• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 help

Rlt102389

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2012
Virginia Beach, Virginia
After doing the ladder test, I boiled it down to these 3 loads. 44.4, 44.5, and 44.6 grains of varget, with 175 grain SMK with CCI BR2 primers. COAL was 2.800. I did 6 shots with each load. The 44.4 was by far the worst, and the 44.5 and 44.6 were better, but not as good as I was hoping for. I am shooting an R 700 AAC SD.

I am new to reloading for rifle. Is this as good as I can expect to do? What suggestions do you have to tighten these groups up a bit? This was at 100 yards. Sorry for the sideways pictures, not sure how to change it

15frya8.jpg

1zyivyx.jpg

2hzmqfd.jpg

Re: .308 help

What does it shoot like with a factory load like black hills or fgmm?

This is the only picture I have of a shot group with the gun, but this is 2 shots at 100 yards with hornady 168 grain BTHP, so I know it can shoot well. Is it possible to get reloads this tight, or close to being this tight?

2e0paio.jpg

Yep it sure is. It should shoot as good if not better. What type of dies are you using? Are the smks pulled bullets? I bought some pulled bullets and they will not shoot in my rifle.

Stop using Varget and try CFE223 or 2000MR. mMybe get some good bullets like the Hornady AMAXs,too?

No they are brand new bullets. What increments should I do from 40.5 up to 42? Would that still give me decent velocity out of a 20 inch barrel? I am using lee dies

I have a .308 that will not shoot any load to suit me with varget. However it does well with 4046 and CFE 223. I like the CFE because it meters like a dream.

Was the barrel hot when you shot them?

I have a Reminton LTR that loves 44.2grn of varget. 43.8 and below or 44.4 and above and it shoots about like yours 1+"

I'd get a box of match ammo with 175 since that is what you are shooting for comparison. Your gun may not like 175 bullets.

Thanks for all of the advice. Yes the barrel was hot when I shot them, but I have shot with a hot barrel before with factory ammunition, and it still shot very well. Would that possibly make a difference with the reloads? I am using Hornady brass since I have about 200+ once fired laying around.

And my go to load for my sps tactical is winchester brass, 44.5 varget with the bullets seated to a COAL of 2.825" (they vary a little but that would be my adv.) and I use winchester and cci primers. This load was found with the OCW method. My rifle gives 2550 fps with this load. I have some hornady brass as well and I dont remember much if an difference between it and winchester with the load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rlt102389</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How tight is all of y'all's grouping? </div></div>
My 308 SPSS pretty much puts em in .5MOA out to 300yds, 5 shots always. But I mightve got lucky with this group @300yds. My best at 600yds went 4.7" with 47grs CFE223 and 168AMAXs.
IMG_0446-1.jpg

A bit dated (2-3 years ago) but this is a pic of 5 at 700y, the low hit was shooting outside of my respiratory pause... 20" plate and can of chew for ref, about 4 into ~5". This is my standard steel smacking load. Typically it will hold between .4-.6 moa at 100y and on a good day I may do a little better than that.

Forsale008.jpg

My Savage loves the Varget (44.0 gr) with the 175 Sierra Match King, but alternatively it would never do good with the 168 gr. any bullet brand. If your rifle has the 1 / 11.25 twist barrel you may not get the results you want, but try the Varget with the 168's and see what happens. All guns like different things. I have had 2 different Savage Rifles and they both liked different powder charges.

Good Luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What brass? Winchester? If win brass it's going to be either 43.5 or 45 for accuracy and then play with seating depth. </div></div>

+1

45.0 Varget with 178 A-Max and 45.2 Varget with 175 SMK both in Win brass gets me 1/2 MOA at 300 yds in my Remington 5R.

With Varget 43.6 gr gave me the best results - Lapua brass, NCC 168 gr bullet & Win LRP. Based on drops at 300 yds and 600 yds I estimate the muzzle velocity at 2600 fps. I can get more velocity without pressure signs but the groups open up so I'm sticking with the 43.6 gr charge. The rifle is Remy 700 action with a Pacnor barrel.

600ydtarget120212_zps547918c8.jpg

First question is what type of rile and how is it set up?
Shooting tighter groups than those is very doable, if you rig is capable--and you! When seeking accuracy there are so many varibles, from breathing, trigger control, how your rifle is rested, how your rifle fits you, how your rifle is bedded, what scope, scope mounts, type of bullet,powder etc. Your rifle may not like the bullet as another poster mentioned, the powder you are using, and most of all to me is the question of what kind of rig are you using, and how is it set up. Your rest alone can determine if you can shoot as tight as you're seeking to.

So I decided to test a few more loads, and here is what I got. the 43.4 grain load was great except for 1 flier. 3 inside a dime, and the 4th inside a quarter. Should I stick with this load, or what is yalls recommendation? Any idea what kind of velocity I can expect from a 20 inch barrel with 43.4 grains using 175 SMKs.

1yvo0h.jpg

1677e3q.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rlt102389</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I decided to test a few more loads, and here is what I got. the 43.4 grain load was great except for 1 flier. 3 inside a dime, and the 4th inside a quarter. Should I stick with this load, or what is yalls recommendation? Any idea what kind of velocity I can expect from a 20 inch barrel with 43.4 grains using 175 SMKs.

1677e3q.jpg
</div></div>

From my limited experience, if you can claim that flyer, that looks like a good load. A little vertical stringing, but not bad. Any idea the velocity there?

Try jumping those SMK's about .020" off the lands. My go to load is 43.3 gr Varget 175 SMK, LC brass and Federal 210M primers. Shoot .5 MOA all day long out to 500yds (furthest I've been able to test until I go to my 850yd range) this is with a REM 700 sps varmint in a B&C A5 bedded, Nothing special.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rlt102389</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1677e3q.jpg
</div></div>

If this pic is turned 90* like the others, most of your spread is horizontal not verticle. Double check your technique, maybe have another shooter you trust shoot the rifle and load....see if it groups the same for him or her. Good luck.

okie

Yes the picture is turned sideways. I don't have the velocity down for that load. I shot this off of a lead sled so shooter error would be at a minimum. Should I try this load (43.4 g)at 200 yards and see how it shoots along with the 45 grain load? Is it normal to get that much of a difference in grouping from .1 grains?

im newer to reloading also. it took me about 200 rounds before i was able to develop a load that could shoot .5 moa.

the thing i have found to be most important is make sure your powder is exact for one round to the next. I know this may sound dumb but like most others who are new to reloading, we start out on crappy scales like the lee one that comes in a kit. just make sure you double check your measurements and be as anal as possible.

my second recommendation is play with different bullets. My gun hates the 178 vmax but will eat the hell out of 168gr smk