• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.308 gun ½ moa @ 100 yrds Is it better to build..

URAR1004

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Hey guys I’ve really enjoyed reading the forum, I just have a few questions. I want a very accurate .308 gun ½ moa @ 100 yrds Is it better to build a custom or buy stock (Sig Sauer SSG3000, Remington 40-XS, Sako TRG series, Tikka T3 in 308? I’ll only be using 150 to 152.5+/- grain bullets. What is the best barrel length and twist rate? Can a home builder install a custom barrel on an FN SPR action? I’d rather build myself as long as I don’t need a mill or a lathe. I don’t want to spend the money on the best (barrel or Action) I’ll settle for 2nd or 3rd best at least for now, What's the list for 1st, 2nd & 3rd for barrels & actions. I own other bolt guns but I’m looking for something more accurate something I could possibly shoot competitively here in Colorado. Thank you for you help. Happy Thanksgiving!

Re: .308 gun ½ moa @ 100 yrds Is it better to build..

there are about 4 posts about this subject already started with a ton of info on several rifles. plus you can look in the for sale and there are a few nice rifles in there. i dont know anything about any of your selections, so all i can offer you some info. all i have is a savage 10FCPHS and its still unfired

Wow...

Welcome, and fill out your profile.

If you have enjoyed reading this forum so much you should already know about the magical, cheap 1/2 MOA rifle. My advice to you is to grab up some coffee/beer/etc... and spend some time just going throught these pages.

Not to be a dick, but if you have several rifles that will not shoot half MOA, you might be better off looking at improving the software before the hardware.

Although it can be a crap shoot with factory riffles, eventually, you will fall into that 1/2 MOA one.

Have you consider a Savage. You can just have one of the custom barrel makers make you the barrel you want and then get a set of go and no go gauges and install it yourself.

A 1/2 MOA gun doesn't guarantee 1/2 MOA result everytime, or with every shooter....

DesertHK just because my rifle shoots 1/2 MOA at 100 that should mean it shoots 1/2MOA at 1000yds right?????
laugh.gif

It may just be me but it seems your question is a bit conflicting. Maybe you were just asking if you HAVE to buy an expensive rifle like a TRG to get 1/2moa. Is that what you meant?

The short answer is no.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Option 1</span>
If you are a do it yourselfer than a Savage can be purchased and you can order a pre-threaded and chambered barrel from Benchmark for $495 and a cheap set of headspace gauges and do it yourself. Compliment this with a Sharpshooter Supply trigger and bed the recoil lug yourself and Viola! 1/2moa. Total cost would be about $1000

<span style="color: #FF0000">Option 2</span>
Buy a Remington SPS Varmint for $450 (after rebate). Send it to Benchmark and have a barrel installed, action blue printed, stock bedded, and trigger tuned all for less than $1000 and you will have a gauraunteed sub 1/2moa rifle for a total cost of about $1450. (add about $500 for a Mcmillan stock)

<span style="color: #FF0000">Option 3</span>
Buy a TRG and go shoot. Alot more than Option 1&2 combined! But one sweet rifle.

I think the Remington is the option of my choice. You would have a nice rifle that would out shoot you for a long time. You could always upgrade to a nicer rifle later and still have a good resale as opposed to the Savage. However it is a known fact that the Savages are cheap and unexplainably accurate. They are not my cup of tea however. The bolt is sloppy and the trigger leaves much to be desired (except the target action). Full customs are nice but there is a law of diminishing returns. You may spend $3500 on your fully custom rifle just to find that it shoots maybe a few 10ths better. Some will offer a 3/8 or even 1/4 moa gaurauntee but you will most likely get 3/8moa from the trued Remington. Is 1/8 more moa worth $2000+ more? It is to some and maybe you too after you shoot awhile.

The key to all of this is a good barrel.<span style="color: #FF0000"> DONT SKIMP ON THE BARREL!!. </span>70%+ of the rifles accuracy comes from the barrel/chamber job. Get a Benchmark either way. They run $250 for a barrel blank.

Re: .308 gun ½ moa @ 100 yrds Is it better to bui

Thank you for the Posts/replys, I just got back from Thanksgiving dinner, fell asleep on the couch, I was woken up and 10 of us shoot pumpkins and Tannerite. One of the funnest Thanksgivings ever. I hope all of you had just as much fun. I'll keep reading But does anyone know the optimum twist rate for 150 grain bullets. What would be the optimal barrel length too? Is a substantial about of accuracy lost when using and 18in barrel similar to the .308 group buy gun from someone in Utah??

I think the 155 gr lapua scenars are awesome for long range.
I would use 1-12 twist for 168 and down

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the 155 gr lapua scenars are awesome for long range.
I would use 1-12 twist for 168 and down </div></div>

Absolutely!

As far as barrel length, shorter stiffer barrels tend to have better harmonics. There will be a slight loss in velocity on an 18" barrel but if anything it is considered to be a little MORE accurate. If you want the 150 class bullet go with the Scenar, or Berger if you plan on hunting with it. If i was planning on shooting past 600yds i would want more velocity than an 18" barrel would offer.

After doing a lot of testing on my Rem 5R I came to the conclusion that I wasted a metric shit ton of money on different bullets when all I had to do was take peoples avdice and just use 155 Scenars. There really is no reason to choose another bullet over the Scenars for .308 It has the same BC as the 175SMK's but with way more speed.

best twist for 150gr bullets - about 13 twist. To get 1/2 moa consistantly, I would buy a good savage and then get into reloading and shoot F-Class TR. In a year you will know what you are doing and you won't have gone through 3 rifles and $5k. Good luck.

i know where a guy could get a sweet 308 with all the bells and whistels for about 3400.00
shoots under .25 moa at a 100
grin.gif