• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Photos .308 SLAP

144:1

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2011
Northern Virginia
The above pictures are of .308, 1985 Winchester SLAP (Saboted Lightly Armored Penetrators) rounds. As you can see from the picture the penetrator is about the size of a 5.56 tip.

These rounds are very hard to find and are quite expensive, about $35 a round.

There is a .50 cal version still used today. They are shot out of a special SLAP barrel.

The .308 version was discontinued in the 1990s. They had production runs in 1985 and 1990. They were primarily used in the M60. Unfortunately the plastic sabot used to hold the tungsten pentrator would melt once the barrel heated up causing barrel strikes. If you want more information about them you can just do a google search.

No none are for sale. I am currently in the process of figuring out how to reload them. I have shot a couple with the existing powder and they didnt perform as they should. The penetrator is suppose to travel close to 4000 feet per second and in my testing they are not.

Re: .308 SLAP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Felderthewelder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oooooo. Very interesting. Is the penetrator crimped into the sabot </div></div>

Nope its just lightly inserted. The sabot falls away once the round is fired.

i saw your pic on the general forum page and said "i know what those are!" $35 ea though? i wish i knew that a few years ago when i bought 200 at $3 ea. i would have resold them fast! got a few left, shot most of them out of my 26" bbl rem 700 varmit .308. they are a blast to shoot. took some friends out to a powerline trail and put some holes in some concrete barriers. blasted through some steel plates too. turned a squirrel into a very, very fine red mist. the rounds are inherently shit on accuracy, but if u can put them through a good rifle you can get a few decent shots in. just remember how fast the rounds move out, 4000 fps is pretty fast and can put significant wear on your barrel, plastic sabot or not. once they barrel gets hot enough you can have the plastic deform and the round can fire at an odd angle and damage your barrel (or so ive heard). we didnt have anything that could shoot fast enough to do that. if someone wants to fire some out of a full auto and you break your bbl ill pay for it with high fives and internets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 144:1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The above pictures are of .308, 1985 Winchester SLAP (Saboted Lightly Armored Penetrators) rounds. As you can see from the picture the penetrator is about he size of a 5.56 tip.

There is a .50 cal version still used today. They are shot out of a special SLAP barrel.

The .308 version was discontinued in the 1990s. They had production runs in 1985 and 1990. They were primarily used in the M60. Unfortunately the plastic sabot used to hold the tungsten pentrator would melt once the barrel heated up causing barrel strikes. If you want more information about them you can just do a google search.

No none are for sale. I am currently in the process of figuring out how to reload them. I have shot a couple with the existing powder and they didnt perform as they should. The penetrator is suppose to travel close to 4000 feet per second and in my testing they are not. </div></div>

i wanted to say be careful and check your laws on reloading/mfg what is considered AP ammo. better to be safe than sorry!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cp3head</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would love to see some pics of what they do upon impact </div></div>

I shot a 1.75 inch steel plate at 100 yards and it made it 1.25 inches through. I was able to get the measurement with a dowel rod. I think it didnt go completely through because the powder is over 25 years old. Im going to reload a few and give them another shot. They punch through 1 inch of steel with ease. I have photos of that I can post another day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Palmetto Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 144:1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The above pictures are of .308, 1985 Winchester SLAP (Saboted Lightly Armored Penetrators) rounds. As you can see from the picture the penetrator is about he size of a 5.56 tip.

No none are for sale. I am currently in the process of figuring out how to reload them. I have shot a couple with the existing powder and they didnt perform as they should. The penetrator is suppose to travel close to 4000 feet per second and in my testing they are not. </div></div>

i wanted to say be careful and check your laws on reloading/mfg what is considered AP ammo. better to be safe than sorry! </div></div>

They law states you cant manufacture AP ammo. That means you cant cast AP. Reloading is fine.

