• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors .308 Best Suppressor

Re: .308 Best Suppressor

And that can collection pic is making me want to start buying stuff...

The next 2 cans are going on my p226 sig in .357sig and my custom built fusion .45acp. The fusion prints groups through the same hole all they way out to 30 yards....but, a $2300 custom built .45 should be able to do that all day long.

On a different note, I have an Armalite Ar-10A2 that has a pinned on muzzle brake (factory) the threads will fit the Thunderbest 30P-1. Anyone know anyone near Houston Texas who will remove it for a decent price so I can use the Thunderbest on my armalite carbine? I bet shooting it with a can will make it dirtier than sh*t after only 100 rounds because of the increased gas blowback pressure through the gas tube. Any help would be appreciated.....btw....this is a 16in .308 carbine I want to shoot suppresed.

Thoughts?

Thanks guys.

Thunderbeast 30P-1

I have no POI vs. POA shift whatsoever.....28-32DB reduction. I havent even shot subsonic Hornady Tap yet but it is just scary to see what that is going to sound like.

Build quality is superb and Thunderbest is owned by Zak Smith, one of the most knowledgable and accomplished shooters in the US. It is worth the money to go all titanium. Best part, people will literally stop shooting at wherever you are just to listen to the sound of your rig firing.

Shooting regular .308 loads with a suppressor will still make your ear ring but it's not too bad actually. I have not tried subsonics with my LR-308 yet but from 300 Whisper/Blackout there really isn't much noise other than action cycling and of course bullet hitting target. Even during load development those shots that broke the sound barrier would not make ears ring. Someone with more delicate ears might disagree but to my mildly military damaged ears breaking the sonic barrier was not a big deal.

I'm using YHM Phantom 7.62. Quite heavy but decently priced and versatile, can't complain about performance. For those that plan to run only subsonic loads and want something lighter, I would look at 9mm pistol cans or something specially designed for reduced loads (AAC f.e. makes one for the Blackout cartridge).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sami</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooting regular .308 loads with a suppressor will still make your ear ring but it's not too bad actually. I have not tried subsonics with my LR-308 yet but from 300 Whisper/Blackout there really isn't much noise other than action cycling and of course bullet hitting target. Even during load development those shots that broke the sound barrier would not make ears ring. Someone with more delicate ears might disagree but to my mildly military damaged ears breaking the sonic barrier was not a big deal.

I'm using YHM Phantom 7.62. Quite heavy but decently priced and versatile, can't complain about performance. For those that plan to run only subsonic loads and want something lighter, I would look at 9mm pistol cans or something specially designed for reduced loads (AAC f.e. makes one for the Blackout cartridge). </div></div>

If you are talking about the AAC 762SDN, that thing is not design to use for "reduced loads" as you would put it. The whole baffle stack is inconel and shines with full power loads coming from a SBR.

Also, shooting a suppressed gun, it will depend on your setting if the sound of a sonic crack will ring your ears or not. We were shooting a suppressed 50BMG the other day with no hearing protection. This was in a open field with nothing to bounce the sound back at you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you are talking about the AAC 762SDN, that thing is not design to use for "reduced loads" as you would put it. The whole baffle stack is inconel and shines with full power loads coming from a SBR.</div></div>

Thanks for the correction, that's the can I was thinking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also, shooting a suppressed gun, it will depend on your setting if the sound of a sonic crack will ring your ears or not. We were shooting a suppressed 50BMG the other day with no hearing protection. This was in a open field with nothing to bounce the sound back at you. </div></div>

Good point. I wasn't really thinking of shooting it indoors or urban settings, just hunting pests so my view really didn't really take those in account. What are the things and directions to look at on more crowded outdoor field, such as building walls?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would only make sense that the 300SD would be a quieter suppressor. But if you are not married to the 300SD, I would go ahead and step up to the Titan. From what I have been told, it is a quieter suppressor then the 300SD. It is a bigger suppressor, and a little more expensive, but it's a 338LM suppressor!

