• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 or 6.5x47 Lapua

cox308

BAMF
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2011
United States, Hawaii
Hey guys. New to the forum here and hoping to get some advise

Looking to do a build and was looking to get some advise on which caliper to go with between the 308 win and the 6.5x47 Lapua. The build is going to on a Stiller Tac 30 with either a AX or AICS/ Viperskin chassi. Nightforce 5.5x22 56 scope and Jewell trigger. I'd love to do a build on both but can only afford one at the moment. I had my mind set on a 308 because thats what most people are telling me to get but the more research I do on this 6.5 the more I want it. I do reload my own ammo so having to use factory ammo is not an issue. I will be shooting paper between 100-300 yards and steel out to 450. My brain is saying 308 but my heart is saying 6.5x47!

Here's some of the things I'm factoring into my decision

308 Winchester:
-Factory Ammo readily available
-cheaper brass
-more take down power
-louder ping when shooting steel (I know I know...but I like it!)
-already have a 308 Obermeyer barrel blank
-already have 30 cal brass prep tools. KW neck turner, KW primer pocket cleaner etc.

6.5x47 Lapua
-better BC
-more accurate??
-sexy as hell
-sexy as hell
-sexy as hell

Thanks in advanced for and input. Sorry if this is a redundant topic. Aloha!

Re: 308 or 6.5x47 Lapua

My vote goes to .308 since you have all that stuff already. Run the JLK's in a Type 2 magazine. I have heard that makes a great long range 308 round.

I wouldn't say the x47 round is MORE accurate. I think it's flatter shooting and is traveling faster then the 308, therefore less affected by wind. I think the lack of recoil and flatter trajectory make it easier to shoot more accurately but from what I can tell it's expensive to shoot unless you reload. I think brass can be hard to come by too but it's a fun round. I don't own one but have shot one and it's REALLY easy to shoot...and fun to boot
smile.gif

I own both. I only use the 6.5X47L in competition for just the reasons you stated, wind has less affect on bullet at long distance and flatter trajectory plus the lower recoil (not much) allows you to stay on target after the shot. The 6.5X47L actually uses about 3 gr less powder than my 308 but the bullets are a little pricey (Berger VLD). As for brass, you are correct: hard to find and expensive but if you reload, I have 17 reloads on my brass now with no signs of fatigue.

As for the 308, I love that gun. I shoot it every week for practice and sheer enjoyment. As for accuracy, my 308 actually is a better shooter. My son used his 308 in 600 yd F-Class for 2 years with several 200 point strings ( perfect score, 20 shots in the 10 ring). He places in the top 3 and more than not number 1. We recently built him a 6.5X47L for competition to help reduce the affect of wind on his score. Here in NW Florida on the Gulf the winds are a major factor.

For the purposes you stated above, I'd recommend you build a 308. They are a lot of fun, easy to develop great loads for them, less expensive to shoot, just as accurate as the 6.5X47L at the ranges you've stated plus you have all the reloading tools required.

Since the 6.5X47L uses the same bolt face as the 308, later on down the road if you want to do a 6.5X47L you'll only need to re-barrel.

Hope this was of some help.

If all you are going to shoot is out to 450 yards you can get almost any round can do that. I shoot a 223 bolt rifle that does that easily as well as using it against steel at 600 yards and it is cheap to shoot. I do agree that the 6.5mm x 47 Lapua sounds cool as well as a 260 Remington or a 6.5 Creedmore but to you just have to figure what are your demands for the rounds. Is barrel life and cost a factor if not than the 6.5 bullets are mighty accurate and fast. The 308 would be cheaper as there are more components available for it as well as ammunition being available at any corner store. And, the 308 barrel will last longer than the others listed. You just need to figure out what your priorities are.

Well you're already spending a butt load of cash on the gun, why worry about the cost of ammo.
The 6.5x47 just flat out performs, and Lapua brass has a great lifespan.

Sounds like you already know what you really want. Get it and be happy. The 6.5 is a great round. Any of the 6.5s for that matter. You're still going to want the 308 later anyways, and you will get it. It's our nature to have more than one, or two. Enjoy.

Get the caliber you want, otherwise your just going to wonder about what might have been.

6.5x47L brass is NOT hard to find. Yes, it's is expensive at about $100-$106 per 100, but it is not hard to find. It last a long time. 100pcs of Lapua brass could possibly last you longer than your barrel.

Good luck.

