• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Brass

USMCGRUNT0341

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2008
Looking for opinions on reloading .308 brass in a semi-auto, 16in barrel 1/10.

I read that the semi's will eat up Lapua brass and it is not worth spending the money on it. However, I see conflicting arguments with the LC military brass. Looking to run 168gr HPBT's w/ N150 powder. Any recommendations on .308 brass primarily for recreational target shooting and also the end of the world. Thanks!

I've been shooting LC brass in my 308 semi's for many years and never had any problem. Toughest part was removing the primer crimp and even that was not a problem. Can't comment on Lapua brass as Only shoot it I my AIAW and TRG22.

Reactions: USMCGRUNT0341
With fgmm brass, hot loads out of a 16” gas gun, I’m getting about 4 firings before primer pockets loosen up. Anecdotal, but maybe that helps. I’d skip premium brass for a semi auto.

I'd go to your local range and ask people for their brass if it's just recreational shooting your going after. I just bought some lapua brass for 308 just to see what the fuss was about, plus I anneal my brass to get the most of it. I have an LWRC repr and I shoot my brass until the necks crack and have never had a problem.

Semper fi
Horner

I'd go to your local range and ask people for their brass if it's just recreational shooting your going after. I just bought some lapua brass for 308 just to see what the fuss was about, plus I anneal my brass to get the most of it. I have an LWRC repr and I shoot my brass until the necks crack and have never had a problem.

Semper fi
Horner
How many firings have you gotten so far? Thanks

Thanks all, I appreciate the insight. At this point, I will probably just reload whatever I can get. The military once fired LC I have seen has definitely been the cheapest, but I also know that is going to take the most prep work. These days you can't afford to lose a primer because the pocket wasn't prepped correctly...haha.