• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 brass question

MDM44

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2011
North Carolina
I have mostly Winchester brass and a little Hornady Match.In sorting I found weight difference of 4.6g highest to lowest in Winchester and 11.4g highest to lowest in Hornady Match.If I stick with the Winchester is that 4.6g close enough or does it benefit to get closer.

Re: .308 brass question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunnyson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have mostly Winchester brass and a little Hornady Match.In sorting I found weight difference of 4.6g highest to lowest in Winchester and 11.4g highest to lowest in Hornady Match.If I stick with the Winchester is that 4.6g close enough or does it benefit to get closer. </div></div>

You can always clump the weights, say if you have 50 cases, divey them up into batches of 25 for each of two 'weights' and mark them as such. You now have 5x5 shots of brass that is close in weight/internal volume to shoot.

Chris

I have been able to achieve a long term average 0.5 MoA from unsorted brass. In general, I get one 0.35" 5-shot group, two 0.45-0.50 5-shot groups, and one 0.60" 5-shot group from a box of 20.

Weighing cases tell you nothing of case capacity which is more important. There can be variances in the case heads which will skew your results. Always weigh case capacity with alcohol (at least 91%). There is air in plain water and is not as accurate.

Weigh your resized trimmed case, add alcohol to case mouth rim and weigh again. This is your capacity. You'll want to seat a spent primer in the case to keep the alcohol from leaking out. Once weighed and sorted, you are good to go. It's time consuming work, but it pays off.

I've found that by just mixing brass my accuracy suffers. Thats why I just shoot Lapua brass. Much more consistent. But I've heard complaints of inconsistencies lately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weighing cases tell you nothing of case capacity which is more important. There can be variances in the case heads which will skew your results. Always weigh case capacity with alcohol (at least 91%). There is air in plain water and is not as accurate.

Weigh your resized trimmed case, add alcohol to case mouth rim and weigh again. This is your capacity. You'll want to seat a spent primer in the case to keep the alcohol from leaking out. Once weighed and sorted, you are good to go. It's time consuming work, but it pays off. </div></div>

I assume you have to throw those primers away, after being immersed in ETOH?

Now that made the a light come on,sort by case capicity.Thanks everyone for the info.I guess your never to old to learn.