• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 dmr optics

benchmstr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
CEO Team waffle house
I recently was presented with an offer I couldn't refuse on an lmt mws.

Question!
I want to set it up in DMR configuration with magnification on the high end being above 10x cause as a civillian I'm hitting paper..not people sized targets...

My problem....I don't want my objective size to be over 44(rather be smaller) there are a lot of options and 50mm and bigger but if I go that route it's really just a really fast cycling bolt gun IMHO

Thanks
Bench

Question!
I want to set it up in DMR configuration with magnification on the high end being above 10x cause as a civillian I'm hitting paper..not people sized targets...

My problem....I don't want my objective size to be over 44(rather be smaller) there are a lot of options and 50mm and bigger but if I go that route it's really just a really fast cycling bolt gun IMHO

Thanks
Bench

Not sure I understand.

Do you mean that you don't want a large objective because those scopes are also typically heavy? Or is it for aesthetic reasons?

Really both

I feel The industry and it's target buyer(including me) have really lost sight of what a DMR is...not a sniper

I'm just not seing a lot of smaller diameter objectives anymore since everybody started going FFP.

Just using ffp as a timeline reference....not a reason for big objectives

Bench

This must look like what you dont want

P1015523_zps1af5c1be.jpg

If your a civilian hitting paper what does it matter about the objective if your not lugging it. Agreed my scope is huge but I'm compensating for something.

The LMT cant be described as svelt in any configuration. Mine has to be 16-17 pounds and putting it in a Tac Ops bag is like carrying my two sleeping kids to bed.

Still, that magnification and clarity is oh so nice.

If your going DMR build a L129A1 clone. Put a 1-6X Acog on it.

Last edited:
Really both

I feel The industry and it's target buyer(including me) have really lost sight of what a DMR is...not a sniper

I'm just not seing a lot of smaller diameter objectives anymore since everybody started going FFP.

Just using ffp as a timeline reference....not a reason for big objectives

Bench

There are tons of lightweight optics out there.

NF 2.5-10
Super sniper 3-9
Leupold M2/M3
Vortex 2.5-10
ACOGs

Light, FFP, 3-15 optics not so much. Premier light tactical or Leupold mark 6 3-18? Both of those are 2k though and I don't think you'll hit something with them that you couldn't hit with the super sniper 3-9 for 600bucks.

You are correct....the elcan switches

it's not exactly what I want I'll probably end up going with the vortex 2.5-10x32....even though the ffp is kinda worthless through most of that magnification range..

Anybody know who does LEO discounts for vortex?

Beach

Man, for what you're building, I've got a hard time imagining any optic beating out the USO 1.8-10 in low profile. It doesn't weigh that much, is perfect for anything out to 800 yards, and you can configure it however you want. Right now, it's my favorite scope in my safe and has sat on three different rifles. It's gone from my GAP-10, to my hunting rifle, to my Gradous truck gun. I love the versatility of USO's 1.8-10 scope. Send Lazy21 a PM and see if he's got one on the way.

Check out the Elite Tactical 3-12X44 FFP from Bushnell. It's a bit heavier than I'd like at 22 ounces, but otherwise it's perfect in a DMR type role. I have one on my 5.56 SPR, the G2DMR reticle allows for extremely fast transitions between targets at various ranges once you get used to using it for holdovers.

You are correct....the elcan switches

it's not exactly what I want I'll probably end up going with the vortex 2.5-10x32....even though the ffp is kinda worthless through most of that magnification range..

Anybody know who does LEO discounts for vortex?

Beach

Contact Vortex directly and they will hook you up.

Question!

Thanks
Bench

Sounds like the Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 is exactly what you want.

Sounds like the Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 is exactly what you want.

Oh no...as long as it says leupold they can keep it.

My last 2 leupolds failed. The first one after a long battle with customer service was replaced..I'm still stuck with the 2nd one and have come to a conclusion of "I refuse to pay diamond prices for coal" when it comes to leupold.

I know I am a minority on this. But that's too much money to spend on a company that screwed me over.

Oh no...as long as it says leupold they can keep it.

My last 2 leupolds failed. The first one after a long battle with customer service was replaced..I'm still stuck with the 2nd one and have come to a conclusion of "I refuse to pay diamond prices for coal" when it comes to leupold.

I know I am a minority on this. But that's too much money to spend on a company that screwed me over.

I know how you feel.

Recently got a leupold M3 and the elevation knob is mushy while the windage knob feels great....but the clicks are off. 1MOA of windage adjustment gave me around 1.5" at 100M. However it holds zero and returns to zero therefore it's not going back to leupold.

Why?

Because I don't want to have to mail the damn thing back 3 times before those dweebs fix it properly.

I know how you feel.

Recently got a leupold M3 and the elevation knob is mushy while the windage knob feels great....but the clicks are off. 1MOA of windage adjustment gave me around 1.5" at 100M. However it holds zero and returns to zero therefore it's not going back to leupold.

Why?

Because I don't want to have to mail the damn thing back 3 times before those dweebs fix it properly.

I wish my problems were that simple..the first scope the elevation knob would stick, and after less than 100 rounds the same knob just started spinning freely

The 2nd optic came in...after 2 range sessions the rectical shift or something..you can shake the scope and look through it and the rectical will be in a different place....I've never seen that until then..or since then

That was 8 years ago...I've shot NF, S&B, and priemer ever since..been wanting to try vortex too.

Bench

Last edited:
I know that GB and NZ run about a 3-15 to 4-16 with RTS offset sights for their LMT MWS DMR rifles.

If all you're doing is punching paper or banging steel in either the prone or off a bench, then I would get a minimum 3-15 personally. If you want something more light weight & geared more towards hunting, then I would go with a 2.5-10. I wouldn't get anything less for a .308 myself.

New NZ Army Marksman Rifle - YouTube

Question!

Thanks
Bench

Here is a vote for a USO 3-17X44. Its heavy but indestructible. Good magnification range for paper, steel, hunting etc. Only downside is it is a little heavy for hunting. But I hunt with mine so its all relative.

If my vote counts, I'll do a 1.8-10 USO....

Let me know if I can price one out for you