6.5x47 ANY day of the year if you handload. It is a MUCH better long range round than a 308.
I have shot a fair amount of 308 & 260 rem (which is pretty darn close to the 6.5x47 ballistically) and the 260 has performed in a different league than the 308. Do yourself a favor and borrow a rifle if you need to but test a 308 side by side with a 6.5 Lapua, 6.5 CR or 260 on a breezy day. Your question will be answered.

I shoot a 6.5x47 Lapua single shot short 13" barreled bolt action pistol. I exclusively shoot 155 Gr. Lapua Mega bullets. They are not pretty bullets......but my rig will shoot one hole groups at 100+ yards with these hunting bullets all day. I get the best of both the hunting and target worlds. My custom build wasn't cheap but it was worth every dime spent. This caliber outperforms every one of my tactical 308's. PAT.

Thank you to everyone for the great info! I've got a couple more question.

1. Do VLD's (130-140 grain)fit in the short action AI mags and feed with out much problems?
2. Must I use VLD's in the 6.5x47L to get all the benifets of the cartrige for it to be that much better than the 308?
3. Using a Stiller Tac 30 bolt will any modification need to be made to it so I don't run into any primer problems? Bushing the firing pin hole etc.

Thanks again guys!

1. You'll be fine on OAL with any bullet. That's one of the great things about the round.

2. I run 142 SMK's in mine with great sucess.

3. You shouldn't have to. Those Stiller actions are smooth feeding little actions. I'm really impressed with mine.

Get what you want, but everyone needs a go to .308 IMO. Just as stated above, it's not cost effective, super easy to work up a accurate load, brass even the more expensive brands are around 30$ cheaper, and bullet selection and data are eveywhere. Eventually you'll have both it's a matter of time and part of the addiction
wink.gif

I myself am rebarrelling my .308 in 6.5x47L but only because i want my go to .308 in a shorty build, 18" XM3 or GAP gladius. Leaning towards just asking George when the time comes if i could get the gladius with the McM A3-1 instead of the Manners. Although i do like the manners equally.

Bottom line if you feel you truly want the 6.5x47L right now go for it, get the .308 later. Or vice versa

308 = boring
6.5 anything = exciting

You are dropping so much dough into the rifle why not get it with all the bells and whistles? Unless you are shooting F-class, why get a 308 anything, if you have the cash?

As fas as accuracy, have you seen some of the groups in this thread? http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2943243#Post2943243

In my 6.5x47L load development experience, I never had a load that didn't go into .5moa or tighter at 100yds. And I am not a good load developer nor especially good marksman. So it is super easy to develop loads for.

Something else to consider, if you are like me and hate brass prep/work, the 6.5L is for you! I didn't do ANYTHING on the brass. I guess you could buy 308 brass from Lapua, but then you are kind of in the same spot as if you had gone the 6.5L route, expect you don't have the sexy 6.5...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my 6.5x47L load development experience, I never had a load that didn't go into .5moa or tighter at 100yds. And I am not a good load developer nor especially good marksman. So it is super easy to develop loads for.
</div></div>

I agree. I've just got my first 6.5 x47 Lapua done. First load I threw together averaged at 2819fps with an ES of 18 and a SD of 5 using 130VLD's and minimal brass prep.

So is a .308...

I've run 155gr Scenar, 168gr SMK, and now running 175gr BT LR all shot 1/2 MOA. Now the 6.5x47L is a better cartridge there is no dis-crediting that. But to say the .308 is boring... i have to disagree it takes more patience and tolerance as it doesn't have the ballistic advantage of pushing .55-.6 BC projectiles at 2700 or better, yet still gets the job done. It's a great learning caliber and still wins matches. .308 isn't boring :p

I have both. I really struggle trying to justify shooting my 308 any more. I love my 6.5x47. flat, accurate, no recoil. Just a pleasure to shoot. I'm almost ready to sell my 308. almost

I love my 308 because it makes me work hard on wind holds, and it's a bit of a tried and true cartridge that has a huge variation in bullets, brass, and loads. That being said, I just got a 6.5 Creedmoor and it's vastly superior in it's ballistic consistency out past 600 yards. It's a slippery little bullet and the recoil is non-existent. If you want to test your abilities - get the 308. If you actually want to shoot really far and consistently - go with the 6.5.

Thanks again for everyone chiming in! I'm leaning more towards the x47 now. I've never messed around with VLD's and that seems like a really fun. Seems like a lot of the guys who prefer the 308 are guys who own a 308 and never owned a 6.5.

