• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 loads

JG_PA_308

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2013
What have been the best loads for a .308 with 1:10'' twist for any of you guys? I haven't ever reloaded before, but looking to get into it and would like to have an idea of what would give me the best accuracy. Specifically out of a Savage Axis.

Re: 308 loads

Typically a 1:10 twist will allow many different weights of bullets to be fired accurately. You will have to find out what your rifle likes best. With your twist the heavier bullets will be most accurate. My 1:10 Shilen barrel loves 180 grain+ bullets.

Sierra manual accuracy load is 180 grain HPBT with 39 grains of VV 540 powder. Get one of these manuals, lots of good info and they recommend a accurate load for the calibers in their manual.

Typically a 1:10 twist will allow many different weights of bullets to be fired accurately. You will have to find out what your rifle likes best. With your twist the heavier bullets will be most accurate. My 1:10 Shilen barrel loves 180 grain+ bullets.

Sierra manual accuracy load is 180 grain HPBT with 39 grains of VV 540 powder. Get one of these manuals, lots of good info and they recommend a accurate load for the calibers in their manual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bear24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooting targets or game? And at what ranges? </div></div>

mostly groundhogs really, and some targets as well. Long range too, never really shot past 200 yards on targets but have over 300 with the .243 on a groundhog. I'd say 400-800 yards, maybe try 1000 once.

Hornady A-max 168
44.0 gr Varget
Case length 2.005"
COL 2.80"
Full length sized brass
Pretty much any decent primer

Repeateable 0.50MoA (and less) from my DPMS LR308.

14v07ti.jpg

Sierras accuracy load 40.5 imr 4064 190smk lc lr brass 210m 2.81-2 coal is an absolute hammer out of my remmy 700 ltr 1 in 10"...like a homing missle lol..consistant ragged holes @ 100..from what I hear a lot of people have good luck with this load...hope this helps...btw great whitetail load....imo

I worked up a load for my FN SPR 24" 1-12 twist. and I am getting around 2740fps with 44.7g varget, 178g Hornady HPBT Match, Federal GMM brass and FGMM primers.

I highly suggest this giving this bullet a try in your 308 for long distance shooting. It seems to jump well in my testing as I load it to 2.815 (mag length)and that's nowhere near the lands. It's higher BC keep it super sonic out to 1300yards where as the Amax barely makes it to the 1000yard mark Super sonic. Although the Amax may have a slight advantage for hunting.

Bear 24,
thanks for the recommendation for someone getting started in reloading. Quick question....when you say Federal GMM primers are those 210m's?

Have you ever used the CCI BR2's as an alternative? I have had a hard time finding either so I am wondering how interchangable they might be.

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bear 24,
thanks for the recommendation for someone getting started in reloading. Quick question....when you say Federal GMM primers are those 210m's?

Have you ever used the CCI BR2's as an alternative? I have had a hard time finding either so I am wondering how interchangable they might be.

Thanks.</div></div>

Yes the FGMM are the 210m's. I have not tried the BR2's as they are quite a bit more pricy and have just stuck with the 210m's. But if you work up a load with them you should get the same results with both.