• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

308 Suggestions

TacticalRem

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2011
Dallas, TX
First of all let me say I value all of your suggestions. I have found this site very helpful! I have a Remington 700 XCR TLR in 308 mounted on an AICS with a NightForce 5.5x22 Scope. The rifle has a 1 in 12 twist 26 inch fluted heavy barrel. It is my desire to shoot long range up to 1000 yrds with great accuracy. What would you suggest as far as barrel, action, blueprinting, etc. I am currently reloading looking for the sweet-spot load for the rifle. I know I'm talking about a lot of $$$ but I want a shooter. If anyone knows someone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area to make the enhancements that would be great. Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: 308 Suggestions

I'm a real FNG here, but as with all things like shooting, you have to know your gear/tool/instrument or whatever.

Throwing $$$$$ into something will not make you a good shooter.

Sight picture
Breath control
Trigger squeeze
Follow through
Knowledge of your weapon's capability and it's ballistics
CONTROL your environment to the best of your ability.

I lived through 2 tours in Viet Nam flying helicopters because I made damned sure that I knew what my bird could do.

No different here.

Thanks. I understand the weapon is only a part of the total package. I should have stated that I understand its ultimately up to the shooter! I'm committed and each time I shoot I emphasize the basics. By they way; thanks for your service during Viet Nam. Your sacrifices have allowed us the freedoms we enjoy today.

As I stated, I'm a real FNG here, but your rig sounds pretty good to me!

Jeeezzz, , , I'm hanging on 1/4 MOA and I'm happy (but IS with a rifle I bought from Dick's Sporting Goods)

Never been a fan of fluted barrels, but that's just me.

You already have everything you need.

If you want, having your action trued and a good barrel installed will certainly help the rifle.

I am certain there are at least a couple of gunsmiths in the DFW area. Have you tried google?

There are many quality barrels available. Ask a local gunsmith what they recommend. They usually have a track recod with a certain brand or two.

Otherwise, you will end up shipping the rifle off to a smith. There are several fine smiths that inhabit the hide.

You are looking at about 800 dollars give or take. That is trued action and bolt, new barrel installed and chambered and a quality recoil lug installed.

308 and "GREAT 1000 yd accuracy" not sure they go well together. have it rechambered to a 260 or 243 (Dtac 115s) I know the 308 is popular for ease of ammo and light recoil and I know shooters exist, but there are SO many better calibers out to a 1000 yds then the 308

Gene Williams of Princeton Texas he is by appointment only: 972-734-6699.

Or go full custom with a Stiller action in Wylie.

What kind of accuracy are you getting out of it now? You may save yourself a lot of money working up a load and finding you have a tackdriver without any additional work.
I just got back from my cousin's ranch in New Mexico for July 4th weekend. They always have a 1000yd competition there. The 1000 yd target was an 18" steel circle with a 6" bullseye, and of the 18 or so shooters the winner shot an unmodified heavy barreled remington in 308. He knows the gun very well, shoots all year, and has obvious skill. Lots of guys with their $3-4000 rifles were just a little envious!

Go shoot a 5 round group. Then ask one of the better shots at whatever club you shoot at to shoot a group with your rifle. If his group is much smaller than you, it's you that's the weak link not the rifle. Not trying to be a dick or anything but if you have to ask on the internet how to spend a ton of your hard earned money, you probably don't have the experience to benefit much from that expense...

Yeah, it sounds like you have what you need. If you are just looking to spend some money, getting a chrony wouldn't be a bad idea, just so that you can verify velocity. You really can't do it using the load data and you need to be sure that your load will stay supersonic out to 1000 yards.

Does your rifle shoot 175s? If not, you may have to try a 155 and get it moving fast.

Have you ever shot a 1000 yards? If not, you're likely putting the horse before the cart. Use the equipment that you have. If limitation manifest themselves, the address them as they arise. Most limitations are shooter related.

The rifle should already be a shooter. mine does great with factory and better with reloads. I am getting good results with 168's and 175's over 43.5 varget and getting them to 1k with no problem. If your not getting there with your current rig there aint a custom rifle in the world gonna help your problem....

Why not just shoot it as is to 1000 yds? I recently shot my 20" LTR with 10X Bushnell to 1k without a problem. Well, other than the wind that is. Mine shoots best with 2000mr powder and the 175 smk at 2650 fps. "Great" accuracy at 1k is going to take more than tweaking your rifle.

Call NTRP and take a 1,000 yard class.

Its the indian not the arrow.

308WIN at 1K is pushing the envelope. But, you can shoot competitions that cater to this cartridge at 1K: Palma and F-TR. The main thing you need is a match barrel chambered by a good gunsmith with 30" to 32" total length. I'd get it with a 1:10 or 1:11 twist to allow you to shoot anything from 155 to 190gr match bullets. Besides a match barrel/chamber job, you will need perfect ammunition. Your ammo really needs to be good to shoot well at 1K. Bullets and barrels: that's the most important.

I have the near identical set up .308 rem XCR tac W/26" fluted barrel 1-12 twist. I use 175 gr smk bthp With TAC Powder by Ramshot and have no problem with over pressure @ 2550 fps I'm going to try bench primers to get the extra 100 fps this weekend. I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to reach out to 1000 yds but I agree it will be pushing it. If you make the 1000 yd shot with yours TacRem please post as I haven't made that shot yet.

Yes the gun really seems to like the 175's over the 168's. This weekend I'm running a ladder test with some loads using the IMR 4064 and Varget. Both are loaded with the 175 Federals and the 178 Hornady AMAX. Going to see which of these she likes the best.

I think you already have want you need. I would spend your time and money working on loads and trying different bullets, powder, seating length, etc. There is no reason your setup won't reach 1000 yards with practice and the right load. By the time you wear out this barrel, you'll have a better idea of what you want to change as far as caliber, twist, action, custom build etc. At that point you may want to look into a faster twist and throated for heavier 30 caliber higher BC bullets, or maybe changing to a different caliber. But my advise woould be to work with what you have now.

As has been noted, you already have what you need, but if you're looking for a smith, you can give Don Geraci a call. Just google him. He's in Independence, LA. I have two 700s that were rebuilt by him and they both shoot really well, considering the relatively minor investment.