• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

308 Powder Choice

Chanonry

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2009
Aberdeen Scotland
I have reloaded with a wide range of bullets in my 308 but only used 3 powders RL15, Benchmark and RL17.

It occurred to me that rather than focussing on velocity (and availability) if I tried to find the most temperature insensitive powder I would probably end up with something very different.

Is there a powder that is generally accepted as being 'the most' insensitive?

Re: 308 Powder Choice

I only use Varget and IMR 4064 in my 308's. The Varget seems to be a bit less temp sensitive during the winter months.

Varget is going to be your powder of choice by almost everybody. Typical load for 175's is 44 to 45 grains. Other powders will work but varget is consistent, temperature stable and most everybody keeps it or can get it.

Another vote for Varget.....look at IMR 8028 XBR also. Both are great powders and very stable. I have found the the XBR is generating better velocities and lower ES % SD's over Varget though.

I will add one more vote to what seems like a consensus and say Varget. I have found that it is very temperature sensitive. It gets extremely hot here in the summer, so temperature sensitive powders are a must. Dont' ask me how I know this, but I can tell you that BL-C2 is NOT the powder to go to if you are looking for temperature stability, or so my AR says!

has anyone ever used Accurate 2520? for 308? I use it in my 22/250 and shoots great. Have heard its good for LR308 but have not worked up a load yet.

2520 is called "the camp perry powder" because it works so well with the m1/m14 service rifles, dont have one but I use it for 69 smk's.

<span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> In Hawaii, where temps are fairly stable. I have the best results with BL-C(2).

alliant pp2000mr.love this stuff.way better velocities than anything i've used before in .223 or .308,drops accurate out of dropper,very accurate and so far extremely temp. tolerate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2clicks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about vihtavouri? Anynody just wondering. </div></div>550 shot great for me with 155's and 175's.then i found pp2000mr,which is much cheaper and eaise to reload with so i never looked back.i must have one of them rifles which does not like varget cause it never was "magic" for me.about .75 MOA was about as good as i could get.

I only use Varget in my 308s, In fact i use Varget in almost everything with excellent results.

Every one likes Varget.... But, R-15 gives you higher speeds with the
Same amount of powder!
44grs. R-15 Over 175gr. SMK with M210 primer.
About 2,775 fps.

44gr. Varget over 175gr. SMK with M210 primer
Is about 2,750 fps.

That's out of a 22" Bbl.

SNIPER-2

Varget 1st choice
IMR 4320 is a good alternative check out the riflemans journal he has a good write up.
8208 XBR not in my rifle, even when loading down i was blowing primers others swear by it...i swear at it.

No personal experience but other I compete against run VV 140 or VV150 with good results

I'm with Avid...

Varget in LC Brass w/ 178 AMax

44.2 (2650 FPS) and 43.4 (2600 FPS) in a 20" 1:10 twist.

vit 550 was very temp sensitive for me but the XBR 8208 is the ticket for me. I can shoot golfballs at 500 yards. and its very consistent out to 1K. this past weekend first shot and called a head shot at 1K. Love the XBR 45 grains.

I just tried XBR this past weekend and its looking really good.

Aron-