• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

308 Shorter Barrel?

valentin_84

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2008
Arizona
I see a bunch of you guys have 20" 308 bolt rifles. Is there a reason for that length of barrel? I do want a shorter rifle later on and was wondering what the best length seems to be? Does the 18" minimum length law still stand with bolt guns?

Thanks!

Re: 308 Shorter Barrel?

I have a 308 built by APA that has an 18.5" barrel. It was done that way to host my suppressor and still be easy to get around with.
I also have a 20" barrel on my AI AE MKII. Out to 600 yards there isn't that much difference in how they shoot. Beyond that I prefer a 22 to 24 inch barrel.
But that is just my opinion.

About two months ago I decided to find out what 6" of barrel length would yield with identical loads fired in both of my Remington’s, one 20" tactical and one 26" varmint. Here is what I found, FWIW...

Remington SPS Tatical20"
175smk 44.5 varget load @ 2.825oal = 2550fps
155 lapua scenar varget 46.7 load @ 2.825 = 2750fps

Remington Varmint 26" same loads as above.
175 = 2645
155 = 2850

So in my rifles you gain ~100 fps from those extra 6" of factory barrel. I also have a 21" rock creek custom that matches the 26" factory barrel velocities so it does make a difference on what you are comparing. The rem tactical gets more use as it just more convenient to carry and better balanced compared to the 26" and I can still knock the steel plates around at 1000 with 175's. If I were to build another 308 I'd stay close to 21" personally.

Thanks for the info, NC. I've seen others who've done the same thing and they've seen pretty much the same results.

I have a 16.5" Remington in a McMillan HTG that has a factory takeoff barrel that I screwed on. It does .5" to .75" at 100. I really didn't care about the velocity, I just wanted something short and handy(like me). Even with the varmint contour barrel, it would be plenty handy for a day of walking around fields.

The balance is also good.

I am of the same opinion short barrels are great for 600yds and in out past that the barrel needs to be longer. Rifle being a 308 win, velocity helps past 600yrds. The longer you bullet stays super sonic the farther it will shoot accurately.

I went the 20" route mainly because the rifle will host a suppressor eventually, and I didn't want to end up having a 34-35" barrel.

Don't know about factory loadings, but my hand-loads (175gr SMK over 45gr of Varget) produce a MV of just over 2600 fps, and remain supersonic out to 1000 yds.

If I was unsure of what I wanted I would have went with a longer barrel. It's not that big of a deal to have one shortened up, but it's pretty tough to make one longer
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About two months ago I decided to find out what 6" of barrel length would yield with identical loads fired in both of my Remington’s, one 20" tactical and one 26" varmint. Here is what I found, FWIW...

Remington SPS Tatical20"
175smk 44.5 varget load @ 2.825oal = 2550fps
155 lapua scenar varget 46.7 load @ 2.825 = 2750fps

Remington Varmint 26" same loads as above.
175 = 2645
155 = 2850

So in my rifles you gain ~100 fps from those extra 6" of factory barrel. I also have a 21" rock creek custom that matches the 26" factory barrel velocities so it does make a difference on what you are comparing. The rem tactical gets more use as it just more convenient to carry and better balanced compared to the 26" and I can still knock the steel plates around at 1000 with 175's. If I were to build another 308 I'd stay close to 21" personally. </div></div>

Good info bro, thank you!

+1 I've never seen hard data on .308 barrel lengh affect on velocity. I've heard you lose about 50 fps/inch cut off from 26" Thanks for the data.

I've noticed most instructors at schools I've attended are shooting short (20") barrels. Even those instructors that shoot competitive sniper competitions locally and over seas.

I eventually want a 18.5" or a 20" bolt gun haven't decided on a caliber. Main reason for a shorty rig is just like terrance said IMO. To keep your rifle at a decent OAL while still having the ability to get to a 1000yds, yet also having more mobility. I have a 24" that i plan on suppressing, which will bring it out to 33" but i've had this rifle planned like this for 3 years. Also serves as a great truck gun, my 18" SPR is a pretty small package when you factor collapsing the stock in.

