• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors .308 can on .223?

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    I'm sure this has been answered a thousand times but how would a can like a Gemtech Sandstorm on a .223 compare to a can like a .223 Opsinc 12th model or M4-96D in terms of sound?

Thanks

I can't speak for a Gemtech Sandstorm. I can vouch for my 338 Ultra on a Tikka TAC A1 in 223. It's a hell of a lot of fun and exceeded my expectations. I tried to attach video but it would not let me. The group is 5 rounds at 100 and with a nikon scope that's just something I put on until I move a better scope on it. It seems to shoot as tight with the can on as it does off.

Last edited:
    Reactions: deersniper
    I have both but they insisted on threading my Valkyrie in 5/8 x24 the difference isn’t noticeable other than the 30 can being heavier in my case

I have a YHM resonator that I use on both my ar and 6.5 creedmoor. The sound difference between it and other 556 is negligible. The only real difference IMHO is the weight and size of the can hanging off of your barrel. In fact, I think 30 cal cans tend to sound nicer on 223 guns compared to dedicating 223 cans. However, you are dealing with a little more weight and or length on the end of your barrel. I don’t have experience with the specific cans you’re talking about, but that’s my experience with other cans.

Reactions: Red_SC
    I use my 30 cal Ops Inc 12th Model on my 6.5 CM. Its near hearing safe.

Also use it on my 223 SPR. Its nowhere near hearing safe.

Both are very accurate with the 30 cal can mounted.

From what I researched before buying a 762/308 can. Most post suggested that a 30 Cal can would not be as quiet as a dedicated 223 CAN. My dealer even express that if I wanted to use it on other rifles, bigger is more versatile. My CAN is rated for up to 338 Lapua, while my largest caliber is 308 Win. It's hearing safe on my 300 Blk Pistol indoors, where I shoot it while waiting for a clerk to get to my paperwork. It will be added to my home defense plan, and knowing it will protect my hearing is a big plus. I certainly will be using it on my 223 AR.

I use my Ultra 9 30 cal on my AR 15 Coyote rifle and it works awesome. I don't do mag dumps....

Omega 300 on everything. 223 is like shooting a pellet gun with my 308 can. Every barrel I thread 5/8-24.

If there is a sound difference, I can’t tell with ear pro