30calsuppressors.jpg

I am also looking for another 30 cal suppressor and am thinking of going that way. I already have a 30P-1 </div></div>

Wont the bigger exit hole decrease the effectiveness? I've never used a suppressor bigger that was designed for a larger caliber than what I was shooting.

I have around 600 rounds of 308 (MV of around 2,850 fps) through my YHM Phantom 7.62 stainless, as well as a bunch of 223 through it. I have no complaints, and I find the noise to be no worse than a 22 rifle - no ringing ears at all. The "high pressure hose being disconnected" analogy is a good one. As noted by others, though, the surroundings matter. Even a 22 rifle with subsonics can be suprisingly noisy in a backyard between a fence and the house, depending on the load.

My choice was the Liberty Freedom. They're a titanium and stainless can. The company is small enough it still remembers its customers. And it's relatively affordable at around $850. And last, Titsworth had it as the second quietest can in his tests. I know dB numbers aren't everything, but they are something.

www.libertycans.net

I should have my Liberty Freedom 308 this month or next. Form 4 has been in-process for 2 months now.

-David
Edgewood, NM

I have a TigerShark and can't complain. But admittedly I do not have alot of experience with a wide array of other cans.

I use an elite iron bravo on my FN PBR in 308 and while it's not light, it is uber durable, repeatable and very quiet. My friends who all shoot supressed with other major brands of cans have made favorable comments about the quietness of mine and how impressed they are.

Pdog2011.jpg

Bacarrat, out of that collection of 30cal cans, do you have a particular favorite for use on 223's?

I have a Shark on and AIAW and love it.

The Shark on my 308 has the same noise level and sound that my YHM sounds like on my 223 carbine.

I just got my gem tech sandstorm last Thursday and shot it for the first time on Sunday, very impressed on how quiet it is and that it had minimal to no poi change. One of the guys that shoots in the local comp had one and I was very surprised how quiet it was, another guy has an elite iron can not sure what one it was but the sandstorm was defiantly quieter. So I went with the sandstorm.
Very happy with my choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would only make sense that the 300SD would be a quieter suppressor. But if you are not married to the 300SD, I would go ahead and step up to the Titan. From what I have been told, it is a quieter suppressor then the 300SD. It is a bigger suppressor, and a little more expensive, but it's a 338LM suppressor!

30calsuppressors.jpg

I am also looking for another 30 cal suppressor and am thinking of going that way. I already have a 30P-1 </div></div>

This guy is the reason I have a 30P-1 hanging off the end of my rifle...

Thanks for letting me shoot your rifle, last year!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toolfanatic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why no votes for SAS .30? </div></div>

I have an SAS
As far as a comparison I have not researched it nor really concerend about knit picking ...it's quiet enough for me and POI shift is very minimal ... only about 3/8" high @ 100 ..not really a big thing to me..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bacarrat, out of that collection of 30cal cans, do you have a particular favorite for use on 223's? </div></div>

On my personal 223/556 rifles, I use dedicated 223/556 suppressors.

I have never been a fan of running the longer 30 cal suppressors on a AR15. When the AAC 762SDN6 comes out, I think that will be a really good seller for the people who want to use it both on a 223 and 308 caliber. It's a nice compact suppressor that doesn't weigh that much more then it's little brother the M4-2000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

As for QD, stay away from Gemtech HVT. Buddy has one and hates it. </div></div>

I have two. Love them.

I wouldn't consider the HVT "The Best" due to its weight, tho. That's its only drawback IMHO.

