• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Precision on dillion 550?

wlwaldock

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2009
Columbus
(Reloading .308 match loads for bolt action rifle)

I have been doing a lot of research on here and yes I have used the custom google search engine extensively. I know there are numerous threads out there about the different ways to load on the 550 and multiple people say they do it, but I just don't want to make any silly mistakes.

My goal is to basically use this press as a single stage unit, I don't understand the point of spending the money to buy a single stage when I have this great dillon machine basically collecting dust. If I am wrong here please explain.

I intend to purchase the whidden floating tool head along with the uniquetek tool head clamp system. Then I would purchase redding or other top quality match dies that I need.

I have read so many threads that advocate neck sizing only, and just as many that suggest full length resize. If there is any part of this discussion that relates specifically to the 550b or anything I need to know I would appreciate you pointing it out to me

Not trying to waste anybody's time just can't afford to waste money right now. I have reloaded pistol and .223 with this press before progressively but as I said my goal in using the dillon is just to save buying a new single stage NOT to try and speed up the process by loading multiple cartridges at once.

Re: .308 Precision on dillion 550?

On neck-size only (NO) vs. full length sizing (FL), the general consensus is that NO sizing is easier on your brass, but can lead to less concentricity and eventually, you will need to bump the shoulder... it is usually not good to find that you needed to bump the shoulder on competition day and end up using your chamber as a sizing die and your bolt as a press.

I do what German Salazar has advocated and size in two steps... first a NO step, and then a FL step with a tighter neck bushing... but I am crazy like that.

I have a redding T-7 that works great-- I live in Phoenix and looked at the Dillion and for me it seemed that if you were going to do a lot like a assembly line then it would pay off. I prefer the single stage where I size everything ... then I move to priming then I move to seating etc....

You may want to look at the Redding T-7..

He already has the 550... so I agree, better to buy the Whidden Floating toolhead system and use it like a single stage press with the option to eventually load progressively.

I don't use a Dillon but a friend of mine, Service Rifle and F-Class shooter has. He said that the only problem he's ran into is that if you don't use each station the the shells can size differntly because of uneven pressure across the shell plate. I don't know if the Floating Tool Head Compensates for that or not. He also says every few reloads you have to do a full length resize. I also know that he loads most of his rifle ammo on a single stage.

I'd say try it. If nothing else you'll be set up for progressive .308 for 200 to 300 yards.

I load all my 308 on my Dillon 650, progressively, without any of the special toolheads etc that you mention. My ammo is easily capable of less than 1/2 MOA, and I've got the Fclass classification and X count to prove it.

Why not just run the 550 like it's meant to be used? My ammo concentricity is ALWAYS better than .0015, USUALLY better than .001, and often better than .0005".

I bushing size (slightly under) and bump shoulders with the Forster bushing/bump die, then finalize the neck size with a Sinclair expander, weigh charges individually, and seat with the Firster ultramic seater.

Good luck.

I also use the 550 to load match ammo, I am shooting 6.5 creedmoor, I de-cap and resize the brass (full length) I then throw them in the tumbler. Clean the primer pockets and run them through the Giraud trimmer. Prime a batch of brass and throw charges (with charge master, which is a recent purchase, before I used to dispense powder into beam scale with a tea-spoon and then trickle the last bit, now I program the charge master and go!) Then seat the bullets with the station that is for that die. I do not have any special tool heads either and I likely cannot shoot well enough to tell the difference. I have used a neck sizing die in my set-up before when loading for the .270 with Norma brass. The only stage I don't use for the Dillon is the powder throwing stage.

For the most part, I am with Hognuts. I follow the same routine (although I use the Dillon Powder measure system). I run BL-C2 powder, and it flows extremely well and consistent. I measure every charge anyways, but put them together if they are within +/- .1 grains as my rifle shoots these charges extremely close (to 600 yards). For further out, I measure to the gnats ass or Hognuts (lol). For concentricity though, I have no idea. Never measured it (nor do I have the equipment to do so), but rifle performance is never hampered by this method.

