• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing .308 lays down the law for me once again

B Man

Little Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2010
South side of Big River
I shot this old brute on 11/12 up in Kentucky on our lease. The big boys had slowed way down with the warmer temps. With a big front moving in Monday at daylight I started getting excited that this is what they needed to get back motivated behind this system. I slept in first thing with the heaviest rain and thunderstorms in the front of the system and waited till 12 pm to head to the stand. After I came to my stand it was 61* at 12.30pm and by 2 pm it had dropped to 44* but the rain and wind was not slowing up any at all but with the weather forecast showing the rain and winds slacking up around 4-5 pm I had high hopes since there was not any movement all day. At around 4.45 the rain stopped and the wind all but came to a stop just a light breeze. I knew that this should put deer to moving before sunset and 5 min later I got a text from my dad saying he had several deer out on him and young bucks chasing all around him. In the middle of my text to him I looked up and a doe was stepping out. She fed for a few minutes acting real spooky but would look my way as much as she did behind her so it had me confused if something was behind her. With one last look behind her she bolted on across the ridge I was on and I figured a buck was pushing her. I got my rifle ready and watched but nothing, 15-20 seconds went by still nothing. Then I heard something behind me so I turned to look and over the 5 seconds it had taken to glance behind me and turn back around there was my buck his head already easing in the brush. I could tell by his body stature and build he was a big mature deer but I could only glimpse tines in the brush as he walked but it looked like fingers held up so I quickly decided to take the shot solely on his body size. I whistled loudly but he insisted to keep walking as his mind was on other things so I quickly run the crosshairs tight to his shoulder through a small opening between two big live oaks and took the shot. The recoil knocked my eye out for a split second but as I got back in the scope thought I could see his rear legs in the air. I gave it a few minutes and started easing down the ridge into the saddle he was crossing and there I found lung blood 5' up a cedar tree. The blood trail was like nothing I had seen from even my magnums. He managed to carry it 50 yards down hill finally crashing into a small oak holding him from rolling down. bullet entered tight to the shoulder and exit was a few ribs back with a 2" hole in the exit on the rib cage catching a rib and about a quarter size exit in the hide. Insides were jello with mo wasted meat.

Rifle Remington 5r milspec
Caliber .308
Load hand rolled 178 gr AMax at 2610 fps.
Distance 110 yards. ( not really long range but not much is here)

I'm not trying to promote anyone to shoot AMax at game animals since it is a match bullet but the 178 AMax at 308 velocities has just been magic on the range and in the field for me at all ranges. It's been nice to use the same load I shoot all season at the range In the woods.

He weighed 219lbs on scales & was badly run down.

IMAG0166-1.jpg

IMG957893.jpg

IMG956334-1.jpg

Re: .308 lays down the law on whitetail

Congrats, very nice buck.

Sometimes target bullets do well on game. I recently switched to the Berger VLD hunting bullets for my pronghorn load of choice.

Hammers them in the 6.5 and shoots exactly like the VLD Target bullets in my match barrel.

It's always nice to know exactly how your hunting bullets will fly after being so practiced with them on the range the rest of the year.

I am in the middle of building a .308 for yet another hunting rifle. I am looking forward to putting one on the ground with it. I may look into that bullet and give it a try.

Nice KY whitetail!!!

What county did ya get him in?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good job as was noted in another thread...those 5r's and AMAX's tend to get a bit deadly!!
smile.gif
</div></div>

Yeah I believe that was me from my Halloween buck. Besides some cheap Fmj's to break in the barrel and some smk's from time to time, AMax's is all it has had a steady diet of and has done quiet well so far.

Pulaski county, and thanks

Awesome buck.

Re: .308 lays down the law for me once again

That's a dandy buck! Amax's work for me, very typical to SMK performance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm not trying to promote anyone to shoot AMax at game animals since it is a match bullet but the 178 AMax at 308 velocities has just been magic on the range and in the field for me at all ranges.
</div></div>

There is nothing wrong with promoting something that works!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It's been nice to use the same load I shoot all season at the range In the woods. </div></div>

Thats the same reason I use match bullets every season.

Thanks for the story too. Like I needed another reason to long for going out in the woods. And about the A-Max, they are great ammo, and I believe accuracy is the most important variable in deadly hunting rounds anyway.
Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I've been blessed this year with my Halloween buck and this deer here to both be taken in the same season only 2 weeks apart. Also I appreciate the kind words about the hunting story its nice when the stars align and all the pieces of the puzzle you picked out from scouting come together as this did with this buck.

To everyone I hope you have a great remainder of the season! I've been hearing a lot of people talking of a lingering rut and still seeing a good bit of sign and old bucks on there feet. Best to everyone!