled by the 22 cans,expected everything else to perform same. I learned, Raider sounds like a 22,,,Like I said,,,the xm-3 was set up for the Surefire, figure it would be stupid to change it. Waiting for serial # for form 4 on the Surefire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reloop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought the FA SS for a Chandler xm-3, I had spoke with Chandler, he favored the Surefire all in all. I do own AWC Amphibian, Archangel T, Raider and Evo 9. I was spoiled by the 22 cans,expected everything else to perform same. I learned, Raider sounds like a 22,,,Like I said,,,the xm-3 was set up for the Surefire, figure it would be stupid to change it. Waiting for serial # for form 4 on the Surefire.</div></div>

Ouch, you actually paid for an XM-3... did Chandler kiss you after ?

The Surefire is a decent can, it's a bit overpriced because of the military use, but overall a very good can. A single point is still a better option for a precision rifle and a Ti can is my preferred material. I will say I really like the SF 5.56 offerings, like the mini.

I was super impressed by the AWC THOR, it has some nice design features.

Off the shelf I recommend ThunderBeast, Shark, then the SF, but only if money is no object. I ordered 2 AWC, I think it will turn out to be a first class can based off my experience with the mix I have... which the list is long.

Thanks Lowlight,,I should have known you'd smell that XM-3,,,,,After getting onto SWAT,,,,I discovered they were big Iron Brigade guys,,,they worked on two of our 40X's and one sniper had purchased a rifle from them. I hadn't quite researched as much as I should have.....so I trusted their judgement. Me being me,,,,, I needed the "better" model,,,,,oh well, I am wiser now,,,

Just to clarify,,,mine is a "hybrid" xm-3,,,,because of the 1-12 twist for the 168,,,a Chandler Sniper,,,but marked XM-3,,,not the $18,000 stick!