Oh man, I haven't seen those in a LONG time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Felderthewelder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would think it would slide out with the bolt slamming it into the chamber of an m60. </div></div>

the m60 fires from an open bolt so it probably wouldnt effect anything

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coues103</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Felderthewelder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would think it would slide out with the bolt slamming it into the chamber of an m60. </div></div>

the m60 fires from an open bolt so it probably wouldnt effect anything </div></div>

Oh yeah.

What is the range that these are supposed to be good to? I don't image they have a very good BC and as someone said earlier they aren't very accurate.

I saw the pic and remembered seeing those before. The 50 SLAP can be shot out of the M2, but you have to be aware of the barrel temp/firing rate.

I imagine you are going to have to do a bit of digging to find the type of powder used as I imagine it isnt the same as ball.

ive shot the 50 cal SLAP rounds. only on a range though. never got to actually go up and see the damage it inflicts on old tank armor. i believe the 50 cal SLAP rounds will go through 10"+ of armor steel. pretty devastating round if i dont say so myself. theyre even rare to see in the USMC. so what you have there is VERY rare. i didnt even know they made those for a 7.62. interesting...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Felderthewelder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coues103</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Felderthewelder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would think it would slide out with the bolt slamming it into the chamber of an m60. </div></div>

the m60 fires from an open bolt so it probably wouldnt effect anything </div></div>

Oh yeah.

What is the range that these are supposed to be good to? I don't image they have a very good BC and as someone said earlier they aren't very accurate. </div></div>

I have no idea. I was only shooting them at 100 yards. I shot two into a steel plate and they were probably about 1.5 - 2 inches apart. I got the steel so I can take a photo. Once I get them reloaded I will provide an update and range report.

Are these the same as the accelerator?

I have 2 boxes of 06 and 1.5 boxes of 308 Accelerators.

Pretty sweet rounds, supposedly the 30-06 is at 4400 fps.

I have not fired one in 25 years though. I've seen what they do to ice blocks in the Tundra at 500 yards though, quite impressive!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are these the same as the accelerator?

I have 2 boxes of 06 and 1.5 boxes of 308 Accelerators.

Pretty sweet rounds, supposedly the 30-06 is at 4400 fps.

I have not fired one in 25 years though. I've seen what they do to ice blocks in the Tundra at 500 yards though, quite impressive!! </div></div>

Same concept I suppose, except these are made of tungsten.

I have some of the 30-06 accelerators!
They are from the 80's

just wondering, if they still make the
"accelerator jackets"?

LOBO 151

Damn! $35 each!?! I should have stolen a bunch from the Swedes! That's all they had for their sniper rifles in A'stan!

I have 500 plastic sabots for making accelerators. You can still buy them. Getting the tungston bullets will be difficult. Mine use 223 bullets but I haven't tried them yet.

Might be able to make the penetrator from tungsten welding rods. Anybody know where you can get the plastic sabots?

here is a site in Europe that sells the armor piercing ammo for handguns and they have some glock upgrades or should I say wildcat parts to change the caliber of your pistol to accommodate their new calibers of armor piercing ammo.

http://www.fsdip.com/website/

Good call on reloading the rounds. Most machine gun ammo is designed to achieve a specific cone of fire.

Be careful shooting the rounds if your rifle has a large muzzle break. The 50cal SLAP rounds sometimes blow back fragments of sabot at spotters when shot through an M107 SASR. Not lethal but could take out an eye. I would think the same would be possible with your .308 rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mustafa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn! $35 each!?! I should have stolen a bunch from the Swedes! That's all they had for their sniper rifles in A'stan! </div></div>

Yeah we use those but there is a slight difference in the manufacturing process that gives the better accuracy. Ours are made by Winchester/Olin and we call them "patron 10 prick" in english: cartridge type 10 sniping.
What i can see from the pictures the sabot on ours has a slight steeper angle in the front, the vel is 4230 fps at the muzzle from a 26" AIAW.

