• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.308 chassis build help

Icewater

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2014
Hey guys, I have future plans to build a .308 bolt gun with a chassis frame, I think that's what you call it. Colt makes a M2012 and Remington now makes a 700 too, both are nice guns IMO but I think I would like to build my own but I have no clue where to start or how to arrive at a final product. Any advice on how to select chassis, actions, barrels, ext...and how they are put together(if I need a pro shop or gunsmith) would be appreciated. I don't want to buy a chassis and action/barrel that won't go together. I live in Minnesota if anyone knows a good builder around?

A couple of thoughts: I would love an AI/AX with maybe a Remington 700 action and barrel but the AX might be out of my price range. I was also looking at XLR's element advertised on this site with maybe a savage action/barrel? Anyways any advice selecting components and making them work together would be great so I'm a little educated and not chasing a pipe dream :)

With the selection of components that are available today the possibilities are almost endless.
Start here:
What is your budget?
What is the intended purpose?
What caliber?
Factory or custom?
Which action?
once those are figured out picking the chassis is much easier.

if You're on a budget the best recommendation is a Tikka with either an XLR or KRG chassis

I agree with strike but the rifle is only the start you need to have glass and this you don't want to go cheap on, it will come back to bite you in the end

Makes sense. I guess I am more picky about the chassis than the action. I would like to go savage or remmington because I think they make accurate stuff for the $$ and I like them both. I think most custom stuff is a little more $$ than I want to spend for a first "build". I would be putting decent glass on it. Bushnell/vortex minimum not ruling out leupold tactical or NF depending how much I like the rifle. Being honest about it, it will just be a cool looking deer rifle. Of course I want accuracy but I'm not planning on shooting competitively and most of my shots will be within 100 yards, but I will still see how far I can reach on paper. I am a stand hunter so carrying a 15lb rifle into the woods doesn't scare me.

Just for conversation sake I really do like the looks of the xlr and the price is very do-able for me. So if I go with the xlr would remmington or savage be a better choice or doesn't it matter? What needs to be done to get them together? I'm sure it's not like putting an ar together. Is it possible to save a little money and just buy an action and barrel from a manufacturer?

Nothing needs to be done to get them together...it's a bolt in and shoot operation.
I will always choose Remington over Savage, but that's just a personal thing.
Once again, if you want factory look at the Tikka, after that would be a Remington.

There are some gunsmiths that will sell you just a barreled action. But those are custom at custom prices. Your best bet is to either buy the Tikka or Remington 5R, SPS varmint/tactical or AAC. Order your chassis, bolt it in and your ready to go

I have a 5r that I put in a Mcree chassis. I'm very happy with it. Those xlr elements look nice also. I would check out one of those 16.5" rem 700 aac-sd's. For short to medium ranges, one of those would be handy as hell in a chassis.

Just doing some checking online and I think I could afford the ax and put the Remington 700 xcr in .308 on it.

Only problem: having a hard time finding a place to purchase the AX. Anyone know where to purchase the AX chassis ?

I've decided not to go AI, seems to be a wait, which is ok I'm not in a hurry. I've changed my mind on my project, I need to explore other calibers for a long range chassis build , which I'm thinking xlr chassis for that but I'm worried it might be too light for a long range gun. For a hunting rifle I like the drake stalker chassis advertised on this site with a short .308 barrel and suppressor, only problem is suppressors aren't legal in Minnesota, but we have an election soon and hopefully we end up with a 2A legislature, then we will author a bill. Thanks for the help I have a better understanding of the chassis system now. Last week I asked my local AR pro shop about how to build a bolt action AR10....ha,ha,ha.