• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 308 optic, which one

ridesdirt

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
I have been researching on and off for a while.

Rifle is a LMT 308

I have a few 5.56 rifles and have Eotechs on some and a RCO ACOG on another.

I would like this gun to have an optic that will let me reach out a little further than the 5.56 guns.

I am thinking a 3X9, specifically the VXR Patrol, Trijicon Accupoint, or maybe Nikon M308
I am leanig toward the VXR because i can get a very good deal on one, the worst i have herd is the reticle is a little thick for most peoples taste and results in questionable ranging..ranging function would be beneficial for sure, so that is what has me questioning the VXR...

Budget is approx 1,000, but would like to stay under with a mount

I will probably not dial in shots and rely on holdover.

I have searched but could use some more input.

Thanks, and first "real" post here.

Last edited:
I had a VX-R 4-12x40mm on my LMT MWS, but I swapped it out for a VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x20mm. It's much lighter, and offers enough magnification for my range (max 300 yds). I also swapped out the EOTech EXPS2 on my POF P415 for a Trijicon 1-4x24mm (TR24), so obviously I'm a fan of low power variable scopes. I'll probably upgrade my LMT to a 1-6x scope at some point. Leupold makes one that's very nearly within your budget, the VX-6 1-6x24mm. Take a look at that one.

Luky, I appreciate the offer but 56mm is too big for me, wanting to stay around 40 for a 3x9 range scope, smaller for the 1x6 range scope.

1x6 is a great thought, I will start looking at the "1 by" ranges... I am pretty sure I want more than 4 on the top end. My eyes are old and anything over 300 is sketchy for me... my local range is 300 meters, but would like an optic that will help out a little further, say 500ish. I am a realist and anything beyond 500 for me with a 308... probably not going to happen. I have no misconception that a military sniper is hiding inside my 45 year old body!

Vortex, we are talking about the Viper PST line correct? I am curious what these look like mounted up. 4" of eye relief will put the eye piece pretty close to the rear of the top rail correct? Any comments on 32mm or 44mm? looks like the weight is the same for either diameter.

I see SWFA has a lot too...

Good grief there are a lot of options! This is worse than building a race car engine!

I have a SWFA SS 16 power fixed on my T/C .308 in an XLR chassis and love it. I too have bad eyes so the 16x gives me a little more "edge". Plus they are mil/mil which is great.

I can't answer your question, but I too have an AR-10 style 308. I spent a little more than your budget and ordered the new NXS Nightforce 2.5-10X42 MIL-R. Can't wait! Good luck.

midwayusa has the weaver 2-10 on clearance right now for 600.

SWFA 3-9 would be an excellent option, as would the 3-15

yeah i have a suspicious feeling my budget will get blown...

I can get a smoking deal on a VXR Patrol... I may go that route to start with. I am not in a hurry so...

I appreciate all the comments

Whats the deal here?

If you will be holding over and off, use a cheap scope. Same end result.

More misses than hits.

I seriously doubt I will take a shot beyond 500, at least very often. Do I really need to dial in shots at that range?

OP, I would highly recommend you hang out in the Optics for sale forum here on SH, you can find some killer deals, you said your budget is $1000 and it is not too far fetched to see an optic that would normally go for $1500 being sold used for $1000. If you're looking for 1-6x optics you might want to consider the SWFA SS as it generally gets fantastic reviews for the price.

You also mention that you will probably not dial in shots but use holdover instead, you may get a lot of flack for that here and I'm not going to argue about the benefits of one way or another because I tend to agree more with you on a holdover style reticle for quick adjustment situations. In this case, you might want to consider a reticle designed for 7.62 NATO, but be careful as some are designed for a particular load such as the 168gr or 175gr bullets and those hash marks are going to be off some if you reload or use a 150 grain bullet, etc. However, if you are planning on using just one round, then this may be a good option for you.

I too just got an LMT LM8 and have been going through the agonizing process of deciding on an optic, but for me I'm looking for one I can share with my 308 bolt gun as well (I now have more rifles than optics). I've pondered the Weaver Tactical 3-15 that Joe mentions above as you can get some great deals in the SH Optics for sale forum right now, but am wondering about a holdover reticle like the Leupold CMRW and the like.

With the $1000 spending limit I would chose the VV FFP PST 4-16X50 or the 6-24X50 depending how far out you want to touch something. Both come in under $1000.