• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

308 Shorter Barrel?

Re: 308 Shorter Barrel?

I've never understood why 1K is such a magical mythical distance to some people. Adding an extra 6" to the barrel just doesn't do much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never understood why 1K is such a magical mythical distance to some people. Adding an extra 6" to the barrel just doesn't do much. </div></div>

I think in part because it sounds good, it's a "thousand", not X-hundred. Once you start shooting there you find out that in many bullets that work great out to 400 yds start getting squirrely at longer ranges and won't fly accurately to 1000 so it's a challenge.

Is it very practical for anyone other than the military, nope, not really. I seriously doubt that I'll ever take a hunting shot at more than 600, but I do like to see that marker disk come up in the X ring.

And actually adding a few inches to the barrel does help quite a bit if you are trying to shoot that far. HP shooters use 32" barrels, and almost everyone one the line at an F/TR shoot is running a 30". At 1000 an extra few inches buys you about 100 fps, that gives you better margin above the transonic threshold and buys you a click in windage error.

In the end, yea, really how often do <span style="font-weight: bold">you</span> get to shoot 1000 yds. I can do it every Monday evening in the spring/summer/fall at my club, but outside of that if you're not doing comps it's really an academic thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never understood why 1K is such a magical mythical distance to some people. Adding an extra 6" to the barrel just doesn't do much. </div></div>

I think in part because it sounds good, it's a "thousand", not X-hundred. Once you start shooting there you find out that in many bullets that work great out to 400 yds start getting squirrely at longer ranges and won't fly accurately to 1000 so it's a challenge.

Is it very practical for anyone other than the military, nope, not really. I seriously doubt that I'll ever take a hunting shot at more than 600, but I do like to see that marker disk come up in the X ring.

And actually adding a few inches to the barrel does help quite a bit if you are trying to shoot that far. HP shooters use 32" barrels, and almost everyone one the line at an F/TR shoot is running a 30". At 1000 an extra few inches buys you about 100 fps, that gives you better margin above the transonic threshold and buys you a click in windage error.

In the end, yea, really how often do <span style="font-weight: bold">you</span> get to shoot 1000 yds. I can do it every Monday evening in the spring/summer/fall at my club, but outside of that if you're not doing comps it's really an academic thing. </div></div>

You said it perfectly!