• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.308 Savage 10 PC or 10 FCP-K opinions

fireEMT5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2010
S.E. Minnesota, USA
I'm pondering the idea of getting a .308 in either the Savage 10 PC - 20" or 10 FCP-K - 24". I'd like to hear the opinions of those who have either or both. Reason for going with the .308 - alot of available ammo, alot of choices for reloading which I do now in 5.56/.223 and 9mm.

Primary uses will be deer hunting on the wide open praire of North Dakota, as well as some coyotes.

Will probably use it at the range and out shooting steel as well - realistically 400 - 600 yds. I'd like to go out further, but that won't be very often.

Am having a hard time deciding which model. I like the aspects of the shorter 10 PC. Do I gain that much by going to the FCP-K with the 24" barrel and brake?

This isn't going to be some major project. Buy the gun, add a stock pack, 20 moa rail, rings, some good glass, a sling, and maybe a bipod.

Yes, I've used the google search and tried any and all search phrase combinations, thus reading until I can't anymore for the past couple weeks.

I know that I'm giving up somewhere in the area of 15 - 25 fps/per inch shorter barrel.

Is the fluted barrel, brake and extra 4" length the way to go - have it and not need it? Or, will the 20" PC get it done?

Anxious to hear thoughts, opinions, pros, cons to hopefully make a better, more informed purchase. Unfortunatly I don't know anyone who has either, hence the reason for posting here. Please go easy on me, but let me have the honest truth.

Re: .308 Savage 10 PC or 10 FCP-K opinions

Distance you are going to be shooting it? Under 400-500 yards I would go with the 20" PC. Lighter and less expensive. Over 500 yards, go 24". You will want the extra velocity for ethically placed shots.

Spend some time on researching good glass. I know the new improved search site works awesome while researching glass.

I have the 24" 10FCP HS rifle. Shoots awesome. At least 1 moa as far as I have shot it (600 yards or so). Under 300, shoots 3/4 and better moa groups from a steady position.

Ogre

Like it was said before you need to figure out how far you are wanting to shoot. With a 308 winchester I would hope you wont be trying the 600 plus on larger game. If you are looking to do long range as such I would choose a 300 win mag or 7mm rem. Back to the 308, I have the 10 FCP-K and it performs awsomely. I use the 185 berger huntig VLDs out of it and it has given me .38 to .425 moa groups consistantly. I have a Vortex PST 6-24 on the way that I am going to put on it. I found a wedsite that actually had them in stock, I should have mine on the 17th. All though I dont know anything about the 10pc but its built by savage so dont think you will go worng with ether of the two styles.
Good luck and have some fun

I have no intentions of trying to shoot game(deer or yotes)@ 500 - 600 yds. Hunting will mostly be 100 - 200 normally, with 300 the max I'd even try.

The longer stuff would be more towards targets or steel.

Having never shot a rifle with a brake on it, I'm just hoping to learn of the pros and cons. On one hand I like the idea of the 20" for portability, on the other the extra reach and brake.

As for glass I was thinking of the IOR 2.5x10 or 3x18. Want FFP mil/mil keeping my glass budget around $1500 or less.

Thank you for the replys so far.

For a hunting rifle, 400-600 yds I would prefer a lighter rig with a medium/sporter weight barrel. In 308 a 20" bbl will be fine.

I would consider the 308 a fine hunting round within 600 yards. As long as terminal velocity is around 1800-2000fps, the bullet will perform well...that's your effective range given good shot placement.

I'd take a hard look at a Rem LTR as a better all around rig or the Tactical or AAC version if you want it threaded, and put whatever brake you want to on it; but generally, a brake is not needed on a 308.

Put the AAC in a better, lighter stock, don't go crazy on a big heavy scope, and you will have a light/handy package for any use...and you could put the whole rig w/glass together for $1500.

TC

Honestly for hunting there is no need for the heavy barrels. Heavy barrels are needed if you're going to long range shooting competitions where you're going to be shooting more than 3-5 shots back to back. If you're taking one maybe two shots then a sporter barrel will easily get the job done. My brother used a stock stevens and hit at 900 yards with a 120gr bullet out of a 7mm-08 so there is no reason you can't get away with a sporter barrel. Just don't shoot fast and it won't heat up and throw rounds.

I'd recommend the 11 FCNS for you. Drop bottom metal, 22" barrel and is only 7lbs. I HIGHLY recommend leaning towards 7mm-08. Nosler custom makes some GREAT factory ammo for it and if you reload you can use 308 brass and neck it down (that's what I use now). With the 1 in 9.5" twist it comes with you can run the 120g noslers all the way up to the 162amax. Just do a search on youtube and you will see the 7mm-08 with even the lighter bullets will easily take down game.

PM me any questions you might have. Also I could make you up a custom rig prefect for hunting for the same price you're looking at now.

Good luck,
Merritt