• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.308 Rem 5r help

Nolo Contendere

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2013
Hilton Head SC
ok - I took a measurement w/ my Hornady OAL gauge on my Rem 700 5r MilSpec (new - never fired) & came up w/ 2.360 using a Nosler 150 Accubond. Worked up a load & ran it down to 2.340
OAL on the cartridge is 2.970, SAMI is 2.80 - they chamber fine but are to long for the magwell. What gives? Is it possible that the chamber is cut too deep on this rifle? I took over 15 measurements w/ 3 different bullets & all came out too long. I've been reloading for a number of years & have never had this problem before...

I would say typical.
A lot of factory 700's has a long throat.
Either single shot or keep getting shorter till it works.

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
Blacked out

Welcome to the world of Remington. My suggestion, call Remington and talk to customer service. Explain you measured your chamber and its way out of whack. Don't mention hand loads.

Welcome to the world of Remington. My suggestion, call Remington and talk to customer service. Explain you measured your chamber and its way out of whack. Don't mention hand loads.

The gun has never been fired so the fact that I hand load should be irrelevant, but I see your point; maybe I'll wait until I talk to someone at Remington before I fire it.
I called Customer Service today & they were closed for training. I just got a new Leupold scope for it this afternoon & really was looking forward to shooting it tomorrow...

The gun has never been fired so the fact that I hand load should be irrelevant, but I see your point; maybe I'll wait until I talk to someone at Remington before I fire it.
I called Customer Service today & they were closed for training. I just got a new Leupold scope for it this afternoon & really was looking forward to shooting it tomorrow...

Man I know the feeling... But in the long term , you'd be doing yourself a favor by not firing it until you "DEMAND " a new rig that has the corret freebore. (2.850 to 2.875 at the MOST!!)

It is a factory rifle with a factory barrel, thus all the SAAMI specs prevail. Long leade (throat) in factory reamers is common across the board these days because it lowers pressures. SAAMI doesn't really care about accuracy as it is their sole responsibility to bring safety standards to bear. I wouldn't get all torqued up about it until I shot it enough to see good v. bad.

It is a factory rifle with a factory barrel, thus all the SAAMI specs prevail. Long leade (throat) in factory reamers is common across the board these days because it lowers pressures. SAAMI doesn't really care about accuracy as it is their sole responsibility to bring safety standards to bear. I wouldn't get all torqued up about it until I shot it enough to see good v. bad.

You say safety. I got a .338 lapua 700 P that factory rounds were jammed in the lands. 3.570 to be in the lands. Sammi is 3.681. Might of been an isolated incident but this is why I'm so adamant about letting Remington know about it and hopefully do "the right thing " by replacing a rifle that's either too short or in the ops case , having to single Feed

You say safety. I got a .338 lapua 700 P that factory rounds were jammed in the lands. 3.570 to be in the lands. Sammi is 3.681. Might of been an isolated incident but this is why I'm so adamant about letting Remington know about it and hopefully do "the right thing " by replacing a rifle that's either too short or in the ops case , having to single Feed

So there is no misunderstanding, my comment wasn't really meant to support Remington's lack of QC. I have no love for them. I was in fact trying to say that the OP should shoot the gun, see if it is satisfactory and, if so, save himself the nightmare of dealing with Remington CS.

So there is no misunderstanding, my comment wasn't really meant to support Remington's lack of QC. I have no love for them. I was in fact trying to say that the OP should shoot the gun, see if it is satisfactory and, if so, save himself the nightmare of dealing with Remington CS.

10-4. Got ya

The fact that I can't make a custom handload & operate the rifle as it was engineered to is not satisfactory to me.
I feel it is a manufacturing flaw rather than a safety feature on their part - I'll call them on Monday & report back.

I also got the same rifle and few friends aswell.. one thing we found out none of these 5r milspec (stainless version) has shorter throat than 2.930 BUT they all shoot youll be amaze once you loading 168amax or 175smk he will put a smile to your eyes...:)

Did you contact Remington? Was it more or less the same as mine? What was the outcome?
I don't have my notes handy but it was a similar measurement.
It is considered normal for this rifle.
Basically you can load pretty much as long as you like.
The jump is a little more but the accuracy is pretty good.

