• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

(.308) LWRC vs LaRue vs LMT

PreBandit

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2006
S.CT
I would love to see a head to head discussion/competition of features, benefits and performance between the:

Billet Receiver LWRC REPER - $3,500. w/ BUIS
One 20 round mag shipped & Magpul PRS

Billet Receiver Larue OBR - $3,000. W/out BUIS
Base Model comes complete with A2 Rifle Stock and A2 Grip, A2 Flash Hider, plus two M110-compatible, 20-round magazines

Forged Receiver LMT : .308 Modular Weapon System - $2,500 w/BUIS
Ships with a sling, operator's manual, tactical adjustable rear sight, tactical front sight, (1) twenty-round magazine, torque wrench/driver and (3) rail panels.

Does anyone have first hand experience with all 3 platforms?

Re: (.308) LWRC vs LaRue vs LMT

Not with all three but I had the opportunity to shoot the 20" LWRC REPR this weekend. I was beyond impressed with it, thing is like a precision watch in its attention to detail and fit and finish. Shot right with my .260 bolt rifle at 700ish. I had to ditched my SASS back a while ago since it was about as consistent as a teenage girl but if I could scrounge the lots of coin together for the LWRC it would make the cut for sure.

EDIT: Also loved the left side charging handle and ambi bolt release. One of those things that you really appreciate when its on the rifle as to how much easier it makes using it in a precision rifle role.

LMT .308 is not out yet. It did win the British sharpshooter competition and was rewarded a contract because of it.

I am a dealer for LMT as well as LWRC. LaRue tells me they have no dealers, which irks me mightily. Even so, I ordered one last year. I have had their sniper targets for some years and their customer service is remarkable. And they are in Texas:)

The LWRC rifle is a piston driven action.

Both the LaRue and LMT 7.62s are conventional DI gas system.

I have sold a few LWRC rifles and the fit and finish of them is pretty amazing. They are "prettier" than LMT rifles, are great shooters and have very good customer service.

I find LMT's to be great/accurate shooters with good customer service.

I have three REPR's in my shop right now, and own a 16" version I am keeping. I have not been able to shoot it on an ideal day with a great optic, but it is easily sub MOA in my clumsy hands. I shot one 100yd 3 round group at .380 and a final 4th round flyer. This was with an AAC SCAR H can. I am not sure I can repeat it. Fed GMM 168

I have transferred through a couple of OBR's. One 16" for a client. One 18" as a keeper for me. That rifle came with a .488 test target.

The fit and finish on the two OBR's I have handled is flat gorgeous. Upper/lower fit on rear lug is line/line. I saw no flaws, finish or otherwise on either rifle.

I like certain features of the LWRC and vice versa on the OBR.

The side charger on the LWRC is a great feature when shooting prone. I really like the LWRC piston feature when shooting suppressed. It's gas system is four position adjustable.

The OBR system can be tuned down for shooting suppressed, but not "off."

Have not received any LMT .308's yet, but I am sure they will be a terrific weapon, and the price is very attractive.

Nice to have so many choices.

Now, what optic should I put on the OBR?

I'd go with the REPR if I had the choice, especially if you're going to ever shoot it suppressed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go with the REPR if I had the choice, especially if you're going to ever shoot it suppressed. </div></div>
I understand it will be cleaner to shoot the Piston system with a Can, but with that side charging handle wouldn't it be a bit louder? That is a serious consideration, I will be shooting suppressed

"Now, what optic should I put on the OBR?"
Mine will be Sporting an SN3 TPAL behind a Knights UNS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FeedsTheNeed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Now, what optic should I put on the OBR? </div></div>

Loaded question, depends on what you're going to do with and how much you want to spend.

But not to derail the thread. I just received my 18" OBR last week and have to say it makes me giddy like a school girl. The fit, finish, and quality of the entire gun is second to none. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

I shoot suppressed almost 100% of time, and have shot both my POF 20" piston rifle and my 16" REPR quite a lot with the SCAR H.

To my ears there is no difference in sound. The POF does leak a lot more of the blown back gas through the rear of the receiver. I know, they are both piston rifles - but I do get lot more gas up the nose from the POF.

The charging handle doesn't reciprocate, if you think that might make it louder.

My buddies 16" OBR is worse than either, but not as bad as a typical AR.

LWRC REPR has experienced a few growing pains and complaints lately. Not saying they are a POS but I question the price and the problems that may not be fixed yet.

Other than SHOT this year I have not messed with the OBR. It looks great and Larue is known for building shit right.

