• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors .308 Best Suppressor

Re: .308 Best Suppressor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reloop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just to clarify,,,mine is a "hybrid" xm-3,,,,because of the 1-12 twist for the 168,,,a Chandler Sniper,,,but marked XM-3,,,not the $18,000 stick! </div></div>

What's with the all the ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, in your posts?! Cut that out!!!!
eek.gif

As an aerospace weldor and machinist I thought I would mention a few things about titanium.
1 depending on the alloy it can lose strength between 800 and 900 F
2 At 1400-1500 F titanium nitride happens ( hard but brittle )
3 It is really easy to machine compared to inconel, aluminium is the easiest titanium is next
4 For a bolt gun it would be my choice of material
5 For full auto only inconel has a hope of lasting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ElCoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As an aerospace weldor and machinist I thought I would mention a few things about titanium.
1 depending on the alloy it can lose strength between 800 and 900 F
2 At 1400-1500 F titanium nitride happens ( hard but brittle )
3 <span style="color: #FF0000">It is really easy to machine compared to inconel, aluminium is the easiest titanium is next</span>
4 For a bolt gun it would be my choice of material
5 For full auto only inconel has a hope of lasting
</div></div>

Thanks ElCoyote,

I think a lot of people still mistakingly associate titanium with being some type of "unobtainium" and its either rare or expensive and that it is a driving force in the cost of something.

a couple of questions,

Is the Inconel better because of its greater heat transfer capability or is it something else?
Aren't the higher grades/alloys of titanium adequately resistant to heat stress and wear?
Aside from weight, wich can be a huge factor, why would a titanium suppressor be advantageous?
What are the relative costs of an Inconel part vs a titanium one?

thanks,
tater

Do any manufacturers make a full inconel can or are you suggesting a inconel baffle for semi-autos?

Thanks,

Dusty

Titanium is not used in aerospace applications for it's heat resistance exactly, it's used because it weighs about halfway between steel and aluminium, is as strong or stronger than steel depending on alloy and has heat resistance close to steel, it also has a phenomenal fatigue strength (will bend a lot without cracking).
Inconel is used for high heat and strength applications such as turbine wheels and blades in turbine engines.
Titanium costs a bit more than inconel but is a lot easier to machine, the labor would probably out weigh the material cost
Titanium really isn't heat treatable it is dependent on the alloy and I was giving best case on temps.
I think and inconel blast baffle would still be required on a Ti suppressor.

I'm also looking to buy a can for my .380, so I called Gemtech about the Sandstorm and they said that it is 100% titanium, with titanium baffles, they said that the titanium baffles hold up to heat just as good as the inconel baffles if used on a bolt rifle because they don't get as hot if you were to use it on a semi or full auto.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dt00083</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm also looking to buy a can for my .380, so I called Gemtech about the Sandstorm and they said that it is 100% titanium, with titanium baffles, they said that the titanium baffles hold up to heat just as good as the inconel baffles if used on a bolt rifle because they don't get as hot if you were to use it on a semi or full auto. </div></div>
What is the lifespan of this supressor?

When we think of Ti in application we recognize that it is not formation of the parts, but the final fabrication that is where the work is to be found. Welding Ti has its own specific set of issues and requirements, not the least of which is that very little else will weld well with Ti, including inconel. Inconel and Ti in the same suppressor? They are not welded together. The "unobtainium" that is mentioned often is not the material (great titanium is very expensive), not the formation of the parts...its finding a great welder. Some Ti alloys are in fact heat treated specifically to address residual stress during fabrication, optimize special attributes (high temp creep, fatigue, fracture resistance, etc.) There is a lot here, all of it having to do with heat and its management, movement and eventual radiation within, and eventually without, the envelope. In common suppression use, Ti has already more than exceeded the attributes found in all aluminum and the vast majority of steels. In uncommon suppression use, new alloys, new designs and new fabrication techniques are being applied to produce extraordinary suppressors. Expensive? Yes. The welder alone is the highest paid professional on the floor. Many houses will do anything within their power not to weld, or weld deeply, but rather capture the Ti parts with threads or any number of ways to compress the parts together. To get the right resonance, the right final frequency within a Titanium can, some believe that welding, proper welding is the only way to go. And once done properly, that the new generation of Ti cans are the quietest cans yet to be heard. Properly alloyed Titanium, properly formed and fabricated is quickly emerging as the standard that a majority of high end suppressors will be judged by.