I have a 18 3/4 bolt gun being built. The shorter barrel suits my needs.
smile.gif

Re: .260? Shorter Barrel?

This is a great thread. Anyone shooting the 6.5's in shorter barrels? Plenty of guys around here shooting 26" .260's but I'm still curious about a 20ish barrel in 6.5...

I was extremely curious about a 6mm round in a 20" or 18.5". I'm definitely going to have one built in a couple of years, i'm thinking 6XC.

They're a couple of reason's. 1 to have a lighter, shorter, package for urban tactical in and out or vehicles and other applications. 2 cool factor if you are not working with the weapon. Depending on all the load factors and atmospheric factors it will or won't get you to a 1000. I believe the rule of thumb is for every 1000 feet of sea level, you add 1 inch of barrell. So at 4000 feet you would in essence have a 24 inch rifle.

I was running a 168 Amax over 44.0gr of Varget out of an 18.5" tube at 2571fps at 950' above sea level.

Same load in a 16.5" tube was right at 2500 fps.

In comparison, a 24" tube netted 2640fps with the same load.

All three rifles were absolute lasers with that load and the 18.5" tube was a consistent sub-half MOA rifle.

ive got a 18 inch 308 its a hammer at 600 yds with 45 grains varget and a 175 smk winchester brass any primer it works for me. go short

I have the 14.5" barreled POF with the permanently pinned suppressor which prevents you from having to get the SBR tax stamp. It shoots the 168g Amax over 44 grains of varget right at 2500fps. Very accurate rifle.

You can perma weld a Suppressor? I thought it was only Flash hiders?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: loaders_loft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a great thread.</div></div>

Damn it, finally! Look mom, they can't make fun of me anymore!!!
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Da-Law-Dawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was running a 168 Amax over 44.0gr of Varget out of an 18.5" tube at 2571fps at 950' above sea level.

Same load in a 16.5" tube was right at 2500 fps.

In comparison, a 24" tube netted 2640fps with the same load.

All three rifles were absolute lasers with that load and the 18.5" tube was a consistent sub-half MOA rifle. </div></div>

Dude, that's awesome! I was just wondering because I'm runnin a Rem XCR with a 26" barrel. It's soooooo long! My next .308 will definitely be a 18.5".

Also, just wondering, I noticed a lot of people are going with 18.5" barrels instead of going with the minimum 18". Why is that?

What do you mean by the "minimum" being 18 inches? Last I heard, minumum rifle barrel length without SBR tax was 16 inches. 18 inches was the minimum for shotguns. Or are those numbers wrong?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you mean by the "minimum" being 18 inches? Last I heard, minumum rifle barrel length without SBR tax was 16 inches. 18 inches was the minimum for shotguns. Or are those numbers wrong? </div></div>

ranger,

You are correct, 16" on rifles, 18" on scatterblasters with both having a minimum OAL of no shorter than 27".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: valentin_84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, just wondering, I noticed a lot of people are going with 18.5" barrels instead of going with the minimum 18". Why is that? </div></div>

Minimum on a rifle is a 16" barrel and an OAL minimum of 27" per the ATF.

Most builders go 1/2" over minimum as a legal buffer to keep one's ass out of a sling.

Seems like alot of bolt gun guys are just lenght snobs.. here is my TT threaded 16inch .308.

perfect length for what I intend to use it for...

DSC04583.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you mean by the "minimum" being 18 inches? Last I heard, minumum rifle barrel length without SBR tax was 16 inches. 18 inches was the minimum for shotguns. Or are those numbers wrong?</div></div>

I'm sorry, your right. Got that number mixed up somehow.

I run a 18 inch barrel on my 308 (it is a gas gun), but I can still take it out to 1000+ yards with 178 AMAX bullets. Personally I don't see a need for a barrel over 20 inches in 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sweetbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems like alot of bolt gun guys are just lenght snobs.. here is my TT threaded 16inch .308.</div></div>

Do you think 16" would be too short if it was un-suppressed? I haven't seen any 16" bolt .308's on here yet...