Now the LMT I am stoked about. I have one complete LMT carbine in 556 and two other 556 uppers. I am blown away at the LMT quality. Fit, function and price is unmatched.

I am holding out for the LMT for two reasons. Price and function. For me, I don't see the Larue or LWRC offering anything that special for the wait and the price..... Though if I had a money tree I'd own all three.

I love the fact that I can switch my REPR to "c" and shoot it like a bolt and if the situation arises... "n" for Not fucking around anymore... best of both world's in my opinion. I picked up my REPR about a month and 1/2 ago... no issues at all and solid moa setup. Great Semi to say the least (not taking anything away from the other 2 makes).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Now the LMT I am stoked about. I have one complete LMT carbine in 556 and two other 556 uppers. I am blown away at the LMT quality. Fit, function and price is unmatched. </div></div>

+1 to this. My piston LMT MRP is the nicest AR I've ever shot. I've never ever had a bad LMT peice. As soon as I can I'll be picking up the new 7.62 version, even if I have to sell both my SASS and my AP4 to do it.

Personally I would NOT get the LWRC right now. Not until they get the magazine issue resolved. My buddy has a 16" one and it DOES NOT function with Knights mags, or Magpul mags. In my personal opinion I do not want a rifle that only functions with 1 brand of magazine. Also the magazine that does go with the rifle is so darn loose it rattles around inside the magazine well like its built out of spec. I know there are alot of LWRC fans here but it says something about their attention to detail letting this kind of product out. Read more on LWRC forums, its not an isolated thing either.

Point taken... I must be lucky b/c the REPR I got runs all three mags with no issues. If my REPR runs as well as my LWRC M6A2 I won't have to buy another gun again... just rebarrel it.

I just got my REPR about 3 weeks ago. Its shooting sub moa at 100yds pretty consistantly.
I love the left side charging handle, a great innovation.
I will shoot it further in the next week or two. Fit and finish is flawless, though there are some problems with the CProducts magazine, LWRC knows about this an will fix the problem soon.

Tomcat

I have to say, I do like the side charging of the LWRC and Piston upper.....BUT, I'm not sure it is worth an additional $900. over the $2500. I am going to pay for the OBR.
Not to mention the magazine issues previously stated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24kinnamon_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Point taken... I must be lucky b/c the REPR I got runs all three mags with no issues. If my REPR runs as well as my LWRC M6A2 I won't have to buy another gun again... just rebarrel it. </div></div>

Agree the REPR I ran worked perfect with all the mags. The fit and finish like I said were incredible no where close to maybe out of spec? Maybe I shot a really good one? For the additional money you get a piston system, side charging handle, ambi controls, PRS stock etc... sounds like a deal to me. If I were going to spend 2500+ on conventional setup DI AR's it would be a GAP custom personaly.

LWRC is really sounding like the one for Suppressed shooting.
Any clue if it is as accurate as the other two?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PreBandit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LWRC is really sounding like the one for Suppressed shooting.
Any clue if it is as accurate as the other two? </div></div>

Why do you say that? With the PST (port selector technology) on the OBR <span style="text-decoration: line-through">I'm sure</span> <span style="font-style: italic">I know</span> it will function great with a can attached from all the testing LaRue has done.

I shoot suppressed, both with the REPR and non piston rifles. I have shot an OBR suppressed.

The major difference is gas blow back into the receivers from the DI system as on conventional ARs and the OBR. Yes the port selector reduces the gas coming into the receiver from the operating system, but it does not eliminate it. It still uses gas blowing into the BCG to operate the system.

You will get less gas/fouling in the receiver and trigger group with a piston rifle, suppressed or not.

I plan on shooting my OBR suppressed most of the time, but I know I am going to have to clean it (BCG and lower receiver)much more often than my piston rifles.

What about Noveske? He is supposed to build a very accurate upper on either a Vltor lower or a LMT lower. I am not sure of the wait though.
From what I have researched you could build a very high quality gun that is sub moa.
Gary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hitman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally I would NOT get the LWRC right now. Not until they get the magazine issue resolved. My buddy has a 16" one and it DOES NOT function with Knights mags, or Magpul mags. In my personal opinion I do not want a rifle that only functions with 1 brand of magazine. Also the magazine that does go with the rifle is so darn loose it rattles around inside the magazine well like its built out of spec. I know there are alot of LWRC fans here but it says something about their attention to detail letting this kind of product out. Read more on LWRC forums, its not an isolated thing either. </div></div>

+ 1 for LWRC. Their customer service is second to none. Saying that the magwell is out of spec is not an accurate statement since all mags are not created equal. My understanding is that LWRC has addressed the mag issue. The early models were designed around a C products mag. Unfortunately the 7.62 Magpul mag was not out when this gun hit the market. Nonetheless, LWRC has changed the tollerance so that the mag rides deeper into the chamber to eliminate the feeding problem. In addition, the early models can be sent back to the factory for a slight modification.