Another question: I remember reading that the redding comp seating dies are bored out to fit and hold the SMK's perfectly straight while seating. Does redding comp dies work well with the VLD's too or do I have to have a special seating die made for the VLD's

I own a .260 and a .308. As i said before if your set on the 6.5x47 get it. But there is nothing wrong with the .308 by any means what so ever.

I have a BUNCH of Redding dies and bought my first set of Forsters for a 260. From here on out, I'll get the Forsters with the Ultra seater.

As to specifically answering your question, I can't. I BELIEVE Redding has a stem specifically designed for the VLD's.

Go with 6.5x47 and dont look back. Better BC, less powder, also less recoil. (308 is pos in my opion). If you get shooting longer ranges you will be glad you got 6.5x47.
Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yotedog65284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with 6.5x47 and dont look back. Better BC, less powder, also less recoil. (308 is pos in my opion). If you get shooting longer ranges you will be glad you got 6.5x47.
Chris </div></div>

^^^^

Bingo

If you hand-load and have time to keep up with reloading, then 6.5x47 is the way to go. Great brass, high BC, light recoiling 6.5 bullets with ample choices, good barrel life.

Everyone says goes with 308win because that is what is common, and likely what they started with. That is what I started with, but once I started shooting my 6.5 Creedmoor, there was not turning back. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I have my 308, but the 6.5s are just nicer to shoot for the above-mentioned reasons.

im building a 6.5x47 right now as well. carrying my 16lb 300winmag is getting old. and its overkill for groundhog and coyote. Im building a 6.5x47 on a manners stock, Bat action, and a number 3 contour krieger barrel. Im trying to keep the weight under 9lbs. its a good caliber. I shoot mostly 200-600yrds for the coyotes and groundhog. So it should be a good choice. Fast and flat. And with the right bullet it can drop deer sized game. Brass life is excellent. It takes less powder. All around, I think its better than the 308. It is an inheritantly (pardon spelling) accurate cartridge too.

Redding does have a special stem you use with the seating die for the VLD type bullets. As someone had mentioned why not think about a switch barrel? I have that setup now in a Badger action, use the 308 for practice and the 260 for matches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks again for everyone chiming in! I'm leaning more towards the x47 now. I've never messed around with VLD's and that seems like a really fun. Seems like a lot of the guys who prefer the 308 are guys who own a 308 and never owned a 6.5. </div></div>

I have both, since I built my .260 close to a year ago the 308 has been out of the safe once! Both are great calibers for evreything I do with them. I began my long range shooting with the .308 and would recommend the same to anyone starting out. I sure learned alot with the .308 that has made be a better shooter and handloader with the .260. The 6.5's are great but I like my 308 as well.

When you guys say a switch barrel does that mean just get 2 barrels made for the same action and simply just switch from barrel to barrel? I'd have to un screw the barrel every time and re-torque? Will it hold zero? I''m i little confused on that one.

I did just order a 6.5 Bartlien so I will have both barrels!

After reading all this, I feel it's pretty redundant, but the 6.5x47 is, in my opinion, a more efficient caliber. I now own 3 rifles in 6.5x47 and I recently sold all of my .308 components, including the rifle. I'm out of the .308 business and see no reason to go back to it.

One thing the OP asked up above that nobody commented on was about any bolt modifications for the x47. Usually you will have to have your bolt bushed (firing pin hole diameter reduced) to keep from cratering primers. Some people are able to get away without it, some aren't. Some people's bolt is bushed and they don't even know it. I've had to bush the bolt on a Surgeon, Stiller, and ofcourse a R700. It's not a big deal, but something you might touch on with your smith to get his opinion.

Also, you don't have to just shoot VLD's to get the excellent performance of the x47. Alot of people shoot the Scenars & Amax's. I run 130 VLD's in all my rifles, but I am going to try some lighter weight Amax's in my latest build. They perform just as good for alot of people and they are a bit cheaper as well.

Everyone is free to shoot th caliber of their choice. Whatever makes you happy is what matters. The .308 has been the standard for a long time. However, I feel more and more people are seeing the benefits of the 6.5's and leaving the .308 behind.

What is your shooting experience?

For no further than you're shooting, I'd go .308 for better barrel life. Heck, I'd probably consider .223 Rem for those ranges. The difference at 300 yards is pretty negligible. Beyond that the winner will become more evident, though.

What I find is the 6.5x47 is very, very accurate and really beats the wind. I've been running 140 VLDs and 130 VLDs through my GAP that was throated for 130s. The 140 is actually more accurate in my gun, but the 130 is flatter by about fraction of a mil and almost even in drift. After about 700 yards the 140s will take over, depending on velocity.

