• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Semi Auto Chest Rigs???

depending on how much you want to spend, and what you want on it...the options are literally endless.

a 308 mag (for an AR10) will fit in alot of molle mag pouches. Whatever you do, i recommend you buy modular and stay modular. I have a condor recon chest rig (just to decide if i like chest rigs) and the only thing I dont like about it is the pouches are sewn in so there is no modifying it. I am going to be putting together another / better rig.
my future setup:
Original S.O.E. Gear OR Original S.O.E. Gear
a couple of these Original S.O.E. Gear
one or two of these for GP usage Original S.O.E. Gear

I have not found the "dreaded" problem so many people have with the cheap molle (condor/voodoo etc) gear, but I dont use my shit everyday either...

Original S.O.E. Gear
TACTICAL TAILOR Quality Tactical Gear for Military and Law Enforcement

I have a High Speed Gear rig that fits 7.62 M110 mags. The mag pouches are designed to handle 3x M4 mags or 2x 762 mags. It didnt break the bank and allows for my mags to be in the same location regardless of weapons system. Im not sure of the specific model, but its durable (3x deployments with this rig).

To the OP: what is your intended use and budget?

OSOE micro rig and the HSGI taco pouches combined will allow you to arrange your rig however you want it or multiple caliber mags and or configurations. There are so many designs and variables out there that you need to be more specific in what you want.

Not exactly chest but I love my TYR Coma!

Same here, it's awesome for long gun applications.buts it's not a chest rig by any means.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

+1 for the Mayflower rig. I recently used it in a carbine class, very happy.

Papa, What back panel are you running on it?

Mine set up for a Bolt gun and handgun set up. When running the GAP-10 I just reconfigure with Mag pouches.
Jason builds really quality stuff!
View attachment 8683

I am using the back panel that comes with the coma and I've attached the backpack to the panel via PALS/MOLLE on each. The backpack is something Tyr made/makes for a specific customer/application that I retro fitted onto the COMA. I run a G code holster on the right side of the belt, thats what the tan round disk is for. I opted to use older Paraclete mag pouches as they can hold 5,10 round AICS MAGS,pistol as well as M4 mags. They have enough velcro that even if I have just 1 mag in the pouch I can close the top flap enough to keep it from moving around. The other Paraclete pouches have elastic that compresses them down so I can throw in everything from small binos to a kestrel,etc. The other pouch is a Tyr Gp pouch that an hold anything else pretty much.

Papa, how do you like that g-code? they look awesome, and it is on my list of crap to buy.

I love it, no issues. The modularity allows for quick switching of kit. I can switch my holster from this set up to a war belt in seconds. The quality is top shelf but the price is reasonable , it is on par with Safariland if not higher. You can buy 1 holster and have it for every application you need due to their modular accessory line.

With load carrying equipment, you might want to approach your solution(s) based on several important factors:

¤ What environment will I be in?

¤ What is my body type? (Height/weight/build)

¤ What type of scenarios do I need to access the mags in? (Open terrain patrolling/hunting? Riding in a vehicle discreet? Attending high-volume courses involving lots of movement East or West of the Mississippi? Helo hog-hunting?)

There are several generations of load-bearing gear and different approaches with each one. We can start with belt-based kit, which is historically rooted in 1800's and earlier military wide belt systems that maintained dominance in conventional armies through the 1990's, where they were finally displaced by modular systems. The benefits to belt & suspender systems is that they can be relatively lightweight, and offer the most breathing room for your chest and back. Modern large padded belt & suspender systems with MOLLE/PALS webbing on them are a huge leap in comfort and capability over last century models, and many modern gear makers have offerings based on them.

SAS Kit that would support the L1A1:

Modern Belt Kit with Suspenders:

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/TT-Battle-Belt-Small.jpg

The next type is the AK chest harness variants. There are a lot of great offerings and they are simple, relatively snag-free affairs that also work really well with wearing a rucksack or 3-day pack. In hot weather or intense movement, they can suck for overheating, since so much of your chest is covered, so the models with spacing and mesh on the backface help mitigate this issue. I like chest rigs that are integrated with a hydration unit on the back, with routing through the suspenders that is concealed and snag-free, that also doesn't dig into your upper & middle trapezius group.

http://www.tea-and-medals.co.uk/images/equip_chestrig_front.jpg

Then you have your various vest types, like Rhodesian & South African, the widely imitated Eagle TAC-V series, US LBV types that were improved upon greatly by the Squeals, and one of my favorites-the British DPM Assault Vests with mesh, internal map/doc pouches, with plenty of utility and mag pouches.

https://www.dragonsupplies.co.uk/u_images/1226001569_LG.jpg

For your pouches, you need to determine if protecting the mags from foreign debris is more important, or quick access is your priority. For me, when I'm in high dust/wind environments or when I expect to do a lot of crawling no matter what environment I'm in, traditional enclosed mag pouches are the way to go. Right now, open-top fast access mag pouches that are really designed for fairly sanitary short-duration mission profiles are popular, since you can access the mags much quicker for reloads, and everyone wants to be kitted out like a JSOC SMU kicking in doors in the middle of the night after being infil'd via MH-6, but the reality is that that mission profile isn't really appropriate for most people to model their load carrying configuration after.

What you can do is have most of your pouches fully enclosed if protection is important, then have one or two open-top pouches for your speed reloads.

For 7.62 NATO 20rd mags, I like to be able to use a common pouch that will accommodate both 30rd 5.56 M4 & battle rifle loads so I don't have to re-configure anything. Others use a dedicated kit for each. Paraclete had a cool system where you could zipper off modular panels that are also MOLLE, and keep your load-bearing base kit the same, and allow quick configuration of your set-up depending on the weapon you were carrying, while leaving your hydration, commo, navigation, survival, & med kit unmolested.