• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 savage bolt & barrel alignment

cdfields

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2009
fayette,al
Recently purchased a buddy's Savage 308 FCP and have been working on some loads and noticed marks on the bullets. Not from the bullet touching the rifling but a half moon on the bottom of the bullet. I'm using 175 smk. I have been work up loads for awhile and can't get group smaller than 1-1/4". Need info on why rifling marks don't show and this ring half way around the bullet does.

Re: 308 savage bolt & barrel alignment

sorry, no pics but really need some info, i think this might be an issue with accurancy

Even if you seat them way way out will you only get the ring? And if you seat them excessively short do you still get the ring?

setted short no only when setted to touch the rifling, instead of rifling marks the ring appears

I think I know what you are talking about. Does it look like scuff marks on the bullet where it begins to be it largest diameter, and if you keep seating them deeper the mark starts to disappear when you chamber the round?