Life expectancy or a well built Ti can, I cannot attest to a Gemtech can, exceeds all aluminum, most steel and may indeed turn out to be one of the longest serving of all. Ti was first used in suppressors in some 50 years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..

When we think of Ti in application we recognize that it is not formation of the parts, but the final fabrication that is where the work is to be found. Welding Ti has its own specific set of issues and requirements, not the least of which is that very little else will weld well with Ti, including inconel. Inconel and Ti in the same suppressor? They are not welded together. The "unobtainium" that is mentioned often is not the material (great titanium is very expensive), not the formation of the parts...its finding a great welder. Some Ti alloys are in fact heat treated specifically to address residual stress during fabrication, optimize special attributes (high temp creep, fatigue, fracture resistance, etc.) There is a lot here, all of it having to do with heat and its management, movement and eventual radiation within, and eventually without, the envelope. In common suppression use, Ti has already more than exceeded the attributes found in all aluminum and the vast majority of steels. In uncommon suppression use, new alloys, new designs and new fabrication techniques are being applied to produce extraordinary auppressors. Expensive? Yes. The welder alone is the highest paid professional on the floor. Many houses will do anything within their power not to weld, or weld deeply, but rather capture the Ti parts with threads or any number of ways to compress the parts together. To get the right resonance, the right final frequency within a Titanium can, some believe that welding, proper welding is the only way to go. And once done properly, that the new generation of Ti cans are the quietest cans yet to be heard. Properly alloyed Titanium, properly formed and fabricated is quickly emerging as the standard that a majority of high end suppressors will be judged by.

Life expectancy or a well built Ti can, I cannot attest to a Gemtech can, exceeds all aluminum, most steel and may indeed turn out to be one of the longest serving of all. Ti was first used in suppressors in some 50 years ago.

</div></div>Aluminium would be totally useless in any part of a suppressor as far as the rest of your post I can see that you know nothing of the processes of any metal fabrication. Just curious are you an attorney, salesman or politician

Thanks for suggesting SRT I'm local and have been thinking long and hard about going to his shop.. Only thing is Knight Armament offers a mil discount so theyre bout 150 bucks cheaper and i haven't heard any bad reviews of their cans..

No El, people do use aluminum. Your comment to the contrary reveals much. Others won't touch it.
No El, I'm just the guy <span style="font-weight: bold">politely</span> pointing out common practice in some houses.
Now you can sit there and piss and moan all you want, but it won't make a bit of difference...as what I said is exactly what is being done.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2289636#Post2289636

Now I usually don't get upset, but when a person with 25 posts calls me names as bad as those, well...
smile.gif

A.O.R.G. get thee to Pheonix and research more about Knight.

Appreciate that, strike <span style="text-decoration: line-through">pissing and moaning</span>.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The AAC 762SDN6 has a full inconel baffle stack. </div></div>

I wonder if their muzzle brake attachment will fit with a .875" barrel as I heard it does go back over the barrel a small amount. I want a .308 can and have a few requirements and I think it is the only one that meets them.

1. QD
2. will hold up under rapid fire
3. needs to attach to a muzzle brake

I know when they were still selling them the SCAR-H can was supposed to be quieter but that mount fit back over the barrel like a surefire mount and limited the barrel OD to somewhere in the mid .7xx range.

The SDN6 mounts the same as the 762SD. It doesn't go over the barrel at all. If you are threaded for a 51tooth brake, you can run a SDN6. The M4-2000, Mini 4, 762SD and SDN6 will all run the same mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SDN6 mounts the same as the 762SD. It doesn't go over the barrel at all. If you are threaded for a 51tooth brake, you can run a SDN6. The M4-2000, Mini 4, 762SD and SDN6 will all run the same mount. </div></div>

Awesome. It looked like that was the case to me but "heard otherwise".

Thunder Beast 30P-1 my choice. Because? The people who own and run TB are all accomplished LR shooters and compete at a very high level in several other shooting disciplines. Great shooters who have been there and done that. They build a great product.