ETA: the 6.5x47 will have more energy at extended ranges than .308 because it covers range more quickly, due to the higher ballistic coefficient.

trevor- thank you for addressing my bolt question

tyler- My experience is only about 2 years shooting. Those are the ranges I will be shooting mostly but not limited to. I hope to go to molokai and other outer islands where you can easily shoot out to 1000+ yards. My first bolt action was a r700 223 sps and my current one is a r700 300wm XCR longerange tactical. Looking for something in between.

Thanks again to everyone for the help. This is a great forum!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After reading all this, I feel it's pretty redundant, but the 6.5x47 is, in my opinion, a more efficient caliber. I now own 3 rifles in 6.5x47 and I recently sold all of my .308 components, including the rifle. I'm out of the .308 business and see no reason to go back to it.

One thing the OP asked up above that nobody commented on was about any bolt modifications for the x47. Usually you will have to have your bolt bushed (firing pin hole diameter reduced) to keep from cratering primers. Some people are able to get away without it, some aren't. Some people's bolt is bushed and they don't even know it. I've had to bush the bolt on a Surgeon, Stiller, and ofcourse a R700. It's not a big deal, but something you might touch on with your smith to get his opinion.

Also, you don't have to just shoot VLD's to get the excellent performance of the x47. Alot of people shoot the Scenars & Amax's. I run 130 VLD's in all my rifles, but I am going to try some lighter weight Amax's in my latest build. They perform just as good for alot of people and they are a bit cheaper as well.

Everyone is free to shoot th caliber of their choice. Whatever makes you happy is what matters. The .308 has been the standard for a long time. However, I feel more and more people are seeing the benefits of the 6.5's and leaving the .308 behind. </div></div>

Completely true, but the way some people were making it seem is as if the .308 is hard to load for, doesn't touch the accuracy of the 6.5s, and goes subsonic at 500yds. I wasn't trying to sway him towards the .308, as i'm rebarreling to the lapua myself it's fantastic and i can't wait. But there will always be a soft spot for a .308 in my book, as it's what I've started on and come to love. While i'll be switching to the 6.5x47 i still plan on a 18" .308. And honestly for the range he's shooting at tyler is 100% right, the difference is negligible.

But in the end it's what makes you happy as you said.

Hey Trevor, I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions. It was about barrel contour and length for the 6.5x47 Lapua. From what I have read, I noticed a few well know shooters using the Heavy Palma Contour or the M24/M40 Tactical Contour. I was thinking about the #10 MTU by Kreiger. It seems like it is heavier and also the diameter is larger. I am definitely a novice, so I was thinking, thicker barrel, more stable. The #10 MTU is .930 at the muzzle. I was also a little confused by the twist rate. I noticed that people use 1/8 and 1/8.5. Being a novice, I was interested in using the best loads that would get me out the furthest. I plan on trying to do some tactical matches. From what I have gathered, the best loads are the 123gr Scenar, 130gr Berger, and the 139gr Scenar. Any help that you could offer would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Marc

Every rifle is different. 1:8 1:8.5 corresponds to stabilizing bullets. The faster the twist the longer (heavier in most cases) bullets the barrel can stabilize. Those all great bullets you listed, but doesn't necessarily mean they will shoot well in any gun. As for barrel contour i doubt you will be able to shoot the difference between a MTU and m40/m24 contour. Krieger, bartlein, broughton, Obermeyer, rock creek, broughton, etc. the list goes on. All make quality barrels. Thing contoured barrels can be accurate also. Alot of accuracy is shooter related given the proper conditions and the rifle groups with the load being used.

I really like the 6.5x47 for all the same reasons mentioned. I plan to build another so my daughters have an accurate low recoiling rifle to shoot. But i also like the idea of the. 308/7.62 nato match. I want one chambered in the nato version to test/develope my shooting ability. Could i shoot as good as a military marksman if i had only one type of ammo to choose? Might be fun to find out.

Just finished my 308, and love the way it shoots, very challenging. I'm going to build a 6.5x47 on my remington 700, next but thats for my brother because it's easier round to shoot all around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ckfishdive</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just finished my 308, and love the way it shoots, very challenging. I'm going to build a 6.5x47 on my remington 700, next but thats for my brother because it's easier round to shoot all around. </div></div>

I should just wait for you to finish your 6.5 then try um both!lol