• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

308 Brass, Bullets, Powder, & Primers

TacticalRem

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm new to reloading and long range shooting. (500 to 1000 yrds) I would like to start loading my own 308 175's and look forward to input from those of you that have the experience. What brass, bullets, powder, and primers should I buy and where can I get the best deals? I know that there is a price for precision and just want to get what I pay for. Any load formulas for the 175's would be appreciated.
Thanks

Re: 308 Brass, Bullets, Powder, & Primers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacRem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm new to reloading and long range shooting. (500 to 1000 yrds) I would like to start loading my own 308 175's and look forward to input from those of you that have the experience. What brass, bullets, powder, and primers should I buy and where can I get the best deals? I know that there is a price for precision and just want to get what I pay for. Any load formulas for the 175's would be appreciated.
Thanks </div></div>

Best bet is to just spend a week, or two, reading through the posts here. You have something like 400+ pages.

Read the Reloading Depot tacked at the top of this forum for load info.

There's a lot of info on this ubiquitous cartridge and lots of it has already been covered.

If you take some time, you'll learn a lot.

Chris

There is a wealth of knowledge here on the hide. I continually browse thru the Reloading Depot and look for similar rifles and bump my data against theirs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacRem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm new to reloading and long range shooting. (500 to 1000 yrds) I would like to start loading my own 308 175's and look forward to input from those of you that have the experience. What brass, bullets, powder, and primers should I buy and where can I get the best deals? I know that there is a price for precision and just want to get what I pay for. Any load formulas for the 175's would be appreciated.
Thanks </div></div>

Start with the basics and read up here and get a couple of the latest reloading manuals from the maker of the bullets you plan to use. The bullet makers will have the best data to work up your loads from. One of the best hand advanced loading resources I've found on the INTERNET is German Salazar's website called <span style="font-weight: bold">The Rifleman's Journal</span>. He may be addressing issues that seem to be past your level of commitment but this will not be the case in a few short weeks and it is easier to integrate his information and testing results with what you are learning and starting to buy. It is a LOT cheaper to buy the right stuff that is capable of allowing your to achieve your hand loading goals the first time rather than the second or third time. Read and research a few weeks BEFORE you buy anything and your Patience will be rewarded with better initial results and possession of the right tools to improve your results.

HTH!

Powder: Varget
Brass: Lapua, or Winchester if you have prep tools
Primers: Federal 210M
Projectiles: 175SMK or 178Amax are great

Its wise to work up your own load. Im currently on 45.1gr Varget with the 175 smk

winchester brass its fairly cheap, but does need some prep.
cci or winchester primers Like how they are packaged, and work
good.
bullet is going to depend on use/rifle, same with powder.
I use 178 amax and reloader 15

With the Last batch of Winchester .308 brass I purchased, I had to recut each primer pocket to be able to seat the primers. I have never had this much work before with Winchester brass. I am not talking about touch up work here, I am talking about the primer sitting out several thousandths of an inch on an uncut one! A pain in the ass for sure.

Good luck

Jerry

Jerry - had the same issues myself with the winchester brass I just purchased. My shooting ability and the cost of norma/lapua brass versus the amount of time I have available keeps me content with plugging away at the winchester brass. On a good note, the majority of the brass (60-70% out of that bag was within 1 grain.)