I use all Dillon stuff with RCBS dies and an Ohaus scale (oldie, but just dang near perfect). No special plates or anything.

I have tried to use my rl550 to load 308, but my headspace varies more than on my redding big boss. I'll get -.003-.005" instead of exactly .003" on the single.
I assume it is the shell plate.

Dillon shell plate flex will absolutely affect sizing and seating depths. I first noticed this in 2003 when I measured different seating depths on my 650 at the end of a run once the last piece of brass cleared the sizing die. At the time, I was trying for max output, so I was running a trimmer on the press. I quickly learned that for my accuracy loads, I was better off running all of my bass through once to prep, then a second time with a different toolhead to load. The flex of the toolhead can be noticed in both processes. It is best to think of the tool head as a see-saw. Choose the die station opposite of either the sizing or seating die and screw in a second powder die. Adjust the die so that it applies slight pressure on the shell plate when the ram is all the way up. This braces the plate when force is applied to a casing on the opposite side.

As I now use Dillon 1000's for my hi-cap reloading, I now size on a single stage, and seat with a wilson die/arbor press. It really is a fast and convenient way to go.

I use mine for all my precision .308 loads. I just run it as a single stage, and load each stage separately. Works perfect for me!

I use my Dillon 550B to load my match .308 rounds for two different rifles; I neck size only for one of those rifles and full-length size for the other with the tighter chamber, using Redding competition match dies; instead of the Dillon powder measure, I use my Prometheus II and dispense the weighed charges into the cases via an AT500 powder die and funnel in station 2 (my Prometheus II is mounted on a stand directly over the press)

Hey thanks a lot for the replies guys. I think for now I'll I'll try it on my dillon if a year from now I'm loading a lot of .308 consider the upgrade to co ax or the like. I really appreciate your advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadnbrkn84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use mine for all my precision .308 loads. I just run it as a single stage, and load each stage separately. Works perfect for me! </div></div>

Exactly how I do it. 308 and 300 wm...I have found I can load 223 stuff as good progressive as I can single stage.

I think the term is semi-progressive.

On my 550 i go as follows:

1st pass, I use a de-prime die in station-1 and a Dillon trimmer in station-3 for my 1st pass.

I have a Gracey trimmer with the 3-way cutter (Bob Jones) that I touch my cases in to de-burr/chamfer.

I full-legnth resize everytime and trim everytime, works for me.

2nd pass, I prime station-1, station-2 gets powder (weighed seperately) & station 3-has a Forester seater.

Redding did replace the seater in my Redding seater but advised me that they would not keep doing so as it was not designed for a progressive press or compressed powder charges(what ever that means).

With Redding or Forester seating dies, I've never had run-out over .05 thru several hundred rounds checked. I never check them anymore.

I like my my Dillons for reloading pinking stuff, but I find that their powder thrower can vary by as much as +- .4 grain. I use Varget, a rather large extruded powder.

I also get variances in Ogive Overall Length. The concentricity is usually pretty good.

For me, the powder variance is enough to load my 308 on a single stage where my ChargeMaster throws the powder, but I'd love to do it all on a Dillon to save time.

How do you all feel about powder variances?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: targaflorio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When do you fl resize? </div></div>

The Dillon trimmer is set up on a resizing die (full-legnth). one of these days, I might find someone to open up the neck-sizing portion so I don't have to run an expanding die on 2nd pass.

I didn't mention but I use a sizing die in station-1 on the 2nd pass set up to clean out the flash-hole and expand the case neck.

My 190gr load shoots >1 inch at 200 yds, pretty sure that is sub-MOA. >1/2 in vertical, wind usually gives me some horizontal. Shooting sanbagged prone at 600, less than 3" for a 10-shot group 1-time.

+1 to all the 550 precision rifle reloaders out there. I use it as a single stage to individually neck size, pop the shell and and drop a charge with the RCBS Chargemaster, then back to station 3 to seat. I can get into a groove and load one precision round every 30-60 seconds. Depending on your bench, it's wise not to work the press and disturb the Chargemaster while it's in the last phase attempting to trickle up.

