• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Muzzle Brake Advice Needed

kwak

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2010
MI
I need a recommendation for a brake that will effectively reduce the recoil for me. After 3 or more rotator surgeries I just do not like the recoil.

I just might have this gun rebarreled to a smaller caliber if the brake does not work. Any suggestions what might be a suitable caliber?

Thanks

Re: 308 Muzzle Brake Advice Needed

The APA bastard brake's are the best IMO. For 308 probably the Little Bastard. They need to be installed by a smith though.

I've got a badger fte on my 308, it did a great job, I'm putting a 260 barrel on, so my FTE is going up for sale.

RWS here on the Hide. $45 shipped. You won't be disappointed.
Shoots like a 22-250 or less.

SJC Titan. Works great. It's gentle enough that my Wife and 11yr old can shoot off hand with my AR 308.

How I know it works is the pressure from the concussion can be felt all around you but the shooter feels nothing.

6129147150_02aef966ef_z.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BLDTYLRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SJC Titan. Works great. It's gentle enough that my Wife and 11yr old can shoot off hand with my AR 308.

How I know it works is the pressure from the concussion can be felt all around you but the shooter feels nothing.

6129147150_02aef966ef_z.jpg

</div></div>

Yes, this one definitely works. Those around you will hate you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nutzkicker617</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one of these on my TIkka 308 and it significantly reduced felt recoil allowing me to stay more on target for followup shots.

and best of all...doesnt require a gunsmith

http://www.hss.net.au/product_info.php?cPath=118&products_id=1012 </div></div>

I've always heard that anything clamped onto or touching the barrel will negatively effect accuracy. Will a clamp on brake have any serious effect on accuracy or poi?

There are a bunch of muzzle brakes that clamp onto the threads at the muzzle and have no negative effect. One example that is also very efficient is the Badger FTE. I've never seen anyone use one that just clamps around the outside of a smooth barrel like the link above. Not sure if i like that idea.

I have the PWS FSC30 on my 5R in 308. Works very well. Kind of long though.

I haven't used any of the other brands mentioned here but the video demonstrating the Fat Bastard on APA's site is amazing.

I have the APA LB on a .308 and .300wm and it works great and doesnt look bad either.

I have shot many other peoples rifles, hands down the Tubb T2K is tied with the APA as the best, but the Tubb is adjustable so it makes a accurate rifle even more accurate, my 308 recoils about what a unbraked 243 does, and my 260 is even less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The APA bastard brake's are the best IMO. For 308 probably the Little Bastard. They need to be installed by a smith though. </div></div>

I like the APA brakes because they work well, and look good doing it. I don't like big dongs on my barrel.

I was just shooting a 7-08 and a 284, side by side. Both rifles are about 17-18lb all up. The 7-08 is not braked, the 284 has an APA LB contoured to match the M40 barrel contour. 7-08 is launching 162s @ 2800, the 284 does the 162s@2875, and 180s@2835.

After about 30 rounds thru the 284, I switched to the 7-08, and was rather surprised by how much recoil the 7-08 had in comparison!!

All brakes work to some extent, although some much better than others. With a .308, you're never going to completely get rid of recoil. If you really want to get rid of recoil all together, I would buy a .223 or similar and then add a brake to that---problem solved. My varmint rifle is in .223 with a Ops Inc brake---the only way you know it fired is by the noise, almost zero recoil.

The "Muscle" brake from CenterShot Rifles is my favorite brake.

wade

One more to the list- the Surefire 762ssal. It works great by itself and can serve as an adapter if you ever want a can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RWS here on the Hide. $45 shipped. You won't be disappointed.
Shoots like a 22-250 or less. </div></div>

Im with you on the Ross brake

I picked one up for my 308 and couldn't be happier with it. The price is right and Ross is a great guy to deal with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: erslll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the PWS FSC30 on my 5R in 308. Works very well. Kind of long though.

