• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

308 Brass

captmike03

Private
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2012
Georgia
I know this is a question of preference, but just for grins and giggles, which brass you you all prefer; Norma 308 or Lapua 308?

Re: 308 Brass

Lapua if I have to choose between the two. Lately I've been using LC LR 07 brass, which I've had great results with and it's cheap; 500 cases for 80 bucks. I've gotten just as many reloads as my Lapua brass, so I'll stick with the LC LR.

I personally use Lapua brass. However, once brass is prepped right and then fire formed to your chamber, I guess it's just a matter of the number of reloads that you get out of it. I only neck size after the first firing, but I am absolutely anal about my prep work before each reload.

LAPUA for bolt action, prepped L.C. for semiauto_about the calbers not produced by Lapua,I go with Norma,of course
smile.gif

I will be using it in a bolt action. I had ordered 50 rounds of Nosler brass, but noticed that the samer company had a sale on Laupa brass and I could get twice as much for less money. I'll check on the LC also. Right now I have a lot of mixed brass and I have been loading it for hunting and such.

Thanks

i use lapua i am on my 7th reload with a .308 bolt gun and still have not got re annealed yet.

if i were you i would look in the classified area and buy some 1X fired lapua brass.

joe

Lapua is good brass but it's gone up so much on price over the years that your just paying for the name at some point. LC LR is good brass, I've found it to be just as good as my Lapua brass. For that reason I've went to LC LR exclusively. Not that there's anything wrong with the Lapua it's great brass, just tired of paying for the name. Law of diminishing return!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbm10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about Winchester brass </div></div>

Works very well for me and if it makes a difference to you more powder fits in commercial cases than military cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbm10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about Winchester brass </div></div>

I'd put it down below Lapua.

Winchester brass is OK if you buy a huge quantity then sort it into weight groups so you have a chance each group will have similar case volumes. Take the cases with off center primer flash holes and use them for foulers. Pretty much plan on neck turning, at least so that the tool cuts 270 degrees or so around the neck. This will give you far more uniform neck tension than just shooting it out of the box.

With Lapua, the above is pretty much unnecessary. I just open the box, run each case through an expander die to make sure the neck ID's are uniform and round, then load and shoot. Lapua is far more uniform than Winchester and if your desire is to have uniform brass with close case volumes, you'll have to by far more Winchester in order to sort out some closely matched cases. I guess that runs the cost up there closer to Lapua.

Locally Lapua is just over $60 for 100 cases. Winchester is just over $20 for 50. I guess it's a question of how good do you want your brass to be or how cheap do you want to be.

Also, a local Palma shooter claims his Lapua Brass lasts him close to 40 reloading cycles (with annealing). His Winchester, only half that.