For all my 308 plinking, and some accuracy loads, BLC-2 meters extremely well in the Dillon powder measure, just as ogreshooter states above. You can polish that measure all day long but I wouldn't waste your time with Varget, 4198, etc.

For bulk 223, I would eventually like to move up to the 2-toolhead process that 1lnbrdg mentions. I had always worried about the flat cut across the top of the case mouth with the Dillon RT1200 trimmer. Seems excessive to use a Gracey after the initial Dillon trim to chamfer but I do see why it's necessary. Even with boat-tail bullets, you run the risk of copper shavings since the case mouth has such a sharp 90 degree angle.

TL;DR -- go for it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like my my Dillons for reloading pinking stuff, but I find that their powder thrower can vary by as much as +- .4 grain. I use Varget, a rather large extruded powder.

I also get variances in Ogive Overall Length. The concentricity is usually pretty good.

For me, the powder variance is enough to load my 308 on a single stage where my ChargeMaster throws the powder, but I'd love to do it all on a Dillon to save time.

How do you all feel about powder variances? </div></div>

I load 4895 in the Dillon for M1A with no ill results, but rl-15 or Varget don't get quite as close, so I bought a thing from dillon that has the old 450 powder die and a nice funnel that drops in the top of it and I run my chargemaster as the powder dispenser. I actually started out by just taking off the powder measure and leaving the sliding thing in the die, but that wasn't too cool, as powder would hang on the rim of the slider and fall off on the shell plate.

I also drilled and tapped my press 1/4 20 and put a allen screw in the top and use that as a somewhat of a 'tightener', for lack of a better word, so the slop in the toolhead is run down against the bottom rail of the press. Cheapo quick fix for me.

Slow as crap when your used to running a 1050, but my guns can't tell the difference between AA2230 run
progressively on a 550 or RL-15 weighed and dropped into the powder die funnel arrangement thing.

I'm not near as good of a shooter as most folks here though, and I weighed some of the brown box stuff the teams are shooting and it looks (powder charge wise) like it was run on my worn out 550.

I'm sure your results will vary, but i believe in volume, shoot more, load less. Why go out a shoot twenty by yourself, when you can go out and shoot a few hunded, or more with some friends.

sean

Just ordered a coax. If you're gonna do it, you might as well do it right.

One of the best things to do for increased uniformity in sizing is to use case sizing wax.
Imperial or Hornady makes it in small tims that you apply with your fingers.
The pressure needed to resize cases is dramatically reduced and the base to shoulder dimension becomes boringly uniform.

FAR better than any sticky goo or spray if you are looking for properly sized cases.

Any yes, you will see a huge benefit with a progressive loader that needs the reduction in pressure to help keep dies and shell plate straight.

MV

MV how do u apply imperial wax can u dip cases for Do u have to do it by hand just thinking time constraints. Also how about the dry media lube does any of that work?

I was in the same boat as the OP and wondered if I'd get as precise with my 550 as a single stage. I have started using my 550 for F-class and have had great results. Measuring to oglive has shown all spot on to each other. I use a Whiddon toolhead with UniqueTek screws, Forster Dies, and manually drop powder through a Dillon AT die/funnel. I full length size as suggested by a High Master(just bumping the shoulder back) and use a Chargemaster for loading Varget.

I use my 550 like a progressive, just alot slower than cranking out pistol rounds. My steps are...

*Lube with Hornady Unique
*Full length resize (bumping shoulder .001-.002)
*Remove case, clean primer pocket, trim and chamfer if necessary
*Place back in station 1 and prime
*Weigh powder with Chargemaster and manually dump in station 2
*Seat bullet in station 3
*Nothing in station 4
*Tumble in vibratory cleaner for 15 minutes
*Time to shoot!