My Remington 700 was cut and threaded to 18", and I love it. It's a sub MOA shooter all day long, and I've been able to go out to 1200 yards with it. Last training course I took, my partner had the same rifle, but the barrel on his was 20". We both shot Black Hills 175. We compared dope, and while there was a difference, it wasn't significant enough to make me want a longer barrel, especially when you have the added length of the suppressor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: loaders_loft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it only .308's with these 16-20" barrels? what's the secret? </div></div>

I just finished an SPR build in 5.56 that is also 18". For me, 18" barrels give me the best balance between manuverability and ballistics. Others may disagree. I'm sure there's other calibers where a shorter barrel would work, but someone more knowledgeable than me would have to give you some examples

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: terrance250</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went the 20" route mainly because the rifle will host a suppressor eventually, and I didn't want to end up having a 34-35" barrel.

Don't know about factory loadings, but my hand-loads (175gr SMK over 45gr of Varget) produce a MV of just over 2600 fps, and remain supersonic out to 1000 yds.

If I was unsure of what I wanted I would have went with a longer barrel. It's not that big of a deal to have one shortened up, but it's pretty tough to make one longer
wink.gif
</div></div>

So what brass and primer are you using ?

thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: loaders_loft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it only .308's with these 16-20" barrels? what's the secret? </div></div>

308 Winchester is a rather effient round. When you couple case capacity w/ powder burn rates vs bore size you come up with a very nice equation. Complete powder burn is done within the first 16-18 inches of barrel length. Some guys run longer barrels to pickup modest gains in velocity but simply fact of the matter is that accuracy and velocity have little in common. However when you are talking about the palma crowd that has to run 155 grain bullets velocity is important to keep the bullet stable all the way out to the 1000 yard mark. On the other hand when you are talking about 175+ grain bullets they stay stable through the transonic barrier and thus velocity is not not much an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: valentin_84</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sweetbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems like alot of bolt gun guys are just lenght snobs.. here is my TT threaded 16inch .308.</div></div>

Do you think 16" would be too short if it was un-suppressed? I haven't seen any 16" bolt .308's on here yet...</div></div>

Here's my 16.5 inch shorty. It shoots the 155 Lapua Scenar at 2750 fps with MOA accuracy out to 600 yards, I haven't shot it at any further distances yet.

Brians027.jpg

Click the link to read a short review on my rifle with more pics if your interested.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...389#Post2548389

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">308 Winchester is a rather effient round. When you couple case capacity w/ powder burn rates vs bore size you come up with a very nice equation. Complete powder burn is done within the first 16-18 inches of barrel length. Some guys run longer barrels to pickup modest gains in velocity but simply fact of the matter is that accuracy and velocity have little in common. However when you are talking about the palma crowd that has to run 155 grain bullets velocity is important to keep the bullet stable all the way out to the 1000 yard mark. On the other hand when you are talking about 175+ grain bullets they stay stable through the transonic barrier and thus velocity is not not much an issue. </div></div>

So, if I went with an 18" barrel (without a suppressor) and shot the 175gr bthp .308, I should be able to be shooting out to 1000yds?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: valentin_84</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">308 Winchester is a rather effient round. When you couple case capacity w/ powder burn rates vs bore size you come up with a very nice equation. Complete powder burn is done within the first 16-18 inches of barrel length. Some guys run longer barrels to pickup modest gains in velocity but simply fact of the matter is that accuracy and velocity have little in common. However when you are talking about the palma crowd that has to run 155 grain bullets velocity is important to keep the bullet stable all the way out to the 1000 yard mark. On the other hand when you are talking about 175+ grain bullets they stay stable through the transonic barrier and thus velocity is not not much an issue. </div></div>

So, if I went with an 18" barrel (without a suppressor) and shot the 175gr bthp .308, I should be able to be shooting out to 1000yds? </div></div>

Correct. I run 178 grain AMAX bullets through my 18 inch 308 and can get them past the 1000 yard mark.