Just got my LWRC REPR with an 18" barrel today. Looking forward to hitting the range on Saturday. Have both a C products mag and a Magpul mag and some M118LR ammo. Hopefully I will not run into any magazine issues.

Need to decide on what optics I am going to drop on it.

I like the REPR, but as stated, have had issues with getting it to run 100% with any mag. Going to send the lower back to LWRC and have them mod the lower and mag catch and see if it will finally work. Watch the video for the malfunction at :40 seconds - lucky to have gotten that many rounds off. PMAGs were jamming after one or two shots.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oS5uVXWBDo0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oS5uVXWBDo0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

how does the repr shoot ball-m-80 at 100 yds /200 yds ,has anybody try this yet??

I recently bought the REPR 16". The only issue I has was the bas block was pretty tight to turn. I gave it a good cleaning with solvent then a good soaking in lube and it loosened right up. I love the fact you can choose suppressed, normal, closed, or adverse (dirty as hell). No issues feeding or extracting with FGMM or my hand loads. I have only used C-P mags though.

I'm grouping average .75 right now. I could use some work on my AR-platform shooting technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3BK5UekDFg

First off, I am a noob to this board. Forgive me.

But I do own one of the first 50 LMT MWS out of the factory. It is a beautifully crafted weapon that is more accurate than I am. I mounted a SWFA SS 3-9x42 scope (GG&G QD mount) that I am very happy with, Troy BUIS and Harris bipod (LaRue QD mount).

This thing loves any ammo I throw at it and I can shoot MOA groups with NATO ball ammo at 100 and 200yds. My buddy can shoot sub-MOA groups with this gun using ball. The talk is that the DI version was slightly more accurate than the piston gun - so that is what was what was submitted for the British trials.

This rifle exudes quality and the fit and finish is fantastic. I gave $2395 for it and probably would have paid more, if necessary.

LWRC has been very responsive, as they took my REPR back for the fix. These things happen and the REPR is a fine weapon. I am looking forward to testing the LMT, and have high hopes it will perform well too. I do not shoot supressed, so that is not a consideration.

The two REPRs I've owned have been so/so. Accurate but not reliable enough to trust my life to. The gas valve on both my rifles was (notice that is past-tense...both rifles are gone)also very hard, if not impossible, to turn after a 100 rounds or so or when it's hot. Not what I like to see in a $3500 rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Side16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hitman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally I would NOT get the LWRC right now. Not until they get the magazine issue resolved. My buddy has a 16" one and it DOES NOT function with Knights mags, or Magpul mags. In my personal opinion I do not want a rifle that only functions with 1 brand of magazine. Also the magazine that does go with the rifle is so darn loose it rattles around inside the magazine well like its built out of spec. I know there are alot of LWRC fans here but it says something about their attention to detail letting this kind of product out. Read more on LWRC forums, its not an isolated thing either. </div></div>

+ 1 for LWRC. Their customer service is second to none. Saying that the magwell is out of spec is not an accurate statement since all mags are not created equal. My understanding is that LWRC has addressed the mag issue. The early models were designed around a C products mag. Unfortunately the 7.62 Magpul mag was not out when this gun hit the market. Nonetheless, LWRC has changed the tollerance so that the mag rides deeper into the chamber to eliminate the feeding problem. In addition, the early models can be sent back to the factory for a slight modification. </div></div>

Yeah but the repr is second to all. The current released repr rifles still have an OUT of tolerance magwell. Insert a Pmag into an LMT 308 and its a tight fit like a 16 yo virgin. Insert same pmag into the repr and its a BB in a boxcar or like a 50 yo crack whore fit. Sorry but band-aid'ing a larger mag catch to take up the slop or whatever is not a fix its a bandaid.