It takes a little time to set everything up correctly but once that is done, I have been very impressed and don't believe I can out shoot the ammo.
Hope this helps,
Jim

According to TresMon on sticky Hand Loading for Long Range 5: inspect & tips, he suggested using rubber O-rings on your dies to "float" them. Has anyone tried that vs using Whiddens floating die head? I have modified all my 550 die heads with UniqueTeks Tool Head Clamp System and it would seem to be a cheap way to accomplish the same thing vs buying new tool heads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wlwaldock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MV how do u apply imperial wax can u dip cases for Do u have to do it by hand just thinking time constraints. Also how about the dry media lube does any of that work? </div></div>

Dip/rub your index finger in the container, pick up a case, twist it between thumb & index finger, sliding up and down neck/shoulder/body. Takes about 5 seconds per case.

You can modify standard dillon toolheads to work just like the whidden ones with a drill in about 45 seconds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can modify standard dillon toolheads to work just like the whidden ones with a drill in about 45 seconds. </div></div>

tutorial?

RRFlyer,

Definitely would like to hear how to modify the toolheads.

Skeeter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skeeter355</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RRFlyer,

Definitely would like to hear how to modify the toolheads.

Skeeter </div></div>

Its pretty simple guys.

The whole point of the Whidden Toolhead is to allow the die to float/wiggle in the threads.

Take your standard toolhead and screw the die down without tightening and youll see that it still has some play.

What the Whidden Toolhead does is this.

Drill hole in top of toolhead and insert a pin, then with a file or dremel cut a slot in one of the lock rings.

What this does is allow you to insert the die into the lock ring then into the toolhead for die setup. The pin/lock ring cut simply keep the die from being able to unscrew.

Its important to use a lock ring with some sort of setting capability. The Dillon and lees wont work but the Forster and Hornady's should.

Reactions: Brent Parker

RRFlyer,

So from your description, the pin stops the lock ring from turning and the lock ring stops the die from turning if it has a set screw that you have turned into the die correct? How much room do you have between the pin and the lock ring?

TresMon on sticky "Hand Loading for Long Range 5: inspect & tips", he suggested using rubber O-rings on your dies to "float" them thus giving them wiggle room also. Do you think that would work with the toolheads too?

Thanks, Skeeter

The lock ring is clamped or set screwed onto the die so it can't turn.

The pin is then used to stop the whole die/lockring
Combo from unscrewing because it sits in the slot cut into the lock ring. As for clearance .... Not much. You want it to move freely but not so
Much that it can unscrew.

As for the rubber o-ring I think that will work as well if you can get one that will allow the die to move. The problem is finding that sweet spot with an oring that allows easy side to side movement but enough vertical pressure to keep the die from
Unscrewing.

Remember the dillon toolhead has a little play in it already. I wonder if someone has a concentricity guage to measure runout with a standard toolhead.

I have modified all my toolheads with UniqueTek Toolhead clamp kit so there is no movement of the toolhead. Yeah I can see there could be a problem with the die possibly unscrewing with the o-ring system. Will probably try the o-rings first and then use your technique. What are you using for a pin and the slot is cut in the side of the ring correct?

Skeeter

Hi all,

I've been using my old Dillon 550 as a multi-position single stage press for some time now. I scale each powder charge separately. The hot setup is one of Whidden's CNC'd floating toolheads modified with Unique Tek's clamping toolhead setup and precision roller bearing "Turbo Bearing" for the shell plate. These modifications resolve the only issues I've had with the Dillon 550 press and allow a Dillon 550 press to produce loaded ammunition that is the equal and in many cases better than any single stage press. Additionally using a Dillon 550 press saves money, time and space when compared with the option of using a single high-end single stage press or several high-end single stage presses to achieve similar results.

Currently I decap using the Redding Competition neck sizer with no bushing loaded in the die then ultrasonicaly clean the brass.

Then I use Imperial dry neck lube, prime and perform the 1st neck sizing (to within 0.005 of the target neck size) in the first floating position with a Redding Competition bushing neck die. This allows me to use the exact size neck die and achieve the exact neck size I want for that perfect 0.002 neck tension.