So, if I went with an 18" barrel (without a suppressor) and shot the 175gr bthp .308, I should be able to be shooting out to 1000yds? [/quote]

Can it reach that far? Yes. However, an 18" .308 wouldn't be my first choice if I were constantly shooting out to 1000 yds. With my 18" rifle and limited skill, I am pretty consistent out to about 800 yards. Beyond that, it gets a little chancy for someone like me. But the rifle does have the capability to reach out to 1000 (without a suppressor).

Here is my .308 with a 16.5 inch barrel.....originally built to run with a can but I have found I like it much better without it. Running 175 Fed duty rounds and 175 SMK over 42.5 Varget out past 700 without much issue.

023.jpg

B.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: valentin_84</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sweetbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems like alot of bolt gun guys are just lenght snobs.. here is my TT threaded 16inch .308.</div></div>

Do you think 16" would be too short if it was un-suppressed? I haven't seen any 16" bolt .308's on here yet... </div></div>

I only shoot suppressed... and I only shoot short guns
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: valentin_84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, if I went with an 18" barrel (without a suppressor) and shot the 175gr bthp .308, I should be able to be shooting out to 1000yds? </div></div>

it will certainly make it to 1k but it is far from the ideal setup. then again, a 308 is far from the ideal 1k yard cartridge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: valentin_84</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">308 Winchester is a rather effient round. When you couple case capacity w/ powder burn rates vs bore size you come up with a very nice equation. Complete powder burn is done within the first 16-18 inches of barrel length. Some guys run longer barrels to pickup modest gains in velocity but simply fact of the matter is that accuracy and velocity have little in common. However when you are talking about the palma crowd that has to run 155 grain bullets velocity is important to keep the bullet stable all the way out to the 1000 yard mark. On the other hand when you are talking about 175+ grain bullets they stay stable through the transonic barrier and thus velocity is not not much an issue. </div></div>

So, if I went with an 18" barrel (without a suppressor) and shot the 175gr bthp .308, I should be able to be shooting out to 1000yds? </div></div>

You can, but you are going to have to run max+ loads and hammer the crap out of the brass, and I doubt you are going to want to run it that way all the time, so you'll end up having to develop 2 loads. If you plan to shoot to 1000 very often then get a 24" tube. If it's a once in a while thing, or maybe once, then get what ever you want.

One other thing, the barrel will make a difference. With my match loads my 24" Rock Creek pushes 175gn SMKs at 2650, my stock 26" Remington varmint gets 2590. Longer barrel, slower bullet on the stock tube.

It never ceases to amaze that people want to use finishing hammers for framing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: valentin_84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, if I went with an 18" barrel (without a suppressor) and shot the 175gr bthp .308, I should be able to be shooting out to 1000yds? </div></div>

You can, but you are going to have to run max+ loads and hammer the crap out of the brass, and I doubt you are going to want to run it that way all the time, so you'll end up having to develop 2 loads. If you plan to shoot to 1000 very often then get a 24" tube. If it's a once in a while thing, or maybe once, then get what ever you want.

One other thing, the barrel will make a difference. With my match loads my 24" Rock Creek pushes 175gn SMKs at 2650, my stock 26" Remington varmint gets 2590. Longer barrel, slower bullet on the stock tube.

</div></div>

using a standard load of 44.5 grains of varget and a 175 smk is hard on brass and not a load you would want to use all the time? using that load in my 18.5" 308, i easily hit a b27 size target at 1k and i have even had it out to 1500 making consecutive hits on a 21" plate.

i do agree that it isn't the best choice for a dedicated 1k shooter but it will make it there fine with standard loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: valentin_84</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">308 Winchester is a rather effient round. When you couple case capacity w/ powder burn rates vs bore size you come up with a very nice equation. Complete powder burn is done within the first 16-18 inches of barrel length. Some guys run longer barrels to pickup modest gains in velocity but simply fact of the matter is that accuracy and velocity have little in common. However when you are talking about the palma crowd that has to run 155 grain bullets velocity is important to keep the bullet stable all the way out to the 1000 yard mark. On the other hand when you are talking about 175+ grain bullets they stay stable through the transonic barrier and thus velocity is not not much an issue. </div></div>

</div></div>

???

