• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing .308 norma mag

North308

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Was planning on getting a AX AICS chassis but not sure if i can use a .300 win mag remington 700 reciever and have it work to fit a .308 norma mag case?? need some help, want to figure out all the parts needed before buying.

Re: .308 norma mag

If you mean the 300NM you may have feeding problems due to the diameter of the cartridge. You may have to get an action and a mag system designed to feed this diameter round.

I dont think your wanting the 308 NM... Could be wrong. Whats the purpose for the build? MAybe we can direct you to a more cost effecent round that will better suit your needs? Do you reload?

So a long action 700 will work that's good! Where is a good place to find them? Found a place in manitoba that sells the AX and they want to know what action size i might use. And to the other questions a budddy from work hand loads and said he'd load some for me.

The 300 Norma Magnum uses a .590" bolt face, like a 338 Lapua Magnum.

Won't be much bolt face left on a Remmy if you do this.

Be careful if that is what your trying to build.

C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnnynova</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So a long action 700 will work that's good! Where is a good place to find them? Found a place in manitoba that sells the AX and they want to know what action size i might use. And to the other questions a budddy from work hand loads and said he'd load some for me. </div></div>

Find what? Long actions? I think I bought my last one at Walmart (the whole rifle was cheaper than an action from Brownells).

Just to be clear, we're talking about the 308 Norma Magnum, not the 300 Norma Magnum, right? I have no experience with the 300, just the much older 308 Norma Magnum. I make my own brass from 300 Win Mag -- just full length resize.

Brad

Yeah we're talking .308 norma mag. Just trying to make sure if i purchase a 700 remington action, that the round will feed right!

( Oh yeah hahaha we don't sell firearms(air guns and ammo yes but no guns) at are walmarts lol) Canada remember!

If you are infact wanting the .308 Norma Magnum then you would be using the Remington 700 LA (same bolt face as .300 WM, 7mm RM ect ect) I never said there was anything WRONG with the .308 NM but it is often times confused with the .300 NM and .338 NM which are entirely seperate chamberings/brass ect.

So yes, a good smith COULD stick a Remmy LA in an AX chassis and chamber it for .308 Norma (just guessing here) I dont see anything that would be preventing the firearm from being functional, just different then most.

The .300 Win Mag would allow you to get an extra 100 fps on the .308 Norma Mag (given same wieght projo) and have a much wider selection of dies, brass and already loaded ammo in a pinch, but if your set on the 308 Norma Mag... So be it!