The second position is non-floating and has a Redding Instant Comparitor. This tool allows me to compare a loaded "perfect" round with what I'm producing in the press. So I skip this position and pull the primed and 1st neck sized case out to lube with Imperial case lube wax.

At this point I insert the case into the third position which is a floating position with has a Redding Type S Match neck and F/L case sizer with the decap pin removed. In this position I size to final neck dimension and a full length case resize with precise shoulder bump allowing 0.001" headspace for the rifle I'm loading rounds for.

Once I have a primed and perfectly sized neck case I have a loading block full of ready to charge cases. I scale the charges, fill the cases and then the cases are ready for bullet seating.

The last position in the modified Whidden CNC'd floating toolhead is a non-floating position with a Redding Competition bullet seater. I place a prepped and charged case under the Redding Competition bullet seater, seat and pull the finished round out of the shell plate and confirm ogive height in the Redding Instant Comparator in the second position of the modified Whidden CNC'd floating toolhead.

This configuration works unbelievably well and eliminates virtually all variation (0.0001" or less than 1/2 the width of the indicator needle) in shoulder bump and bullet ogive height! Amazingly good compared with the stock die cast Dillon toolhead setup with the nitrile O-ring trick.

The only thing that I'm working on is getting Whidden to make a one off CNC'd toolhead giving me the option to use any or all four positions as floaters. This would allow me to put the Type S Match F/L die in the second toolhead position allowing me to only move clockwise during the first neck sizing followed by the second neck and F/L case sizing then allow me to confirm shoulder height using the Redding Instant comparator immediatly after the two neck sizings and F/L case sizing operation to absolutely control the height of the shoulder.

Bullet seating could then be done counterclockwise with a final ogive check and pulled out of the shell plate at the third position at the Redding Instant Comparator position.

Please share your thoughts on this workflow as I'm always looking for ways to develop and improve my workflow and processes.

dillion550btoolhead.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On neck-size only (NO) vs. full length sizing (FL), the general consensus is that NO sizing is easier on your brass, but can lead to less concentricity and eventually, you will need to bump the shoulder... it is usually not good to find that you needed to bump the shoulder on competition day and end up using your chamber as a sizing die and your bolt as a press.

I do what German Salazar has advocated and size in two steps... first a NO step, and then a FL step with a tighter neck bushing... but I am crazy like that. </div></div>

Not really I do the same thing. People said I was crazy but German is correct!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't use a Dillon but a friend of mine, Service Rifle and F-Class shooter has. He said that the only problem he's ran into is that if you don't use each station the the shells can size differntly because of uneven pressure across the shell plate. I don't know if the Floating Tool Head Compensates for that or not. He also says every few reloads you have to do a full length resize. I also know that he loads most of his rifle ammo on a single stage.

I'd say try it. If nothing else you'll be set up for progressive .308 for 200 to 300 yards. </div></div>

Exactly the problem that I found and one of the reasons I use my modified 550 as a single stage press. The ammunition I load on the hot-rod 550 is good for very, very long distances.

Hey All,

I just got off the phone with Whidden Gunworks and they have already done what I proposed for people who send their Whidden CNC'd Floating toolheads in for rework to make all four positions floating dies. Cost is $10 per drilled and pinned hole plus $8.50 per locking pinned collar and $10 for shipping.

Now all I have to do is load up some ammo so I can be without the toolhead for a little bit!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wlwaldock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(Reloading .308 match loads for bolt action rifle)

I have been doing a lot of research on here and yes I have used the custom google search engine extensively. I know there are numerous threads out there about the different ways to load on the 550 and multiple people say they do it, but I just don't want to make any silly mistakes.

My goal is to basically use this press as a single stage unit, I don't understand the point of spending the money to buy a single stage when I have this great dillon machine basically collecting dust. If I am wrong here please explain.

I intend to purchase the whidden floating tool head along with the uniquetek tool head clamp system. Then I would purchase redding or other top quality match dies that I need.

