• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 dies?

metalic

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2010
Illinois
I currently reload 223 with my rockchucker press. I'm looking to start reloading for my 308 and was looking a RCBS precision dies for about 100 bucks. Are they good or is there better out there?

Re: 308 dies?

I say Redding. I've sorta turned into a Redding Die snob, but there products are just spot on.

$100 for pretty dies that offer no advantage except a trick side loading bullet window is a high price for not much. Get Forster or Redding dies instead.

Get Forster Ultra Die Set. Another option is Redding Deluxe Die Set with carbide expander ball, otherwise I would go whole hog and get Redding Type S Neck Match Die set.

hands down, Redding dies! the redding competition seater die actually chambers the casing and bullet before seating the bullet. The bullet will be seated with less than .002 inch deviation from it's center axis. it resulted in me getting .25 moa tigher group just by using this die. I have a set for my 338LM as well. get it and a bushing neck die and you are good to go...I also have a rock chucker press.

I have always loaded accurate ammo with both standard RCBS and the RCBS competition dies. It seemed like I noticed a small improvement when I switched from the standard to the competition seried.

I like the side loading trick. It seems to support the bullet and keep it straight and aligned with the case as its being seated. Does it load better than the standard dies, I haven't measured the difference in concentricy, so it could be all smoke and mirrors. I have noticed the RCBS sizing die is much smoother than the standard die but that could be because the expander ball is located in the top position.

That being said, I will be switching over to Forster dies, that I have had honed to provide proper neck tension. I think Forster dies that have been honed offer the best bang for the buck. Redding is very popular as you have read. I am sure they make a great product as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently reload 223 with my rockchucker press. I'm looking to start reloading for my 308 and was looking a RCBS precision dies for about 100 bucks. Are they good or is there better out there? </div></div>

Metalic,

If you are after maximum long range precision 600yd+ look at the Redding Competition dies. If loading for a SINGLE bolt gun or if you keep your brass separated for each bolt gun look at the Redding <span style="font-weight: bold">Competition Bushing Neck Die</span> or <span style="font-weight: bold">Type S Match Bushing Neck Die</span> sets. The difference being the addition of a micrometer for setting of the neck bushing stroke which is relatively minor feature but in practice handy (some guns and loads like less than full neck stroke sizing) and very repeatable. For an autoloader the Redding <span style="font-weight: bold">Type S Match Bushing Full Die</span> set gives you the advantages of neck sizing only with the addition of a full length case resize.

The Redding Competition dies cost more but there is not another off the shelf seating die that can even match let alone beat Redding's Comp dies for repeatable ogive and improved finished bullet concentricity. German Salazar did some extensive testing of the concentricity of some top shelf seating dies and was surprised at what he found. Redding's seating die actually improved concentricity of the loaded rounds over the concentricity errors of the empty brass! Lots of hard work measuring logging, sorting, seating and measuring again and documenting the results! G.S. was not the only one to come to this conclusion but his testing is always methodical and well documented. While not all of the articles are completely applicable to non-competition oriented shooters do yourself a favor and check out his many excellent articles at <span style="font-style: italic">The Rifleman's Journal</span>.

HTH!

Opps, I had not considered that you're shooting .223, is this ammo for an autoloader? If so also consider a progressive press to go with these dies and look at the Type S Match Bushing Full (length resize) Die set. You get the advantages of neck sizing with a full body resize which is a requirement for the reliable hand loading for autofeeders.

I like Redding dies, haven't been to happy with my Forster Benchrest dies that I bought in 308. Surprisingly my lee .308 dies are more consistent than the Forster Micrometer.

I just bought a Forster Bushing Bump neck sizer die. I think it offers the best of both worlds, neck bushings to allow custom neck sizing to fit your specific brass thickness/bullet combo, AND a shoulder bump without needing to FL re-size. To top it off, Forster offers a kit that includes 3 bushings, normally $10.95 each for an added $21. Midsouth has the kit in stock for $71. ($50 with no bushings included) The 3 bushings included with the 308 die are .332, .334 and .336.

Then get whatever bullet seater you want.