• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report .308 shooters

Re: .308 shooters

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DoubleBarrel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone shooting 168 to around 600y then 175 further?</div></div>

I'm sure some people are. Whatcha looking for?

mine shoots black hills 175 well and fgmm 168 a close second. can pick up 168 a little cheaper if i dont reload just wondering how it works for anyone

Both will get you to 600 just fine. 175's will give you more performance at range. May check some of these guys here on the hide selling match ammo, they seem to be a little cheaper than the Name brand ammo. FGMM & BH -Brandon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DoubleBarrel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone shooting 168 to around 600y then 175 further? </div></div>

Mine takes it out to 1K easily with the 175 gains.

Easier to just shoot 175's all the time. That way you don;t need to keep them seperate, don't need to adjust point of aim/zero for different load, etc.

These guys make damned good match 175 for $1/rd when you buy 200rds (and they're 'hide sponsors, and they're retired Marines, and they're good guys, and they support precision rifle matches, and...):
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...325#Post2157325
http://www.southwestammunition.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DoubleBarrel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone shooting 168 to around 600y then 175 further? </div></div>

Started out doing this. Just went to 175's for everything out to 1K.

168's shoot great but like all others stated, why learn two ammo's dope?
I have some left from my last box, I will load them up just for checking my rifles ability at 100 yards, if there ever is a doubt. All other times I just shoot my 175's because they shoot so well and I need to learn their dope to 1000 yards.
SScott

Not any more. I used up my 168 mk's and am going to only one bullet the 175 mk. For target shooting why use several different bullets if you don't have to?

+1 on shooting the 175 exclusively.

The 168MK has inherent stability issues beyond 800 yards, and that is fact not fiction.

Easier to learn one round and master it.

vman,

Do you have any idea whether the 168 A-Max also has stability issues past 800, similar to the MK?

Out to 800 yards, the 168MK's work great out of my FN SPR. Past that they go to hell. I worked up some data on 175's, but have not taken them out to 1K yet. The Scenar 155's seem to shoot better at 300, so I might go to shooting those exclusively.

I shoot the 168 amax out of my heavy barreled 308 savage. It shoots extremely well at 800 yards cause that is the farthest I have been able to get up a target where I live. Fights the wind well at that distance. My best group so far has been 5.875 inches for 5 shots.

I had a bunch of 168gr GMM that I used to break my rifle in. After I burned through that, I started using 175gr. The 175gr has done everything I have asked of it out to nearly 900m. I have no reason what so ever to go back down to 168

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">vman,

Do you have any idea whether the 168 A-Max also has stability issues past 800, similar to the MK? </div></div>

Couldnt tell you mate, this information originates from Bryan Litz so I cant accurately comment.

They are both similar at the boat tail end, but the bearing surface and ogive are different.

A friend and I were shooting at 1200yds this past summer. I was running 175SMK and he was running 168 amax. The amaxes were not hitting sideways. Both his and mine were nice little circles as you would like to see.

I forget his velocity, but he was running them out of a 26" barrel if memory serves.

Thanks for the feedback. Reason I'm asking is an extension of the OP's original post. I've been testing a variety of factory loads through a DTA SRS Covert 16" 8-twist barrel. I've found that anywhere past 200 yd, there is a noticeable difference between Black Hills 168s and 175s (175s being the better, and more so the farther out I go). Because my original thought was that the 16" barrel might lose a lot more MV than it actually did, I tried several lighter (shorter) and faster loads like the 155 gr Scenars. However, now I'm wondering whether Shorty's 8-twist might really favor a longer heavier load, which is what I seem to be seeing. But obviously, there is a limit to how useful that will be if the MV drops below a certain point.

Because I don't (as yet) reload, I'm at the mercy of factory ammo (yeah, I know, I'm just really not in a position to do it right now). Anyhow, I thought I might try the 168 A-Max's in regular and Superformance flavors, 180 gr Nosler Accubonds, and 190 gr SMKs, all of which should do at least 2500 fps from Shorty, just to see if I can do any better than the 175s. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

With my 26" barrel the Amax does not go transonic until past the 1000yd mark based on my ballistic software...I have not shot out that far yet, but have found elevation and windage to be more favorable than the 168 FGMM. Give the Amax match ammo a try...I have been impressed with them so far.

175SMK and 178Amax are likely your best candidates from a short barrel.