I have read so many threads that advocate neck sizing only, and just as many that suggest full length resize. If there is any part of this discussion that relates specifically to the 550b or anything I need to know I would appreciate you pointing it out to me

Not trying to waste anybody's time just can't afford to waste money right now. I have reloaded pistol and .223 with this press before progressively but as I said my goal in using the dillon is just to save buying a new single stage NOT to try and speed up the process by loading multiple cartridges at once. </div></div>

The people who say they only neck size until their brass becomes hard to chamber are leaving shooting precision on the table that could be had for nothing but a change in their loading procedure. High precision ammunition needs to be produced as consistently as possible for a given load. This means all rounds of a given load are in every way measurable the same from loaded round to loaded round. If you are waiting until the cases grow enough to make it hard to chamber what you will find when you run them through a comparator is a wide variety of dimensions at important points along the case and at the bullet ogive. If the dimensions vary from round to round so will the bullet point of impact change round to round. It's been my experience that most production Remington 700 rifles are capable of inside 1/2 MOA precision with handloads that are specifically tailored for the indivdual rifle.

My setup is similar in function but simpler in setup.... F/L sizing die in station #1, powder die w/ funnel in station #2, nothing in station #3, micrometer seater die in #4. Whidden tool head with floating dies, clamped with the Uniquetek jack screws.

Cases are initially de-primed and cleaned off press. Clean cases are lubed w/ sizing wax (current tin says 'Hornady' on it) on the first 'pass'.

Cases get trim/chamfer/deburred on the Giraud, then primed, then I have sized/primed brass ready to charge/seat as needed.

I do charging & seating together via the powder die & funnel - that way the only operation going on while sizing cases is sizing cases, and the only thing going that could put any strain on the seating process is... seating the bullets, just like any other press.

YAOG:

Thats a nice setup! I dont see why you don't get a 650 or Hornady LnL and just load progressivel, though.

Also, to get that extra-consistent .002" neck tension, consider sizing with a bushing to slightly LESS than required, then using a Sinclair expander die to neck the case up that last little bit!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">YAOG:

Thats a nice setup! I dont see why you don't get a 650 or Hornady LnL and just load progressivel, though.

Also, to get that extra-consistent .002" neck tension, consider sizing with a bushing to slightly LESS than required, then using a Sinclair expander die to neck the case up that last little bit! </div></div>

Thanks! I started out using what I had just like the OP wants to do. I'm in no hurry to load ammo as I only shoot bolt guns. I'm happy to have 100 finished rounds in an hour and a half which is all I can really shoot well in a day.

My assembled rounds are I kid you not virtually identical to each other, within 0.0001". Unless you have at least a caliper based comparator or better yet Reddings Instant Comparator and a concentricity indicator you really have no idea how much your loaded rounds vary in concentricity, shoulder and ogive heights which are the critical dimensions to control.

As far as neck tension goes I prefer the concentricity improvements that come from using the Redding Type S Match F/L bushing dies and the Redding Competition seater together. They both improve unturned brass concentricity.

YAOG,

Great explanation of what you do. I have also modified all my toolheads with Uniquetek clamping system. What does their Turbo Bearing do for your system? Also what is the reason of not having the bullet seating die in a floating position? If there is uneven pressure across the shell plate wouldn't that cause concentricity issues in the loaded round? Also you didn't mention what you are doing with your brass. Are you uniforming the necks along with the standard trimming/champering?

I am using Redding dies but not the competition type. My brass (winchester) is perfectly round after full-length sizing (<.001 concentricity)but after I seat the bullet I am getting anywhere from .001 to .007. I haven't uniformed the necks yet which might be where I am getting the errors. I also was thinking the floating die might help the final concentricity errors but I see a couple of guys are not seating the bullets in a floating station.

Thanks for your inputs!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skeeter355</div><div class="ubbcode-body">YAOG,

Great explanation of what you do. I have also modified all my toolheads with Uniquetek clamping system. What does their Turbo Bearing do for your system? Also what is the reason of not having the bullet seating die in a floating position? If there is uneven pressure across the shell plate wouldn't that cause concentricity issues in the loaded round? Also you didn't mention what you are doing with your brass. Are you uniforming the necks along with the standard trimming/champering?