The patron 10 prick is the designated combat ammo for the Swedish PSG 90 (AIAW) and the accuracy is around MOA out to 900 in cold weather. They seem to not like warm weather for some reason.
Our rounds are loaded to full case with ball powder of some sort.

Here is a hompage some guy has done on Swedish military ammo and the prick is listed with picture. http://www.amkat.se/index.php?Env=A...ue_A=7,62x51&Menu_Value_B=Ball&Menu_Name=Ball

Actually they wanted to increase the range from 600 to 800m but the rest is right.
The prick round was introduced in 2000.

Jumper, Lobo 151

.30 to .22 sabot

Remington Sabot

Could be fun, not certain if firing them through a muzzle brake would be acceptable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sotahirvi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mustafa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn! $35 each!?! I should have stolen a bunch from the Swedes! That's all they had for their sniper rifles in A'stan! </div></div>

Yeah we use those but there is a slight difference in the manufacturing process that gives the better accuracy. Ours are made by Winchester/Olin and we call them "patron 10 prick" in english: cartridge type 10 sniping.
What i can see from the pictures the sabot on ours has a slight steeper angle in the front, the vel is 4230 fps at the muzzle from a 26" AIAW.

The patron 10 prick is the designated combat ammo for the Swedish PSG 90 (AIAW) and the accuracy is around MOA out to 900 in cold weather. They seem to not like warm weather for some reason.

Here is a hompage some guy has done on Swedish military ammo and the prick is listed with picture. http://www.amkat.se/index.php?Env=A...ue_A=7,62x51&Menu_Value_B=Ball&Menu_Name=Ball

Actually they wanted to increase the range from 600 to 800m but the rest is right.
The prick round was introduced in 2000. </div></div>

Damn! That's what I like SO MUCH about Sniper's Hide...almost ANY arms/ammo subject that comes up...there's a Sniper's Hide Member somewhere on the planet who has info/experience and doesn't mind sharing it with the rest of us! I was aware of the .50 cal SLAP round and had read some of it's history...now, I find out there was/is a .308 SLAP round! I have learned more in 15 minutes reading this thread than I could have discovered in hours of research. Good job, Sotahirvi, I appreciate the info...goes to show I'm never too old to learn...you made this old man smile today!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: al1gator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sotahirvi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mustafa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn! $35 each!?! I should have stolen a bunch from the Swedes! That's all they had for their sniper rifles in A'stan! </div></div>

The prick round was introduced in 2000. </div></div>

Damn! That's what I like SO MUCH about Sniper's Hide...almost ANY arms/ammo subject that comes up...there's a Sniper's Hide Member somewhere on the planet who has info/experience and doesn't mind sharing it with the rest of us! I was aware of the .50 cal SLAP round and had read some of it's history...now, I find out there was/is a .308 SLAP round! I have learned more in 15 minutes reading this thread than I could have discovered in hours of research. Good job, Sotahirvi, I appreciate the info...goes to show I'm never too old to learn...you made this old man smile today! </div></div>

Ha, I post and someone else gets the thank you. This isnt the first picture of "specialty ammo" Ive posted. More will come over the next couple weeks. Stay tuned.

144:1, I meant no disrespect...we wouldn't even be discussing .308 SLAP rounds without your original post/info/pics! My attention span seems to grow shorter with each passing year...Sotahirvi's post was right there in front of me when I started my reply...so he got the kudos. I look forward to more of your "specialty ammo" posts. My 11 year old grandson stays with me while he is out of school for the Summer. He is very "into" anything gun/shooting related, so I bookmark threads like this one for us to review. I may be past my "prime" in the shooting sports...but he is our future...and we will, indeed, stay tuned!

144:1 Hey.. sorry man. I didn´t want to hijack your thread, just wanted to give some info on the swedish stuff mr Mustafa related to. Hope you're not upset

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sotahirvi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">144:1 Hey.. sorry man. I didn´t want to hijack your thread, just wanted to give some info on the swedish stuff mr Mustafa related to. Hope you're not upset </div></div>

O no, no worries man.

