• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.308 Muzzle Brakes

tap&rack_TXinfidel

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2012
Austin, TX USA
Hey guys, This is my first post here on the Hide but I have always been overwhelmed by the expertise here.

I currently have a XCR Long Range .308 on its way to my shop and since McMillan is going to take 2 months to get my A5 to me I figure I could get the rifle threaded and stick a brake on it. I really am taking to the Badger FTE brake but I cannot find many quality reviews on performance. I see them on a lot of sticks here but what others are great performers?

Re: .308 Muzzle Brakes

Contact excaliber on this site.
He put a brake on my .300 win mag and it went from a hardhitter to a pussy. Dang thing dont hit much harder than a .308 now. ( used to friggin rattle my teeth ) He can put you on a good brake fast.
Good luck and good shooting.

Badger FTE works great on my .308. I have bad shoulders and I would guess that it cuts felt recoil by 50% or better. Just make sure that you have ears on!
Mike

Badger FTE is a great brake, installed many from .308's to 300WM. Probably one of the more efficient brakes on the market. Will tame your .308 down enough to spot your shots.

Good Luck,

JamieD

AI Stocks and Accessories

Another recoil related question, what limbsaver pad fits the Mcmillan A5? I'd rather not pay full price +20% for it through Mcmillan.

I put a FTE on my 300 wsm and was very pleased with the reduction in felt recoil. It should do well on a .308.

If you are ordering a stock from McMillan, defiantly let them install the butt pad. I personally like the 1 inch Deccelerator pad. As far as brakes go, all the big names work just fine. It depends on what look you might like better. Some guys like it big and bold, and some like it to blend with the barrel, so that it looks like part of the barrel.

I really like my APA little bastard on my .300 wm and .308. I think they look good and they are very effecient.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gamhuntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like my APA little bastard on my .300 wm and .308. I think they look good and they are very effecient. </div></div>

APA is also my favorite brakes. I use them on all my rifles. Great people to deal with.

Holland radial design muzzle brake. It is the newest addition to the Holland line of brakes and works great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXinfidel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another recoil related question, what limbsaver pad fits the Mcmillan A5? I'd rather not pay full price +20% for it through Mcmillan. </div></div>

Are we still talking about a 308 rifle? MB is one thing but limbsaver? Unless you have old wound or setting it up for kids to shoot.....

I stuck a Badger FTE on my 5R and now my 12 year old son can shoot that gun all day. I don't know how that compares to other options out there but it is getting the job done for me. Also, the weight of the brake seemed to have some sort of harmonic dampener effect. My groups significantly tightened up, YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Target In Sight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXinfidel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another recoil related question, what limbsaver pad fits the Mcmillan A5? I'd rather not pay full price +20% for it through Mcmillan. </div></div>

Are we still talking about a 308 rifle? MB is one thing but limbsaver? Unless you have old wound or setting it up for kids to shoot..... </div></div>

Well, we have their Tac308s and Tac300s here in stock and after shouldering the stocks with the limbsaver, I have found it much easier to get a consistant cheek weld, and this stock may go on a .300wsm build someday so I want it with the recoil reducing features that I would select for that rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXinfidel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Target In Sight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXinfidel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another recoil related question, what limbsaver pad fits the Mcmillan A5? I'd rather not pay full price +20% for it through Mcmillan. </div></div>

Are we still talking about a 308 rifle? MB is one thing but limbsaver? Unless you have old wound or setting it up for kids to shoot..... </div></div>

Well, we have their Tac308s and Tac300s here in stock and after shouldering the stocks with the limbsaver, I have found it much easier to get a consistant cheek weld, and this stock may go on a .300wsm build someday so I want it with the recoil reducing features that I would select for that rifle. </div></div>

Understood

I run a Roedale and works like a charm. I watch all my bullet impacts out to 200 yards with no issues.

Aron-