• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.308 DPMS & Suppressors & Shooting subsonic

Panther308

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2008
Country - Texas
I have one of these - a DPMS LR-308 (24" BBL).
I have been recently been contemplating getting a can for it.
The can I looked into is the AAC 300-SD.
Before I start getting serious about this, I wanted to ask a few questions:

- Is a semi auto (as opposed to bolt action), a possibility to make it able to reliably shoot suppressed and with subsonic ammo?

- What would I have to change on my rifle to be able to shoot suppressed and with subsonic ammo?

- Anyone use the AAC 300-SD can? Any experiences which were not good?

- Anyone know best (cheapest) place to buy this suppressor?

Really appreciate the help this community continues to provide.

Thanks.

Re: .308 DPMS & Suppressors & Shooting subsonic

I think you might have to manually operate your bolt by hand, but I dont know of any other complications. I will let the experts chime in, but just my .02 cents.

I have to manually operate my M25 when suppressed with subsonics. Turns into a spring operated bolt gun
laugh.gif
Otherwise with standard ammo I get a lot of back blast from the pressure and my Op Rod doesnt like it.

I have a YHM 762 can I use on my 5R and thought about putting it on a LR 308 I have as well. Sub-sonics will not run in it. You will have to charge each round. The barrel will have to be threaded and as far as running it with the can on it, the main issue is gas getting blown back at you threw the charging handle. On my AR15 I have a gas buster and it helped alot but I'm not sure if they have it for the 308? Houston Armory is a good place for suppressors, Ask for G he can help ya out.

I have a standard DPMS LR-308 and shoot it suppressed exclusivly. I have a heavy (steel) Sound Tech .338 Suppressor that I use. Rifle won't cycle with subsonic which makes it pretty quiet. With regular ammo, which I use 98% of the time, it sounds like an air gun (or disconnecting a quick connect air hose). It really is fairly quiet and is a lot of fun to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a standard DPMS LR-308 and shoot it suppressed exclusivly. I have a heavy (steel) Sound Tech .338 Suppressor that I use. Rifle won't cycle with subsonic which makes it pretty quiet. With regular ammo, which I use 98% of the time, it sounds like an air gun (or disconnecting a quick connect air hose). It really is fairly quiet and is a lot of fun to shoot. </div></div>

How is the blow back though? My AR15 guns will actully leave a black smug on your face without the gasbuster or RTV

It has blow back but its not bad. I believe the larger the suppressor the less the blow back. Mine is actually a .338 suppressor and has a little more volume inside. I have gone to using .308 suppressors on .223 AR's. They are actually (to my ears - non scientific) quieter than a dedicated .223 suppressor. Its has to be because there is greater volume area inside the .308 can. Heavier to carry, but most of my shooting is off the bench where weight doesn't matter.

I have a DPMS 308 with an eighteen inch barrel. I shoot it with my cyclone k on it full loads and the gas hammers the thing. I'm looking to buy a JP adjustable gas block. I have to hand cycle the action with sub sonics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHAKAZULU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you used your Sound Tech on a .308 bolt gun? </div></div>

Yes! I have a Winchester Model 70 (.308, 20" heavy barrel) built by the Coast Guard Armory in Miami that was built as one of their Intermediate range sniper rifles that I have a Sound Tech Suppressor on. Using TTI Subsonic ammo, it sounds like a BB gun.