My vote goes to TBAC, I have both a 30P-1 and a 338P both are great, I even put my 30P-1 on my P308 and had no issue. It's time for another 30P-1 for me.

i am also looking at a 30 cal can and was looking at the thompson machine "30" its fully disassemble so i like that. but now im kinda leaning towards the AAC cyclone. i dont want the QD because its going on one rifle and one rifle only

like the 762sd - quiet and fast attach. wouldn't mind having the 338 titan ti though
smile.gif

What are the pros and cons on qd vs threaded? I was lookin at the aac cyclone and if you go with qd you give up two baffles. Now the only reason I can think of having qd is for storing. What's your opinions on this

That's just a can of worms you are opening up.:)

For precision work, the thread on is a much more reliable method of attachment. There are more problems associated with QD style suppressors then thread on. Repeatability, QD mounts sometime hinder the accuracy, suppressors getting stuck on the QD mount itself if you don't clean it, the locking mechanisms failing, not locking up tight, you think it's on tight then you launch the suppressor down range, ect... But with a QD style suppressor, on a lot of manufacturers, you can move the can over to different platforms with different thread pitches. Biggest gripe about the thread on suppressors is that they can come loose when you are firing them. Not so loose to where they can fly off, you would have to be really careless to not notice that. Loose enough to effect the accuracy.

That's what I wanted to know, qd does affect accuracy. Any way of maybe using a lock washer on it so it doesn't come loose

QD doesn't always affect accuracy negatively. Both the suppressors selected for the MK13 SOCOM contract are QD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">QD doesn't always affect accuracy negatively. Both the suppressors selected for the MK13 SOCOM contract are QD. </div></div>

Which cans and mounts were selected?

+1 for the Thunderbeast 30P-1. You get what you pay for and the performance is just unreal. The owner is a competitive shooter and knows what he is doing. Just go look up www.demigodllc.com

Ive got one on my 20in 308LWRC and people stop to watch the firing sequence.

Don't know...just says it is made out of TI (not which specific grade or anything). There quality and customer service is second to none. The owner Zak shoots (and wins) long range comps all the time.

If you want advice on a can I would ask him...he knows his sh*t.

I just sent my paper work off on a Allen engineering .30 cal can. This thing looks very strong and I like the mounting system. It is similar to the ops inc mounting but is a thread on. I have not shot it yet. As soon as I do I will give a report.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: windermike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just sent my paper work off on a Allen engineering .30 cal can. This thing looks very strong and I like the mounting system. It is similar to the ops inc mounting but is a thread on. I have not shot it yet. As soon as I do I will give a report. </div></div>

Ron Allen makes Ops Inc suppressors, so it would make sense that it is similar to Ops Inc.

I am thinking about getting a thunderbeast for when i do my .308...the real question is it worth it accuracy wise to get a quick connect?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seaaggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am thinking about getting a thunderbeast for when i do my .308...the real question is it worth it accuracy wise to get a quick connect? </div></div>

A QD suppressor will not help you shoot more accurately than a thread mount IMO.

So if accuracy is the only concern get a thread mount.

What a good QD/brake or FH mount system will do, is just about eliminate the threat of inadvertent loosening (which can cause your bullet to strike the baffling- ruining or damaging your suppressor).

A good system will also not harm the accuracy of your weapon, so the cost or negatives are weight and $.

The thread mounts have positive attributes (reduced weight and cost), but they are not all positive attributes. Increased threat of loosening, and an unprotected barrel thread whenever you remove the unit may be less desireable qualities to some end users.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: windermike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just sent my paper work off on a Allen engineering .30 cal can. This thing looks very strong and I like the mounting system. It is similar to the ops inc mounting but is a thread on. I have not shot it yet. As soon as I do I will give a report. </div></div>

Ron Allen makes Ops Inc suppressors, so it would make sense that it is similar to Ops Inc. </div></div>

Thanks I knew that. I was just trying to explain the mounting system on a new product to everyone else.

i heard an ops inc surpressor this weekend on a 223 and it sounded very quiet. i really liked it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: midkansasguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i heard an ops inc surpressor this weekend on a 223 and it sounded very quiet. i really liked it. </div></div>

They are great cans.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See my post on the prior page.. usually works great, just a larger can. Extra volume can make up for difference in hole size. </div></div>

So would you then recommend a 338p-1 over a 30p-1 for a .308 if you didn't care about size and weight? Would it work better?

No, the .30 cal can is the right application for .308.

ETA- BTW, If we wanted to make a quieter can for the .308, it would not necessarily look like a .30 cal aperture version of the 338P-1. But it would be larger than the 30P-1.