• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

308 farthest shoots

corycarner

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
I am new to the rifle world but I am thinking of getting a 308 ar. Are there any recommendations, for gun, scope, ammo? It will be used for target shooting and hog hunting. What is the farthest anybody has shoot with a 308 ar?

Re: 308 farthest shoots

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People have shot over a mile with 308 Ar's. (and hit it) </div></div>
+1 on what he said. I wouldn't bet my life on a HIT at those distances but I also wouldn't want to be setting out the targets while someone is shooting the 308

a mile is simply not practical with a 308. It's fun to try and hit it finally, but otherwise to make a practice of it is a waste of ammo. I'd say a practical range for 308 is about 1000 yards max, and maybe 1200-1300 if you have a really good platform and can call wind exceedingly well.

308s have certainly made hits at a mile, but it is rare, and not repeatable. I would glady take a $1000 bet with someone claiming to make six out of 10, 11 out of 20, 16/30 etc etc (more often than not with a 10 shot minimum) hits at 1760 yards with a 308.

Practically, the 308 is reliable out to 1100ish yards.

Have taken my gas gun out to 1100 yards,and 1400 out with a bolt gun.

Depends what you call accurate- I fired a 30 round burst from a 7,62 BREN at a range of 1,9 km (by the map) - wounded the main guy we wanted and also got hits on two out of 4 accomplaces. The BREN on gas setting one has a very slow rate of fire and they were standing in front of a vehicle which I could make out through the open sights.

Later we tried the sights (they are graduated to 2200m) by shooting at a couple of old boats tethered in the Zambezi river. We started at 1500m and moved back- Fired a 10 round burst at each range so the spotter located near the boats could see the fall of shot. Beyond 2000m dispertion became quite significant with bullet strikes 50m before and others 50m beyond the target.

Ammunition was BF 79 Lott 13 (made by F.N. I think)

I have done 1600 yards with my .308. I will say that it was a big Target.
REM 700
26" tube
175 Smk
45 gr varget
Win brass
Fed 210m

All of my targets are measured out with a 1" leica robotic total station since I am a surveyor. I see a lot of people claim 400 yards then when the targets are lasered they are closer to 200 yards. Easier to measure targets first and know where your at than to shoot and look at what the ballistic app says your comeups are and getting range from that.

At a match in 2010, shooting at an IPSC steel silhouette at1340 yards uphill and across a canyon, first shot was half a minute right. I dialed a minute and put four shots center mass as fast as I could work the bolt. (I wanted to get all my shots off in the same conditions.)
Would I bet my life on it? No. Possible, with practice? Yes.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At a match in 2010, shooting at an IPSC steel silhouette at1340 yards uphill and across a canyon, first shot was half a minute right. I dialed a minute and put four shots center mass as fast as I could work the bolt. (I wanted to get all my shots off in the same conditions.)
1911fan </div></div>

at that range is the minute 3 1/4inches?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr Don Heath D.Sc.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends what you call accurate- I fired a 30 round burst from a 7,62 BREN at a range of 1,9 km (by the map) - wounded the main guy we wanted and also got hits on two out of 4 accomplaces. The BREN on gas setting one has a very slow rate of fire and they were standing in front of a vehicle which I could make out through the open sights.
</div></div>

What the hell do you do for a living!? haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strip Poker 388</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At a match in 2010, shooting at an IPSC steel silhouette at1340 yards uphill and across a canyon, first shot was half a minute right. I dialed a minute and put four shots center mass as fast as I could work the bolt. (I wanted to get all my shots off in the same conditions.)
1911fan </div></div>

at that range is the minute 3 1/4inches? </div></div>

13.4"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">308s have certainly made hits at a mile, but it is rare, and not repeatable. I would glady take a $1000 bet with someone claiming to make six out of 10, 11 out of 20, 16/30 etc etc (more often than not with a 10 shot minimum) hits at 1760 yards with a 308.

Practically, the 308 is reliable out to 1100ish yards.</div></div>

Why not? There is a well respected long range shooter up in Canada that has successfully shot a .223 out to a mile, with predictable accuracy. I don't see why it can't be done with a .308.

Here is an excerpt from the article:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6 out of 7 rds well inside a sub MOA rock at "1 mile". I'll take that....
</div></div>

You can read more here: http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/shooting-223-mile-1.php

But if that's possible, I'm sure you could do the same with the .308 round...

Bruce Artus using a Win Mod70 in .308 AI and 220gr SMK's has been well documented as having the longest recorded and witnessed kill on a rodent.

2,067 yds.

His load is 43.8grs H380, 210 Fed Match primers running at 2400fps from an Obermeyer 28" tube.

For more detailed info see Chapeter 5 "Precision Shooting at 1000YDS" by Dave Brennan.

I understand that that he may well have broken that record since the first article was published?