If I could add a bit of information to this i would like to. In a lengthy conversation with Chris from AWC, i learned a lot about suppressor manufacturing. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that you get what you pay for in this particular line of gear. That statement could not be more true. I have seen xrays of various suppressors at different stages of their use. Some showed cracks in the baffle system after a few thousand rounds of fire, some were not the same size as when they were built, etc.

Point being the difference is in the materials used to make the thing, and the craftsmanship. Chris at AWC told me that when they come up with a suppressor design, that when a prototype is made they fire at least 20k rounds through it, simply to see if the thing will hold up. If it shows any signs of degradation, deformity, or any performance losing sign, they scrap it and either design another or figure out what went wrong and fix it, then begin the testing all over again.

I bought a Nexus III can for my springfield TRP operator from them and i can tell you they go the extra mile for ya, making sure the gun cycles right with it and everything. I do not know how they compare in accuracy and suppression to other makes and models but i can tell you they are superior in quality. Im not tryin to be a sales rep for them, just trying to show that its not just the upfront price that matters, but what you are getting for it, and knowing it will reliable and long lasting. Hope this helps =)

I have been well pleased with my TBAC 30-p and would purchase another.

Thunder beast 30-p1. All titanium. You get what you pay for.......end all of all 308 cans i have shot.....aac...gem tech....shark sandstorm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The AAC 762SDN6 has a full inconel baffle stack. </div></div>

I wonder if their muzzle brake attachment will fit with a .875" barrel as I heard it does go back over the barrel a small amount. I want a .308 can and have a few requirements and I think it is the only one that meets them.

1. QD

I know when they were still selling them the SCAR-H can was supposed to be quieter but that mount fit back over the barrel like a surefire mount and limited the barrel OD to somewhere in the mid .7xx range.</div></div>
I have a AAC 7.62 and can answer yes to all questions

I got the Thundertrap Ti in .308 waiting for ATF for paperwork ..In Pending state since Febuary 3rd.

I had my barrel threaded by AWC -- they did a fantastic job. Granted I have not tried another brand but Customer Service at AWC is fantastic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The AAC 762SDN6 has a full inconel baffle stack. </div></div>

1. QD

I know when they were still selling them the SCAR-H can was supposed to be quieter but that mount fit back over the barrel like a surefire mount and limited the barrel OD to somewhere in the mid .7xx range. </div></div>

I will be attaching the muzzle brake for the 762-SDN-6 on my Savage 10PC. It should be delivered tomorrow. I will get measurments on it if you need them.

I have gemtec sandstorm and am very pleased. There is a slight shift less the .1 mil though. I would recommend. Very happy

Not trying to thread jack, but im turning 21 on the 4th of March and decided to treat myself to a new toy. Thinking about looking at the YHM phantom for my .308. This will obviously be my first suppressor. Would this be a good alternative to some of the more pricey selection of suppressors out there? Maybe this will also help the OP on a choice of suppressor

***EDIT***
Sorry for the ignorance, just found another thread dedicated to the YHM Phantom. Needless to say, definitely leaning in that direction now. Would still like to hear any input if anyone has any +'s or -'s to it.

Man, I am telling you....get a thundebeast....its all titanium. You GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

And no, I am not a paid endorser of TB Arms...I just think he builds the best .308 can made in the 30P-1. I'd take it over any other can made.

I have never used the Surefire, but I can say the Delta P Design (Brevis Suppressors) cans are outstanding. DeltaPdesign is the SN here on the Hide. Very nice guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi All-- I am looking for a Suppressor for my .308 I have a custom rifle 20 inch barrel and am looking for a screw on Suppressor that will give me accuracy as well as sound suppression (not sure of the other questions I should be answering). There are so many out there and they all say they are the best ... so what I am looking for is real world advice not someone reading the sales slick to me. As I cannot go sample all of the suppressors (I wish I could) then I could make a decision. So I am hoping that you all can give me some direction.
Thanks </div></div>

Since 1986, I have owned/sold and/or shot a bunch of different suppressors. For my money on my personal .308s the AWC---that's Alpha-Whiskey-Charlie Thundertrapp..screw on type.

Point of aim shift, hell yes, you hang any weight on the end of your barrel you a going to get a POI shift. No big deal, just note your dope change in your log book.

Accuracy, mine have all grouped the same GROUP SIZE with or without the can on the barrel.('cept one that I was about a 1/2 thou off on the threading...but that was gunsmith head space error. We rethreaded the barrel and it shot fine)

And they stand behind their work, probably better than any other Suppressor manufacture out there.