I am using Redding dies but not the competition type. My brass (winchester) is perfectly round after full-length sizing (<.001 concentricity)but after I seat the bullet I am getting anywhere from .001 to .007. I haven't uniformed the necks yet which might be where I am getting the errors. I also was thinking the floating die might help the final concentricity errors but I see a couple of guys are not seating the bullets in a floating station.

Thanks for your inputs! </div></div>

Skeeter,

The turbo bearing allowed me to run the bolt for the shell plate much tighter and still rotate smoothly. This means that the shell plate holds the case down better and there is less movement when the shell plate is is in the downstroke. This has the same effect as clamping the toolhead minimizing unwanted movement of the toolhead but in this case we are reducing unwanted movement of the brass case.

I hinted in a few places that I am loading no neck turn brass. I'm a bolt gun tactical shooter not a BR guy though I can see the technical attraction to some BR classes.

I run the Dillon as a single stage press and set up each die position to work with only one case in the press at a time to maximize control over case dimensions for each operation. There is no unbalanced pressure because there is only one case in the press at a time.

What most people who have good case measurement tools available see is that unless they are very careful to setup their dies in the Dillon press with a case in each location with a case forming or bullet seating die that there are huge variations in the resulting formed case dimensions and bullet ogive heights. This is one reason why many people who have tried to load very high precision ammunition to be fired from a bolt gun say they have problems with the Dillon when used as a progressive press.

The Dillon 550 can be setup to load very high quality rounds progressively but you have to consider the stresses across the ram and the press tool head and check your finished rounds as they are finished to keep the process in control. I prefer to scale every powder charge and this does not allow me to use the Dillon as a progressive very easily so I just treat the Dillon as a single stage press that happens to always be setup to perform all case and loading operations in one place.

HTH!

YAOG

Sounds like I need to get a turbo bearing!

So if you have the shell plate tight with a turbo bearing and the toolheads tight with their clamp kit, why do you still need the whidden floating toolhead. And if it is to further concentricity of sizing the brass, wouldn't it be good to use a floating station to seat the bullet for the same reason?

What brand brass do you use?

Thanks, Skeeter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So if you have the shell plate tight with a turbo bearing and the toolheads tight with their clamp kit, why do you still need the whidden floating toolhead.</div></div>

For the same reason you would float the dies in a conventional press. The toolhead clamp kit gets rid of the slop from the toolhead sliding around - moving all four holes at once. The turbo bearing lets you get the shell plate tighter and still turn somewhat easily. I'm not sure this has a huge effect on anything other than the nut between the Peltors - I've 'floated' the shell holder on my Redding/RCBS presses for years, and the Forster Co-Ax has spring-loaded jaws that allow the case head to 'float'.

Floating the individual dies ala the Whidden tool head lets them each find their own center as dictated by the forces exerted on them. The odds of Dillon machining all four holes with perfectly co-planar centers, given production tolerances, plus the likelihood of the threads on the dies themselves all being perfect... are vanishingly small. Floating the dies accommodates those small imperfections.

I most definitely float my seating dies. After going thru all the gyrations mentioned above, I'm at a loss as to why someone *wouldn't*...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I most definitely float my seating dies. After going thru all the gyrations mentioned above, I'm at a loss as to why someone *wouldn't*... </div></div>

That is why I am asking. He has a very detailed setup and I was surprised when I got to the end and he is seating in a non-floating station. It doesn't seem to affect his runout though.

Skeeter

Well yeah that's why I'm having Whidden modify my Whidden CNC'd floating toolhead to add floating die capability to the extra two positions they don't normally float. This gives me the ability to run the seating die floating or not if it doesn't make a difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skeeter355</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
memilanuk said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I most definitely float my seating dies. After going thru all the gyrations mentioned above, I'm at a loss as to why someone *wouldn't*... </div></div>

That is why I am asking. He has a very detailed setup and I was surprised when I got to the end and he is seating in a non-floating station. It doesn't seem to affect his runout though.

Skeeter </div></div>