Not really. I do load at the upper end of published ranges but I don't run unsafe or overpressure loads. This whole argument about needing a long barrel to push 308 winchester out to the 1000 yard mark or farther doesn't hold water. People shoot short barreled 308s to 1000 yards every day. If you understand the science, like I explained previously, then you begin to understand this. If you are happier running a 20 plus inch barrel on your 308 then I'm happy for you, but it is not necessary. Barrel length does not translate to accuracy and the velocity gains are marginal.

If you follow the logic of the right tool for the job then 308 Winchester doesn't even enter into this discussion. The round gained popularity because it was a military round and military rounds have always carried a large following behind them. For 1000 or more yard engagement many better case designs exist and are better suited for the task at hand.

To the OP keep your barrel 20 inches or shorter and you will be fine unless you are wanting to run a palma rifle. If you want more then what is here I got a couple numbers for gunsmith that you can call. I know of one in particular that builds all is platforms around barrel under 20 inches and manages to get 168 grain bullet to fly well to the 1000 yard mark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: valentin_84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Longshot38 said:
... </div></div>

</div></div>

Geez I love that quote. I had my 26 cut to 22, and now wish it were shorter. I never shoot over 550 at the range, and it's still a beast to lug around the mountains, and I haven't noticed any problem with increased blast. Now I feel like I have to go down to 18 to make it worth the change, or leave it alone...which I'm more likely to do, since I use a 13-25" Harris for seated shots on mountainsides. So I guess you'd find me now in the "anything over 20 is useless under 600" camp.

Yea, you can make it get there. But I'm running 44.2 Varget in a 24" Rock tube and getting about 2680, so if your running basically the same load in a tube that is 4 to 6 inches shorter then 2550 is about all you are going to get with a 175, and I'd bet on closer to 2500. That barely makes it to 1000 super sonic, takes about 43MOA (~12.5 mils) of adjustment to get there and has .1 MOA more windage per MPH of wind than something running even the 2680 that I run. The windage isn't the end of the world, but at 1000 it's significant.

So, will your brush gun make it to 1000? Sure it will, but you better practice out there with it and be damned sure of your wind calls, because you are making it hard, and if you're going to spend that much time on the 1000 yd line why not get something that will get you there with more margin for error.

As for the hammer metaphor, what really puzzles me more is people who get a framing hammer and try to make it into a finishing hammer.

Blackops 2,
My bad, meant to say pinned quickmount, not suppressor, to my 14.5" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carbinero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had my 26 cut to 22, and now wish it were shorter. I never shoot over 550 at the range, and it's still a beast to lug around the mountains, and I haven't noticed any problem with increased blast. Now I feel like I have to go down to 18 to make it worth the change, or leave it alone... which I'm more likely to do, since I use a 13-25" Harris for seated shots on mountainsides. So I guess you'd find me now in the "anything over 20 is useless under 600" camp.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea, you can make it get there. But I'm running 44.2 Varget in a 24" Rock tube and getting about 2680, so if your running basically the same load in a tube that is 4 to 6 inches shorter then 2550 is about all you are going to get with a 175, and I'd bet on closer to 2500. That barely makes it to 1000 super sonic, takes about 43MOA (~12.5 mils) of adjustment to get there and has .1 MOA more windage per MPH of wind than something running even the 2680 that I run. The windage isn't the end of the world, but at 1000 it's significant.

So, will your brush gun make it to 1000? Sure it will, but you better practice out there with it and be damned sure of your wind calls, because you are making it hard, and if you're going to spend that much time on the 1000 yd line why not get something that will get you there with more margin for error.</div></div>

I guess what I have to do is decide what I want my max range to be for the rifle before I'm ready to get another barrel.