I currently own an AAC Cyclone and am quite pleased with it. It does enhance accuracy so much so that I was able to put 5 shots in the same hole the first time out. It does have a big POI shift though but very repeatable. With Te suppressor off it shoots 3 MOA straight up. I only own 1 308 bolt gun and that suppressor is not coming off the gun anyway. I like shooting without hearing protection. It's more fun.

You are welcome to try my SF 762K can. Drop me a pm so we can met at Ben Avery or Usery to get some hands on.

I am in tucson and have the gemtech hvt on order. Will let you know when I get it if you want to drive down here and try it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A.O.R.G.S-RemiG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for suggesting SRT I'm local and have been thinking long and hard about going to his shop..</div></div>
Doug is great to deal with, check out his Shadow XL Ti, you won't be dissapointed, best can i've heard yet.

Rolling Thunder,

Which one do you think is the best since it appears you know what your talking about?

For what its worth know a guy locally who has the YHM phantom and loves it. He says he wouldn't trade it for anything.

I just picked up my YHM 762 QD. I'm impressed with it, the only down side if you will is its a little heavy. 28 oz

I own a Shark in 308, a TBAC in 338 (that I also use in 308), and have extensively used an SWR in 308.

Shark and TBAC are neck and neck for the best from what I've seen. The Shark may be a bit quieter, but the TBAC is right up there. And I ran a 4 shot group of 338 at .17 MOA from 300 yards with the TBAC. So like others have said, as long as your can isn't junk, they won't hurt accuracy.

One thing I liked about TBAC over Shark...
Depending on stock levels, waiting for a Shark can be a long and uncertain proposition. The TBAC was completely the opposite. They had several suppressors already made in my caliber, so when they started my form 3 they painted and threaded the can for my gun (no worrying about not having the correct thread pitch in stock). It was done long before the form 3 cleared.

Parker

OK, I know less than zero about anything suppressed. Give me a break, my state (WA) just made using the things legal. If I buy a .308 suppressor, can it be effectively used on my smaller bore diameter rifles?

Absolutely. "Team TBAC" competes with 6.5's and 7's, and we could make smaller-bore suppressors, but we just use the stock 30P-1 because it suppresses these so well, and we can throw it on any .308 or .300, etc too.

Zak -

Is there a lower limit that a .30 cal will effectively (good noise reduction no harm to accuracy) suppress? Would it work on a .223 for example?

Sure. It won't be as "efficient" because the .30 can is physically larger (than a dedicated .223 can), but the additional volume should overcome any decrease in performance due to the larger hole.

.... I got a question for yall, AAC sells a 300-sd and a Cyclone. I know the 300-sd is designed for a 300WM but if a .308 were shot through both which one would be quieter? and why?
If the 300-sd would be quieter then i would just get that one...

It would only make sense that the 300SD would be a quieter suppressor. But if you are not married to the 300SD, I would go ahead and step up to the Titan. From what I have been told, it is a quieter suppressor then the 300SD. It is a bigger suppressor, and a little more expensive, but it's a 338LM suppressor!

30calsuppressors.jpg

I am also looking for another 30 cal suppressor and am thinking of going that way. I already have a 30P-1

Got a 30P-1 and the integral suppressed MP5-SD.....shooting the AR with the Thunderbeast can has got to be the sweetest sound coming from a rifle I have ever heard. The MP5 USED to be my favorite suppresed weapon, albeit it is a cqb weapon but shooting a suppresed 308 just sounds unf*cking real with that can on it.

Zak is my personal hero, he made an awesome recommendation for a can for my REPR and the perfect suggestion for glass....a US Optics SN-3 with illuminated reticle and burris fastfire II sight.

I'm gearing up for my 1000y challenge....look out...Ive got custom 175SMK's on hand. I plan on shooting this challenge suppressed all the way since I have 0 poi vs poa shift when I have the can on. I'm evebn going to shoot it like a bolt gun....advantage of spending almost $3800 on an LWRC REPR that you can close the adjustable gas system all the off. This rig was built to be shot suppressed.

Zak - gonna need those range cards. As soon as I get a chrono and measure the 175's out of the barrel I will get you the numbers and you can make some dope cards for me.