• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report .308 Hornady 178 bthp non super performance

GhostFace

Verified Asshole
Minuteman
  • Apr 1, 2003
    Indiana
    I just received my order of this and I will be posting my results using an AR-10T and a 700 in an AI stock. Just to be clear this is not the SP stuff so there should be no problems running this in a gasser. I have not seen anyone post anything about this ammo
    Yet and I figured I would if anyone is interested. I plan on hitting the range on Sunday or Monday ....

Re: .308 Hornady 178 bthp non super performance

Cool. I just got a box of 178 Amax to try in my .308 AR. I'll check back here on your bthp findings.

Damn I didn't know they had a 178 amax load!

I'm talking about loaded ammo, although I have hand loaded the amax with great success... I'll see if I can post a pic from my iPhone.

i wasn't aware of any AMAX factory loads either, i know they have some that LOOK like the AMAX, but those are actually the SST's. I might be interested in some factory 178gr loads to compare against my handloads.

For my .308, that's the only bullet i use anymore and have nothing but good things to say about them.

EDIT: just re-read the OP, saw you were talking about the BTHP's, i've thought about giving them a shot, but haven't been able to find them for loading, but since i've been so happy with the AMAX's i haven't really tried too hard.

I shot 200 rounds of the Non-Supercormance a while back. It shot about 3/4"-1 moa from 100-300 but it shot around 1/2 moa out to 730 yards.

I had McCourt load mine after that, better performance from 100-300 and same or better farther out.

The factory Hornady was pretty warm.

Be looking forward to your report Ghost. Like you, I've been using the 178 Amax's for yrs in my AR10T and LTR but after I shoot up the almost 1k or so I have, I may give the 178 hpbt match a serious try just to gain a little BC. Read some good stuff about them. They'll have to be good to show up the A Max's.

Okie

Okie,

I can see why the BC is higher, it looks almost like a VLD bullet. It looks alot sleeker than the AMAX. At first I had my doubts if it would fit in a mag. I won't make it to the range today but I will tomorrow morning....

First of all I must appologize in advance, I was irriated by the heat and sweat into my eyes. Also I was fighting with Wasps that had a nest close by so my groups were not the best and I forgot to photograph all of them as I was ready to get to a cool air conditioned truck.

I fired two types of ammo, 168 TAP as the control round and the new 178 standard pressure match round. I will echo what someone else already said, the 178 is hot. I had a 3/4 MOA shift high with the 178 compared to the 168. Recoil was a little more with the 178 and the brass was thrown about a foot further away. I did not experience any malfunctions and no signs of pressure was seen on the case head. I will say the brass of the 178 comes out cleaner! I run a can and the TAP are very dirty.

I only shot for groups a 100 yards, two five shot groups and one 10 shot group. I managed to move out to 730 yards to shoot at a head sized gong and with the 168 I required 28 MOA, the 178 required 26.5. Both shot with about the same accuracy at this distance.

Next time I go out it will be later in the day, not at noon. Maybe my groups will be tighter and I can shoot on paper at 500 yards or so. I think at closer distance the 168 shoots tighter in the AR-10. I didn't bother taking out the Rem 700.

photo.jpg

Here is the stick.....

P1020289.jpg

Details on the rifle! That's a great looking rig and shoots very well.

Nothing exotic, Armalite AR-10T cut down to 18 inches, PRI adjustable gas block, DMR trigger and SWS rail. I'm pretty sure I can tighten up the 178 groups but the heat, wasps and sweat was killing me! I drank all 100 oz water in my first hour and I swear I sweated it all out. I laid a mat on the ground and the sucker would burn your skin if I got up to stand in the shade for a few minutes....

Don't worry about the groups with the 178's. My custom bolt gun didn't shoot the factory stuff very well at 100 yards either, maybe 1 moa. It shined in my gun out past 300 yards though.

Use the 178 stuff for comps or something and the 168 Tap Precision for shooting groups or comps more geared towards precision shots.

I said it earlier though, my custom load from McCourt was 178 bthp's over Varget, and it shot just as well or better then FGMM moving around 30fps faster.

Next time I go out I will take the chrony to clock the ammo, I am curious to see how fast the 178 is going. Plus I need the info anyway to plug into my phone. If I can't get to it this week I will do it in two weeks.

with the right load it shoots 1/2 in groups and better in my bolt gun

still working on the gas gun

What sized groups are you getting out of the gas gun? What kind of gas gun is it?

Okay, I didn't have time to drive to the long distance range so I could only shoot out to 100 yards. I also zeroed a new scope and this may have helped with the groups. I used a Leupold M3 before and I replaced it with a Vortex PST 6-24x50. Disregard the upper left group. I fired two shots the some butterflied were playing in front of that diamond and I tried to hit them but as you can see I missed and fumbled up the group. The shot in the center of the four diamonds is my forst shot in the lower right group, I fudged the pull. The shot between the tow pieces of paper is from me zeroing my micro dot. All in all I am happy with the 178 at close range, I am sure the will perform out to 800 yards. I will test that next week.

photo-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GhostFace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What sized groups are you getting out of the gas gun? What kind of gas gun is it? </div></div>

Gap ar10. 1.25inches at 100yards

lol...what is it about an insect on target that makes you not be able to resist. I've missed some too but when you do splatter one....it makes it all worth while.
    wink.gif
    Nice groups.

okie

I will also be testing the same bullet out af an AR10. I will be doing pressure tests tonight.

Cruze5,

What type of bolt gun do you use with the 178's, Rem 700 ? 24 inch barrel ? 1-10 twist..what is the speed also ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CnCTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cruze5,

What type of bolt gun do you use with the 178's, Rem 700 ? 24 inch barrel ? 1-10 twist..what is the speed also ? </div></div>

H2 harbinger (rem 700). 24" 1/10 twist broghton.

Avg speed 2880 with 43.8 grains of varget behind it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CnCTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow..that's fast. You must be using a federal case correct ? </div></div>

Lake city, federal, and some black hills brass

But mostly federal. Yes