• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

308 reloading question

patrick021

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2011
what is the best starting point for working up a load? I am using lake city brass what trim lenght should i start with and what oal bullet should i use . My 308 mag can hold a bullet lenght of 2.830. Thanks

Re: 308 reloading question

If you don't have a few reloading manuals, start there. I start at just under mag length myself. And I use the Optimal Charge Weight (OCW) testing method for testing loads. You could also use the Ladder test if you have the room. OCW is great if you are restricted to 100 yards like me.

Go here for the OCW stuff.
http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

Quick google of Ladder test will get you plenty of info for that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patrick021</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is the best starting point for working up a load? I am using lake city brass what trim lenght should i start with and what oal bullet should i use . My 308 mag can hold a bullet lenght of 2.830. Thanks </div></div>

what bullet? powder?

measure some of your cases and trim them all to the shortest one.

after that you would be wise to get a chamber length plug to see how long your chamber is (i dont trim mine till they get close to 2.04)

and seat just short of mag length

I dont mean to steal the thread, but does anyone have a source for large cardboard backing and a stand to hold it? Would love to try a 500 ladder and cant seem to find what I am looking for

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azhank</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont mean to steal the thread, but does anyone have a source for large cardboard backing and a stand to hold it? Would love to try a 500 ladder and cant seem to find what I am looking for </div></div>

do this

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu24.htm

and then i just went to lowes and asked them for a large peice of trash cardboard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justinbaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azhank</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont mean to steal the thread, but does anyone have a source for large cardboard backing and a stand to hold it? Would love to try a 500 ladder and cant seem to find what I am looking for </div></div>

do this

and then i just went to lowes and asked them for a large peice of trash cardboard </div></div>

thank you sir

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azhank</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justinbaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azhank</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont mean to steal the thread, but does anyone have a source for large cardboard backing and a stand to hold it? Would love to try a 500 ladder and cant seem to find what I am looking for </div></div>

do this

and then i just went to lowes and asked them for a large peice of trash cardboard </div></div>

thank you sir </div></div>

I would use PVC primer and cement on at least the base. Before you do that, fill the base up with sand or dirt, so it doesn't blow over in the wind.