Hey. The Vihtavouri reloading guide lists a load for the 57 grs aluminium core ALS bullet, I have used this data with Remington accelerators but the accuracy was not to good. If you dont have it download it from lapuas homepage and mayby give it a try.
The data uses VV N110 powder in the .308 and .30-06 but take care in working up your load, cause the pressure rises quickly when approaching the maximum load witch could lead to a sabot failure.

ive got a hole bunch of the accelerators...you can still buy them , theres a place out of texas thats i gots some from last year...

In my experience the Remington Accelerators are not very accurate. I got a box of them from my Father in Law when I bought his 30-06. Wondering if the 55gr SP bullet is just TOO light? I have been thinking about loading some up with some 75gr .223 bullets and see how it does. I will be buying a bag of 100 plastic sabots to start experimenting with. Gonna load some for the 30-06 and the 7.62x54R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I will be buying a bag of 100 plastic sabots to start experimenting with. Gonna load some for the 30-06 and the 7.62x54R </div></div>

Don't mess around with the small stuff, step up to a 300wm with those sabot's, and load it w/a home made projectile you make from a piece of 0.227 oil quenched drill rod. A good Hillbilly offense for those that think they are safe, behind armor plate. Load it properly and 5-6K, FPS is do-able. 5K with a single powder loading, 6K+ with a triplex powder loading. Neither is for the faint of heart, but the on target results,...
My guess is the M1 Abrams that was hit in Iraq and brought back to AAD was hit in a similar fashion. Speed first, an projo hardness second, is the key when punching armor plate.

I've got a .50 cal slap round. We found a few cans of the stuff while deployed, but weren't allowed to use it. One of them *somehow* magically appeared back home...

are these or the .50 cal legal. I've also seen some raufos for sale. Didn't buy it because I thought explosive rounds were probably a no no

are these or the .50 cal legal. I've also seen some raufos for sale. Didn't buy it because I thought explosive rounds were probably a no no

As mentioned above, this is what we use in Sweden for our AI AW sniper rifles (in war zones at least).

I've done some research using the Mil litterature available and I came up with the following range card for the Swedish SLAP round (Supposedly manufactured by Winchester, initially at least);

BC: 0.334 G1
Bullet weight: 52 gr
V0: 1290 meters per second

Following at 1013 hPa, zero altitude, 15°C and RH 78%:

Drop to 1000 meters: 6.3 MIL
Speed at 1000 meters: 399 mps
Supersonic to appr. 1140 meters.

To my understanding, the SLAP Ver. 2.0 which is used by the swedes doesn't suffer from the utterly poor accuracy that was a problem in the first batch, they practise at coke bottles at 500 meters etc. and have scored quite a few long range kills in A-stand with these.

There were two batches sold to sweden. The first suffered some poor accuracy due to the manufacturing process. This we knew but we bought the batch anyway. Winchester/OLIN fixed the problem the year after and second batch showed better accuracy.
The swedish round was custom made for sniper rifles though it orgined from the same idea to use the SLAP in machineguns: cut down the need for precise vind and range esimation.

RIFLING......NOT ON THESE BAD BOYS....SAW THESE ON A 30-06......GREAT TO HAVE SOME AROUND THE HOUSE

I was very close to the purchase of a smoothbore barrel that was designed for SLAP for my .50 Windrunner but when I went DTC and the difficulty in purchasing the rounds I decided against it. They are pretty lousy when it comes to accuracy also. 2 to 3 moa from what I was told.

Hi i'm new to the forum but have lurked for a long time. if anyone is interested I can press the sabots if anyone is interested in them.
I believe id need a minimum order of 100-200 to make it worth tooling. I can extrude using a variety of high temp polymers. I can also do small batches via 3d printing but cost would be prohibitive. If you are interested PM me.
I do this as hobby not profit.