I don't have my notes handy but it was a similar measurement.
It is considered normal for this rifle.
Basically you can load pretty much as long as you like.
The jump is a little more but the accuracy is pretty good.

ehh - I'll work them down to SAAMI specs when I get home & run them tomorrow.
I get so hung up on details sometimes that it's almost counter-productive. I find myself refusing to use factory ammo even though I do realize that millions of animals every year are taken with factory ammo & that they end up just as dead as they do with handloads...

+1 on the long leade. The factory rifles I've owned all have / had long throats, so long that you cannot reach the lands with VLD style bullets or hybrids and have the bullet actually seated in the case adequately, if at all. SMK's like jumping so they will shoot well; many of the higher-BC bullet designs do NOT like jumping so forget about using them. I once wasted a crapload of money and effort trying to make a 700P in .308 Win do something it was never intended to do (shoot Scenars...). Now I know better. If you want to shoot your choice of bullets, have a custom barrel installed with the chamber designed the way you want it.

My wife's 5R has excessive freebore too. It shoots just fine. My advice is to see how it shoots and proceed from there.

I have two of them and have never measured freebore. 168 and 175 SMK's shoot well less than MOA. I just load to 2.800-.2.805 and keep shooting.

Just my .02

Weatherby has always chambered with gracious amount of free bore. My Weatherbys shoot well. I still would advise the OP to shoot the rifle before getting a headache trying to get any where with Remington CS. Been there and done that and you will never win.

My 700 5R has 2.945 total COAL with a 175 SMK and 2.992 with a Berger 1750OTM.

It's just Remington's way of saying "we don't want you to blow yourself up." Shoots sub MOA all day long when I am able to match it's performance.

Load stuff up and go shoot it. I find that a COAL of roughly 2.9" works well with 175 SMK's.

Last edited:
Long free bore is typical for Remington bolt rifles. All of mine are chambered longer than the magazine will allow for length to reach the lands. All shoot well.

There are about 7000 threads on this subject on Snipers Hide alone not to mention other shooting forums.

Load to magazine length if you want to maximize your COAL and still load the magazine. If you choose to do a DBM, the AI magazines will allow an additional 3 hundredths (Or perhaps more) of overall length.

Bottom line, there is a absurdly high probability that nothing is wrong with your 5R.

As the posters above said, shoot her and see for yourself!

I have a Rem 5-R also, and although very accurate, all my loads seem much slower than other prople's using the same loads. Could the long freebore have something to do with this?

Depends how different the ammo was, what bullet, powder charge, speed, etc. Sounds like you got a good shooter.

Off topic here, but I like to build 308 rifles on long actions. Allows me to seat to the base of the neck and not have to worry about mag length...ever.

It groups well (ragged holes) but when I changed ammo it was off by 4 inches or so at 100 yards. Not a big concern but a bit unusual.
Elevation? If so, that is velocity and different ammunition using different projectiles/powder/primers do crap like that.

Pick a bullet, powder, primer and get thee reloading. Anything (well just about anything) you make yourself will kick factory ass AND allow you to tailor your load to your rifle.

Enjoy that rifle. Get out and shoot some bugholes!

Drop a stealth dbm and a type 2 alpha mag in it. That'll get ya closer if you so desire. I jump the rounds .101 out of my remy and it likes it

2.815 seems to be doing the job.
I loaded up some 165 Partitions behind 45.5 grains of BL-C2, as per Nosler's data. Will be hitting the range Wed afternoon...

I personally like my long bore.

I'm not one to need to use the magwell, but what the long bore allows me to do is load long. Currently 208gr AMAX with 46gr RL17. That charge is unlikely to work in a COAL ~2.8 catridge, and sure as heck wouldn't work with the upper node I sometimes load.

So I guess I can understand complaints depending on what you need / want.