• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Sierra 135 SMK, anyone load em

Re: 308 Sierra 135 SMK, anyone load em

No, but you have me all curious now. Never shot anything below 155 in my rifle. Those pills must scream out of the barrel.

Tag, been looking at the same thing.

They shoot just fine out of an M24.

Hell I've had a box of them in the drawer for a year and haven't got around to trying them yet. too many other projects.

Ive loaded 125 sgk,s for years out of a LTR the farthest ive tracked a white tail is eight steps.Max load of BL-2c and fed 210s Brutal!!!!!!

Ive wondered the same thing about those 135smk's? I did just test some 125 nosler bt's. Shot real good out of the 1-11"

new win brass ( hand prepped and weight sorted )
WLR primers
48.0gr's TAC
2 50/64th OAL

Shot half inch 5 shot at a hundred so I called that good! Damn little things are spendy. lol

Another short range bullet to consider is the 110 Amax. Some are getting great results with it. Factory loaded as 110 grain Hornady TAP. Box lists around 3170 fps or so.

what's the range on these things?

Depends how windy it is. Im going to use them for coyote's in the desert part of my state. 300yrds-350yrds? Should leave a exit hole the size of a small watermelon im hoping! lol

Thought of using these also. I had purchased some hornady 130 game bullets with the flat base a while back and decided to try them recently. I used varget and the results were amazing! Should make for a good 300-400 yard bullet. Still want to try the SMK 135 though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyinrl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends how windy it is. Im going to use them for coyote's in the desert part of my state. 300yrds-350yrds? Should leave a exit hole the size of a small watermelon im hoping! lol </div></div>

You might be surprised. I've shot the 110 Vmax out of a 30-06 at 600yd with narry an issue. They take a little more wind dope than the 208's do. Inside 400 they're flatter don't drift much. The fact that they arrive so fast is key for those kind of shorter
ranges.

I bet the 135 SMK's will do just dandy for hunting size targets out to 500y

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyinrl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends how windy it is. Im going to use them for coyote's in the desert part of my state. 300yrds-350yrds? Should leave a exit hole the size of a small watermelon im hoping! lol </div></div>
I doubt you'll see that kind of wound performance from a SMK. The OTM bullet was tested by DoD for wound performance so they could use the 168 and 175SMK in sniper ammunition, and it was found to have little if any expansion more than FMJ.

I've run these through my 18" 12 twist XP100R with mediocre results. Run them hard and the groups will tighten up.

Another bullet to give serious thought to is the Barnes 130gr TTSX. These shoot lights out from my barrel, and the bonus of them being a "hunting" bullet makes it all the sweeter.

hangunnr

I loaded and shot some 135 SMKs thru a DPMS SASS rifle. 18" barrel. I used Varget powder and federal primers loaded to 2.795ish. I can up with the following:
46.5 2,695
47.0 2,743
47.5 2,753
48.0 2,787

Accuracy was not what I had hoped for, but then again, I'm comparing it to my established load in an AE bolt rifle. At 100 yds couple of loads produced .75 moa and at 300 most all were slightly over 1 moa. It was my first real session with this rifle so I've got all kinds of excuses including myself. It's far too early to concede to and accept this level of accuracy. There's just more work to be done.

I'm wondering how they might work in a .308 bore 7.62x39. Foreign rifles use the .311-ish bore diameter, domestic barrels in the same chambering are very likely to be made to a .308 spec, and be throated with a forcing cone. I like the chambering for a number of less than extreme range applications, and have generally wanted an SMK in that weight range to try out. Of course, right now, I'd need a gun for it, but I have a 22"-ish .308 barrel blank of moderate quality and maybe it's time to put it to use. Call it a .308PPC. For 200yd and the FV200 events, it could have some potential. I'm just not so crazy about the bolt face diameter.

Greg

NukeMMC, The load im using is a 125gr Nosler BT. Ive heard the matchkings just blow right through, course with a dog who cares what they do as long as they drop!