• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 308, Nosler 175, and Varget

SporterII

Minuteman
Nov 23, 2006
Central Fl. USA
My 24" Remington 5R shoots 175 FGMM well but only 2630fps. Fired cases produce much better velocity per grain powder than Winchester so I am loading the Federal cases. Two 'spots' in a powder charge ladder are at 44.1 {2696} and 39.4 {2676 fps.} 44.7 and bolt lift gets notably tougher and flat primers. I loaded 5 x 3 for a OCW test and all printed about the same with the exception that the lightest and stiffest charges were tighter groups. I was in bad shape this AM but took my time and believe that 39.4 at 2670 is my spot. I am going to load these 15 all at that number, shoot a 10rd group and chrono {MS} five.
I sure wish I could run at 2700 with 44.1 but it may not be worth it.
Any luck with these bullets with Varget? I have a bunch.

Nosler Custom Comps or RDF? Also, I don't know if that was a typo but adding 4.7 grains of power and seeing a 20fps increase doesn't seem correct.

I have played with the Custom Com with varget and have had excellent numbers pairing the two. I use Winchester cases, with a 20 inch, averaging 2630fps ES between 10-6

What are you ES and SD for the loads?

Lapua case, federal 210m, 43 Varget, Nosler 175rdf, 2715fps out of 26" krieger.

I'm getting 2630 out of my 5R with 178s over 45gr of varget out of a 20" barrel. No pressure signs.

No and yes. Lapau brass, before that nosler, which both are thicker than winchester so that should be negating my speed. They are mag length in the sense, but to AICS mags. IIRC i was running 2.855 or 2.860

1.314" to 1.342" so far bullet lengths. I am not used to seeing this. Dissinterested in these I think. Going to shoot some more after this storm but getting pissed.