I haven't used any of the other brands mentioned here but the video demonstrating the Fat Bastard on APA's site is amazing. </div></div>

Do you have any pictures of the FSC30 on the 5R? From what I have researched, the FSC30 is .9" and the muzzle on the 5R barrel is .83". I'm wondering how that looks.

Extreme newbie here, how do I order one of Ross's brakes? I'm looking for one for a .308 R700 AAC-SD that fits the barrel properly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lvgolfer962</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RWS here on the Hide. $45 shipped. You won't be disappointed.
Shoots like a 22-250 or less. </div></div>

Im with you on the Ross brake

I picked one up for my 308 and couldn't be happier with it. The price is right and Ross is a great guy to deal with. </div></div>

Try googling Ross muzzle brake. And then measure you muzzle and get the one closest in size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SLO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: erslll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the PWS FSC30 on my 5R in 308. Works very well. Kind of long though.

I haven't used any of the other brands mentioned here but the video demonstrating the Fat Bastard on APA's site is amazing. </div></div>

Do you have any pictures of the FSC30 on the 5R? From what I have researched, the FSC30 is .9" and the muzzle on the 5R barrel is .83". I'm wondering how that looks. </div></div>

A little clarification, I do actually have a SCAR-H take off which is a PWS with the FN logo on it and a lock nut which I am using. I think the lock nut spaces the brake away from the barrel that you don't notice the difference in diameter. I honestly don't know that it would look funny with out it because the difference really isn't much.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I have had three shoulder surgeries as well. I to shoot a .308 and I am running a SureFire break on mine. I don't experience any fatigue and I am shooting all day, but I am shooting a heavy gun also. If I had to compare my rifle's recoil to something, I would compare it to that of a .223. As far as being sore the next day, nothing. I am pleased with the SureFire and how my shoulder responds to a day of shooting with it. Hope this helps. I understand exactly where you are coming from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: erslll</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SLO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: erslll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the PWS FSC30 on my 5R in 308. Works very well. Kind of long though.

Do you have any pictures of the FSC30 on the 5R? From what I have researched, the FSC30 is .9" and the muzzle on the 5R barrel is .83". I'm wondering how that looks. </div></div>

A little clarification, I do actually have a SCAR-H take off which is a PWS with the FN logo on it and a lock nut which I am using. I think the lock nut spaces the brake away from the barrel that you don't notice the difference in diameter. I honestly don't know that it would look funny with out it because the difference really isn't much. </div></div>

Interesting, it does look farily close. Nothing a gunsmith couldn't take care of while he is threading my barrel.

Has anyone seen any independent testing of recoil reduction achieved by the various types of brakes offered. Everyone seems to have a favorite but what do the "numbers" say?

I am not looking for the best value as this is a one time purchase and saving $100 is low on my list of priorities. I need something a 115 lb lady who is recoil sensitive can shoot comfortably.

Thanks,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dfwm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone seen any independent testing of recoil reduction achieved by the various types of brakes offered. Everyone seems to have a favorite but what do the "numbers" say?

I am not looking for the best value as this is a one time purchase and saving $100 is low on my list of priorities. I need something a 115 lb lady who is recoil sensitive can shoot comfortably.

Thanks, </div></div>

I just saw a site earlier today where they did a laser test with a bunch of different brakes. I'll see if I can find it again.

If I wanted to put a brake on a barrel with no threads, in this case the heavy barrel of a R700 SPS Tac, would I need to have the barrel threaded or are there brakes that can fit on a barrel that thick otherwise and maintain accuracy?

I guess I'm just trying to figure out how I'd even put a brake on my rifle

I really like the look of the Seekins Precision brake, and it was developed using some high tech flow testing. Unfortunately I haven't found any reviews of it, good or bad. I may just have to break down and buy one to find out for myself.

Hi rotor head i am from ga. born and raised i now live in az. good to see someone on the hide from gods country. i am an ex sniper 82nd airborne

Helpful info. I have also been looking at brakes and have considered the holland. Anyone have experience with those?