• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 308 can that works on 22lr

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    So I've been thinking about getting a suppressor lately and had a couple questions. Are there any 308 suppressors that can also fit a 22lr. I did a search but the only mention of this has been in passing and no one has answered it directly.

My 308 is a savage fcp-k which comes with a brake, so it helps that it's already threaded. The 22's I would use it on is my marlin 795, savage mk2 when I get it and p22 pistol when I get it. To be clear, the main job of the suppressor would be on the 308. Yes I know I would have to get one that opens up so I can clean it from the 22 residue, and yes I realize a huge rifle can on a small p22 will look silly.

If I end up loving the suppressor I'll get a 22 suppressor eventually. Its not the price of the suppressor that I don't want to pay it's the damn tax stamp!

Aside from those things , can it effectively be done? What recommendations would you guys have as far as suppressors that could facilitate doing this, and parts needed.

Re: 308 can that works on 22lr

any 308 can can and will work on a 22lr... there will be 2 problems that you run into...

the first and easiest to deal with is that 22/223 cans, and the host weapons, are generally threaded 1/2x28... and 30cal cans are generally 5/8x24, easy to thread as you want it.

the second issue is that 22lr cans lead up and it's believed that they need more cleaning, this is why MOST 22lr cans are easily disassembled.

YHM makes their 762 Phanton QD specifically so that it will mount on their 556 QD adapter, and this would solve MOST of your issues... one can that will work on your 308, any AR in 556, and your 22lr rifles.

BUT, since you mentioned a Walther P22, I'd suggest that you pop for a dedicated 22 can also, the YHM will be large on that pistol, and the QD adapter will look retarded.

Jeff

I know you realize this, but just to make sure you know the exact numbers, the YHM 7.62 Phantom weighs almost 2 lbs and is 8.5" long and 1 5/8" diameter... probably bigger and heaver than your entire pistol.

That being said, you should have a look at the Silencerco Stainless Steel Sparrow for your .22 applications, I have one on my .22s and it is great!

Just buy a .50 cal can and shoot everything threw it.

Why stop at the .50? Go man go...

155mm_suppressor-tfb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why stop at the .50? Go man go...

155mm_suppressor-tfb.jpg
    </div></div>

I have to know WTH that is....

Thanks for all your help guys.

Don't get me wrong, I tried to make it clear in my first post but obviously didn't make it clear enough. The suppressor's main duty would be on the 308, I just wanted to know if I could do something to use it occasionally on my 22's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all your help guys.

Don't get me wrong, I tried to make it clear in my first post but obviously didn't make it clear enough. The suppressor's main duty would be on the 308, I just wanted to know if I could do something to use it occasionally on my 22's. </div></div>

Yes, you can do it. But many .22 cans weigh only 3.5-5oz while many .308 cans weigh 20-40oz. You will not be happy with a big stainless .308 can on the front of your P22.

As most people pointed out, the .308 can will be so heavy on a .22 that you won't enjoy it nearly as much as if you had a dedicated .22 rimfire can.

Rimfire ammo is much dirtier than centerfire and will clog up a suppressor. All of HTG's centerfire cans are take-apart so you can clean them. Also, you can purchase a 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 thread adapter and get the .308 can to screw on the 22 rimfire.

Therefore, the HTG M30-A will work on your .308 and rimfire (the suppressor can be cleaned and can be screwed on the smaller threads). It will be heavy - though, and if you are running it on a handgun, any .308 can would be too heavy (and too large of diameter) to be considered. If you want to run it occasionally on a .22 rifle, then the HTG M30-A could be a possibility.

In my opinion if you only can budget one can now. Buy a damn good 22 can. You will get a feel of using a suppressor and as others have said on here. They are like lays potato chips. You can't just have one. They seem to multiply in the safe. I wish I would have taken this advice when I first started down the suppressor path. I tried using my YHM phantom 308 can on my savage mk2 22 while waiting on my Spector can. I wasn't impressed. When comparing them both. This is why I am recommending buying the 22 can first. As I said this is my opinion and I ain't trying to be a dick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marcus85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just buy a .50 cal can and shoot everything threw it. </div></div>

HHAHAHAHA This is AWESOME hahahahaha i laughed for 5 minutes