And I asked the lwrc rep to post a paper with 10 shots of 10 here and he never "got back to me". Guess it wont shoot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Side16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hitman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally I would NOT get the LWRC right now. Not until they get the magazine issue resolved. My buddy has a 16" one and it DOES NOT function with Knights mags, or Magpul mags. In my personal opinion I do not want a rifle that only functions with 1 brand of magazine. Also the magazine that does go with the rifle is so darn loose it rattles around inside the magazine well like its built out of spec. I know there are alot of LWRC fans here but it says something about their attention to detail letting this kind of product out. Read more on LWRC forums, its not an isolated thing either. </div></div>

+ 1 for LWRC. Their customer service is second to none. Saying that the magwell is out of spec is not an accurate statement since all mags are not created equal. My understanding is that LWRC has addressed the mag issue. The early models were designed around a C products mag. Unfortunately the 7.62 Magpul mag was not out when this gun hit the market. Nonetheless, LWRC has changed the tollerance so that the mag rides deeper into the chamber to eliminate the feeding problem. In addition, the early models can be sent back to the factory for a slight modification. </div></div>

Yeah but the repr is second to all. The current released repr rifles still have an OUT of tolerance magwell. Insert a Pmag into an LMT 308 and its a tight fit like a 16 yo virgin. Insert same pmag into the repr and its a BB in a boxcar or like a 50 yo crack whore fit. Sorry but band-aid'ing a larger mag catch to take up the slop or whatever is not a fix its a bandaid.

And I asked the lwrc rep to post a paper with 10 shots of 10 here and he never "got back to me". Guess it wont shoot? </div></div>

It will shoot. My experience has been at least MOA with factory ammo with average 5 shot groups around 0.75 MOA with Federal SMK (either 168 or 175). I did a 10 round group at 200 yards with an extreme spread of 2.8 inches including the cold bore shot with 175 grain Federal SMK. Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you some pics of my set up and targets (I've tried posting pics on this forum with little success). I live near Charlotte and have access to a 300-yard range that your welcome to visit if you are nearby and want to put some rounds down range. The OBR is slightly more accurate at 0.5 MOA, and I get slightly less accuracy from my stock MWS (factory trigger and 16" chrome lined barrel).

You are correct about the slop in the magazine well. This is my major frustration with this weapon system after about 1200 rounds. Only the C-Products mag that shipped with the weapon has a tight fit, and I refuse to use C-Products unless practicing malfunction drills. Having said that, I've not been able to cause a malfunction by moving the mags in the well during fire, and the weapon has had only 1 malfunction since the mag catch modification. I've toyed with the idea of adding grip tap to my PMAGs in critical areas to reduce the slop, but have not gotten around to it. I've not had any gas regulator problems, but I've kept it lubed mobile.

In summary, the REPR is a good fire support platform for engaging multiple targets out to 800 yards. After the mag catch modification, it is reliable and acceptably accurate. The OBR leans more toward the precision end of the spectrum while the MWS toward the battle rifle due to the factory trigger and chrome barrel. I've had less problems with these 3 rifles combined than the other 308 platforms that I've owned/used (DPMS and M110).

I just picked up my 20in REPR this weekend. It comes in the box with the 2 stage gisselle trigger and magpul prs stock. On top are flip up BUIS and I have mounted a S&B Short Dot optic...not cheap $2500 on the top.

Additionally, I have a harris bipod attached with Arms quick release and a Surefire light with pressure switch on the left rail. Pretty much the set up of all set up....close to $7500 all said and done. I am hopeful that with the S&B I will own everything out to at least 650m.

Slickest weapon I have ever held in my hands...hope it was worth all the cash. I will send range report shortly.

I've got a 20in lwrc repr with a thunder beast suppresor on it. No problems whatsoever. Functions flawlessly....and yes the ability to have 4 adjustable gas positions and shoot it suppressed like a bolt gun and not cycle the action is kick ass. I'd take my weapon and go up against anyone without a fully modified bolt gun. It's 4k for a reason and you get what you pay for. What kind of optic do you have on yours?

You just NECROPOSTED yourself!

I don't have any trigger time behind the Larue or LMT. The 18" REPR that I shot was great. It held around 3/4" groups at 100 yards from a bipod with a 10 power scope. I loved the left side charging handle.

If I was in the market for a .308 semi, I would look closely at the LWRC.

Based on my early results (35 rounds fired today, zeroing, completing break in on my 16" OBR, I cant see anything shooting much better) I zeroed with some Prvi, then fired my first 5 round group with handloads, was about .75 gross. Time was tight so I set up my 45% IPSC swinger at 3oo and hit 5 for 5, including the one I held for the "head"

Thinking this thing is going to be amazing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moadster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget about the POF P308! </div></div>
another +1 for POF 308...