I just bought a AR10 and have not picked out a scope yet. from the max 1000 yard concept what should the max power scope i should consider?(opinions wanted) Just dont want to buy a scope more capable than the gun LOL.

Shot out to 1300 yards with 308. Worked up to it from 500 yards one afternoon, in 100 yard increments. Shot each successive 100 yards with Bushnell laser rangefinder. Gun was a Sako TRG-22, using FGMM 175gr. Scope was a Leupold 8.5-25mm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of my targets are measured out with a 1" leica robotic total station since I am a surveyor. I see a lot of people claim 400 yards then when the targets are lasered they are closer to 200 yards. Easier to measure targets first and know where your at than to shoot and look at what the ballistic app says your comeups are and getting range from that.</div></div>

I did some shooting last month outside of Vegas with a 24" 308, and attempted (unsuccessfully) some shots out at a mile. Poor terrain and an inability to see splashes kept me from hitting anything at a mile, but I did succeed in making consistent hits at 1250 yards. Given another crack at it, I'm fairly certain I could get on target or very close to it at 1760.

Better than screwing around with a LRF is to simply take your GPS device or phone and measure the distance between two points to determine your desired shooting range. If you have the luxury of a large impact area to set up targets, then set the firing position as the initial coordinate, then move out until your distance reading is set to 1760 yards and prepare your target at that spot.

GPS accuracy of 2-3 yards on either spot gives an error of less than 10 yards out to any distance you want - not quite as precise as a perfectly accurate laser rangefinder bouncing off of a reflective target, but even at those distances a 5-10 yard error in range is only going to be about 2-3 feet of vertical shift. In comparison, a 10 FPS jump in muzzle velocity will give you about 15" of vertical shift at that distance. First-round showboating is meaningless, I'm simply hoping to land my first round within a mil or two of the target and compensate for wind from there.

I've shot a 308 out slightly pass 1000 yards at a chest-sized steel plate. However, at least for me, my hit percentage drops below acceptable ranges beyond that. It is not so much predicting drop, but accurately ranging a small target at that distance and more important wind drift and reading it correctly. However, I'm not a "sniper".

using my 18.5" barrel .308 and someone else's ammo (45 grains of varget and a 175 smk, irc) and a wag on the dope, i made a 3rd round hit on a 21" plate at 1500 yards and then several consecutive hits after that. is a 308 ideal for these ranges? hell no. can them make it accurately? sometimes.

I've fired a bolt action .308 out past 1200 yards in competition a few times (1233 yards). We were using the 1000 yard "long-range" target with a 5" 'X' ring. This was on one of the "signature" ranges in Scotland, where the winds were *definitely* not trivial! I don't know that I'd attempt the same with a gas gun, as the ammo I used was specifically loaded for max pressure, to keep my little 155.5's above the transsonic at the target!

1320 is the longest I have taken my 26 inch 308 ... was rather funny as it steel plate (hanging on cables) swung a bit ... shot it with a 7mm next and it really swung it ... then shot it with a 338 EDGE ... knocked the target stand over.

Im with the above posts ... 1100 ish (conditions dependant) is about all thats practical.

I've taken my 26" Pac-Nor, 722 to 1288yds(LRF the pickup that put the targets up) and hit a 20"x26" plate repeatedly w/ 178Amax's over 44gr of Varget.....when the wind cooperated. Other times it's been an exercise in 6.5 envy at 900 when the wind was being a bitch. The 6.5's have a lot going for them comparatively beyond a 1000

Very interesting and some good info. Makes me want to go grab the 308 10 FP LE with 24" heavy and try a mile out, and lay out the 7.62x54r and do the same and see what I come up with.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">308s have certainly made hits at a mile, but it is rare, and not repeatable. I would glady take a $1000 bet with someone claiming to make six out of 10, 11 out of 20, 16/30 etc etc (more often than not with a 10 shot minimum) hits at 1760 yards with a 308.

Practically, the 308 is reliable out to 1100ish yards. </div></div>

I will take that bet if I can use a 50'x50' target!! LOL I am just kidding.

I have <span style="font-weight: bold">heard</span> great things about the Larue OBR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have <span style="font-weight: bold">heard</span> great things about the Larue OBR. </div></div>

I have been emailing Les Baer and not getting much confidence in buying a 308/match rifle from them. Looks like everything is a special order/ :/custom build,Maybe I need to reeducate myself and look out
side

Rob
cool.gif

308 works better at high altitude. (any caliber will). Try 12,000' on a hot day. It will go far.

My one and only time shooting past 600 yards was at front sight. I hit with my Rem. 700 XCR LRT, NF NSX, using 175 southwest reloaded ammunition 3 out of 4 at 1k and 3 out of 7 at 1207 yards. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot that far again. It sure was addicting!!!!

I hit with my 308 at a mile on a 1 moa target, but took several rounds to walk on. Found out my scope base had gotten a little loose though, so I can't speak to consistency. Regardless it is for fun to see if you can, no other practical purpose or application.