• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.308 PPV ammo, Nemesis Vanquish

maxrep99

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2012
Before I buy in bulk, can someone confirm some things ?
I have a .308 win Nemesis Vanquish.
Bad decision to go inexpensive - I used .308 PPV 168 grain new match grade ammo. (allegedly new).
Some of the rounds did not chamber easily, seems like these 'new' rounds may not have been sized perfectly.

However, they chambered in my savage .308 ok.

Now looking for the top 5, new, .308 168 grain match ammo. From what I can tell, Federal GMM seems to be in the top 5.

Can someone confirm that ? and also list the top 5 ?
My Vanquish seems pickier than my Savage, and want to get good ammo, that chambers easy, and of course has a tight group.
It was suggested to me that BVAC is quite good, and works well in the Vanquish, but it seems to be out of stock all over.

If it doesn't shoot with FGMM toss the rifle in the trash.

Before I buy in bulk, can someone confirm some things ?
I have a .308 win Nemesis Vanquish.
Bad decision to go inexpensive - I used .308 PPV 168 grain new match grade ammo. (allegedly new).
Some of the rounds did not chamber easily, seems like these 'new' rounds may not have been sized perfectly.

However, they chambered in my savage .308 ok.

Now looking for the top 5, new, .308 168 grain match ammo. From what I can tell, Federal GMM seems to be in the top 5.

Can someone confirm that ? and also list the top 5 ?
My Vanquish seems pickier than my Savage, and want to get good ammo, that chambers easy, and of course has a tight group.
It was suggested to me that BVAC is quite good, and works well in the Vanquish, but it seems to be out of stock all over.

PPU is mostly junk. Federal Gold Medal Match in 168 or 175 is the go to ammo to confirm potential accuracy, spend the extra 20 bucks it is currently bringing over where it was two years ago. You spend 20 bucks in gas getting to the range and back.

If you want good cheap ammo, get some Black Hills 2nds. Still may cost more than the PPV but shoots real nice.

PPU ammo is "okay" ammo; not the greatest, but also not Wolf steel-cased either. Most of my experience was with their .30-06 ammo in a JRA 1903a4 I had (and still lament selling). It did very well in that rifle out to 700 yards, and reloaded well for me. OTOH, my dad had some of their .243 ammo AND some .308 ammo, and it performed terribly in both instances, so YMMV. Good luck if you choose to use PPU; personally, I like FGMM and if I can't shoot that, then my personal handloads.

If you plan on keeping and shooting from your nice rifle, invest in a nice reloading set up and load your own pills. It will be worth it in the long run and makes it easier should you choose to use the switch barrel capabilities of the vanquish.

Shot some PPU back in the spring , I did'nt care for it , very dirty ,seemed that some would chamber and others had trouble ,that was out of the same box . I like 175 grn. feds very much .

Pick a 168gr or 175gr offering from Federal, Black Hills, or any number of other quality manufacturers.

Thanks all! You helped confirm PPU is not reliable.
I just ordered Black Hills 168 match. I should be set now.

I have had zero problems with PRVI .308 match ammo in both my Rem. 5R and my Armalite SASS.
in fact its very accurate considering the price. While its not FGGM it sure isn't bad for punching paper.
YMMV obviously..........

I really like the Hornady Amax 168gr offerings... shoots better than FGMM in my rifle. 1/2 MOA or better.

FGMM is more affordable, but after I started reloading I stuck with the 168gr AMAX bullet as the BC is better than the Sierra 168.

Thanks all! You helped confirm PPU is not reliable.
I just ordered Black Hills 168 match. I should be set now.

a few years back I used up several cases of PPU 168 Match and never had a single misfire or any of the types of problems described. The problem is the BTHP bullets. Not consistent makes not accurate match grade ammo. But to the real question asked. FGMM. Also, there is study on the Internet were most of the best known168 match ammo was tested and documented. Shouldn't be hard to find on the Internet.

The PPU ammo is not very consistent in headspace, and errs on the side of larger. Not an issue for most chambers, but tighter match chambers will notice. I had a couple that could barely chamber in my Tikka. Shot decently at 100 yards, but those bullets seem to have a really hard time holding together past 500 yards or so.

The PPU ammo is not very consistent in headspace, and errs on the side of larger. Not an issue for most chambers, but tighter match chambers will notice. I had a couple that could barely chamber in my Tikka. Shot decently at 100 yards, but those bullets seem to have a really hard time holding together past 500 yards or so.

Thanks. That is pretty much what I ran into.

I had a lot of uncalled flyers with the PPU Match ammo, only use it for plinking with the FAL and G3. Like everybody else said, if it doesnt shoot with FGMM throw the rifle away.
cheers.

Thanks. That is pretty much what I ran into.

Success! Black Hills 168 match. (I picked this over FGMM only because I was able to get a better price in bulk).
Found the Nemesis has a tighter chamber than the the Savage .308. Popped off the barrel of the Nemesis, and went through a ton of rounds rounds, dropping them into the chamber end of the barrel. All Black Hills dropped in nice, easy, tight. about 20% of the PPU rounds would not drop in easy.
Of course my leftover FGMM were also nice, easy, tight, secure.
Both FGMM and Black Hills had tight, under 1" groupings at 100 yds. (My grouping was 1.5", but someone else at the range, who had less coffee, consistently had under 1" groupings)

Thanks everyone for the input.