• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 FMJ projectile for reloading?

RyeDaddy

Dickhole
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2009
Hellbound in Fort Worth, TX
Not alot of talk about FMJ's here, searching didn't help me any. Looking to get some FMJ's in the 147-150 grain range for reloading in .308 for blasting ammo. Trying to decide between:

Hornady 150 FMJBT
Winchester 147 FMJ
Sierra 150 FMJ

I'm thinking about the Hornady's as I've had good accuracy with their loaded ammo, and they're $4 cheaper per hundred than the other 2 from the distributor I can order from at cost. Being that it'll just be funtime ammo with BUIS cheapest sounds best, but not if they're known to be significantly less accurate than the others. Anything wrong with the Hornady FMJ? I have plenty of match quality bullets, I'm just looking for something cheap without buying milsurp.

If it's pertinent I'm planning on loading them for my POF P-308, not a bolt action.

Re: .308 FMJ projectile for relaoding?

Spend the extra 3-4 cents a bullet and get a bulk box of nosler custom comps from powder valley. No difference between a sierra 168SMK and the nosler 168 and I hear the 155's are accurate too. I think they are having a free shipping sale tomorrow as well I got some email about a labor day somethingrather. You have a nice rifle why feed it crap?

I'm ordering from a distributor at cost. The 3 brands listed are all they carry for FMJ's. At $0.17 a piece I think I'm gonna go with the Hornady's but I haven't made the order yet. I shoot Berger VLD's in most of my rifles, but sometimes when I'm out at the farm and just wanna shoot water jugs and stuff with open sights I don't want to spend alot on bullets.

I'll edit my original post to reflect the above, it was kinda vague. Thanks for the advice anyway.

I use the 150 Hornadys for my .30-'06 Garand loads. Reasonable, accurate enough for a ball ammo load, I have no complaints. FYI, rest of the load: 50.0gr IMR-4064, commercial (R-P, Win) brass, WLR's seated and confirmed at a proper depth.

I don't currently own any .308's.

Greg

I shoot the Hornady 150gr out of my P308 all the time. They're great out to 500M. After that you need 168 or larger. But if your just plinking with buis they will do just fine. I recently moved to the larger bullets to work at longer distances, but that's more for my Rem 700.

If you really want cheap FMJ's check out places like Wideners and Goldenwestbrass they have 147 grain milspec bullets for about 150$ per 1k with shipping last I checked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you really want cheap FMJ's check out places like Wideners and Goldenwestbrass they have 147 grain milspec bullets for about 150$ per 1k with shipping last I checked. </div></div>
Don't hold your breath for Goldenwestbrass's 308 bullets....they have been out of stock for about 2 years and have no idea when they will have more! sucks because they shoot awesome in my p.o.f. and other gas guns.

Thanks everybody. I'm going to order 500 of the Hornady, and look at Widener's for some projectiles to load up and store away in case of zombies. "The Walking Dead" is about start up again after all.
laugh.gif

If plinking ammo is what you are looking to load, check out Rocky Mountain Reloading. They have air pulled 147gr M80 projectiles for $145.00/1000 shipped. They also have some with crimp marks for $100.00/1000 shipped.

I've gotten really good groups with the Widener's 145 gr FMJ's out of my Bushmaster BAR10 A2. (Forerunner of the Rock River .308's) 1 in 10" twist 20".

I load them over 42 gr of surplus 4895 or 42 gr TAC. Max mag length minus .020" just to insure a longer meplat doesn't hang me up. Lightly crimped with Lee factory crimp die. CCI mil primers.