• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 to 3000 yards?

InTheWeeds

Sergeant
Minuteman
The wife dragged me to Barnes & Noble today and while she went to find her junk, I went to see what was on the shelf in terms of shooting. I found this book called "Precision Shooting at 1000 yards", and one of the chapters, they talked about shooting a .308 out passed 3000 yards. I didnt have time to read the whole chapter, but they showed some pics of the rifles used and the ridiculous amount of canting used in the scope bases. I was curious if anyone has seen this done?

Re: .308 to 3000 yards?

Sounds like artillery. =D

Gotta lob those rounds out there. Shit, by the time the round gets there it would be coming straight down!

potentially yes... at 2700 mt has 286 energy (joule) and drop is 286 MOA... but velocity is 270 m/s ... and bullet is very unstable...

I've got firing tables for my Vickers gun out to 4500 yards for the .303 Mark VII round. One uses a clinometer on the receiver to get the correct firing angle, then you deliver 20 round bursts of 'hard rain'.

I don't care who you are a chunk of lead at 500fps is going to hurt like a mofo.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoryT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got firing tables for my Vickers gun out to 4500 yards for the .303 Mark VII round. One uses a clinometer on the receiver to get the correct firing angle, then you deliver 20 round bursts of 'hard rain'.</div></div>

I remember reading that article in the book... kind of neat how far they were willing to go just to prove it could be done.

Now-a-days I think about how much ribbing I get from the local 6mm & 6.5mm shooters for the amount of elevation my .308 takes to *one* thousand. For 3000yds... I think I'd start looking for a wee little gear box and a motor to drive that elevation turret
wink.gif

Somewhere in the archives, their was a thread about shooting ground squirres at 2or 3000 yds with a 308, I couldnt find it, but I remember the thread maybe about 8 months ago?

are they just lobbing it out there or are they trying to hit something at that range? LOL.

the article was good reading , but those guys shot a lot of rounds before hitting the steel. If I had that kind of land to shoot at I might try it (although the scope ring height is tooo high for a regular case
eek.gif

I think you are referring to chapter 5 titled " Ultra long range shooting in Colorado" by Steve Hugel. One of the guys was shooting a 308ai and 220 smk's, the other a 338 lapua. They both were getting hits on a 16" gong. Kreg Slack on may 31st 2000 hit a rock chuck at 3125 yards after 3 shoots with a 338 not the 308. It is a very good book. You should go back and buy it.

I have that book as well...read it and if anyone wants to buy it call it half the cost of the book and $5 shipping via UPS, it was a good book but I am done with it.

He pretty much made huge ring/bases and a huge cheek rest to get the sight picture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneswithfunes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you are referring to chapter 5 titled " Ultra long range shooting in Colorado" by Steve Hugel. One of the guys was shooting a 308ai and 220 smk's, the other a 338 lapua. They both were getting hits on a 16" gong. Kreg Slack on may 31st 2000 hit a rock chuck at 3125 yards after 3 shoots with a 338 not the 308. It is a very good book. You should go back and buy it. </div></div>

What bullet were they using in that .338LM?

Edit: I should have read the link first...300gr SMK @2750fps, but I thought those tended to tumble when they pasted through the sound barrier?

Why do three thousand yards, when you can do... ONE MILLION YARDS?

dr_evil.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunderwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneswithfunes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you are referring to chapter 5 titled " Ultra long range shooting in Colorado" by Steve Hugel. One of the guys was shooting a 308ai and 220 smk's, the other a 338 lapua. They both were getting hits on a 16" gong. Kreg Slack on may 31st 2000 hit a rock chuck at 3125 yards after 3 shoots with a 338 not the 308. It is a very good book. You should go back and buy it. </div></div>

What bullet were they using in that .338LM?

Edit: I should have read the link first...300gr SMK @2750fps, but I thought those tended to tumble when they pasted through the sound barrier? </div></div> I can't speak to that. I read that chapter one night and found it very interesting. I bought the book because it had a very good section on reloading.

I read that artical a long time ago and I think they were not useing the 308 win caliber, I think it was a 308 baer, or something like that. It was very impressive, and they were not "lucking" in to hits, they were making the shots.

I read this article a long time ago and didn't buy in to it then. My brother has the most solid theory I've head to what they did to date that I've heard and I'll share it:

1 - Find a prairie dog town about 3k away
2 - Place a nice bright orange cone, pole, stand etc. in the center of it.
3 - Go to your shooting bench and aim for the cone (what you can see of it as at 3k curvature of the earth is more than in play and so just SEEING the target is enough of a challenge).
4 - Send it
5 - Get in the truck and see what you hit.

Point being...it's flock shooting.

Rich

Well that shot is pretty well documented. 3 shots on the same target with one hit. I think everyone would agree a healthy does of luck was involved. If you are going to call bs call bs.

Because the shot on the dog was with a 338 lapua not a 308ai. There was reference to using a 308ai with 220 smk's and hitting a gong but not the dog.

Actually it was a fun write--got me into the good graces of Dave Brennan for awhile, at least. Shoulda' been there when they were attempting 2 miles. I was actually spotting for Kreg Slack and Bruce Artus then and could eventually see which way the PD was facing on the mound even with an el cheapo Bushnell spotting scope from the hood of the truck.

The whole idea was to break the world record (whatever that may have been at the time), and my take on it was an opportunity to do some writing on that most fascinating endeavor (i and others thought, at least). Gordy Gritters wrote an article on his 3000-yd. shooting also awhile back in TVHM. Everybody's got their interests i guess, whether it be underwater basket weaving or trying to kill a PD a long ways away, whatever. I was just there to record the event. They accomplished their goal though, and designed some interesting equipment in the pursuit of it as well, so...? Record hasn't been broken yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shadowlid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do three thousand yards, when you can do... ONE MILLION YARDS?

dr_evil.jpg
</div></div>

Fing priceless. Very shagadelic baby yeah!!!</div></div>

laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deer Assassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shadowlid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do three thousand yards, when you can do... ONE MILLION YARDS?

dr_evil.jpg
</div></div>

Fing priceless. Very shagadelic baby yeah!!!</div></div>

laugh.gif
</div></div>

smiley faces and posts like "cool" wont help your post count to sell, when they ban you for meaningless posts....... just sayin'

A 16" gong at 3000 yds is about 0.5 MOA...

Pretty sure whoever hit it with anything had a very large dose of luck involved... it is the kind of stuff that "may" happen but not often (gross understatement) or with any repeatability
wink.gif

I have seen Marty Hubbs hit targets @ 2500 yards consistent, with a .338 lapua-not sure which scope-probably US Optics--He had (4) different barrels:(calibers)22-250,308,338 & 460 marked NSA on the barrels. We were on a mesa near Farmington, NM--He also had a Raytheon thermal scope, that was bad to the bone--jack rabbits under the sage brush---lol!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smartfeller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen Marty Hubbs hit targets @ 2500 yards consistent, with a .338 lapua-not sure which scope-probably US Optics--He had (4) different barrels:(calibers)22-250,308,338 & 460 marked NSA on the barrels. We were on a mesa near Farmington, NM--He also had a Raytheon thermal scope, that was bad to the bone--jack rabbits under the sage brush---lol!!!!
</div></div>

Wow! May I ask:

What was the size of the target?
What is "consistent" (what % of hits)?
Was it on a all-the-planets-are-aligned day, or can the feat be repeated on demand?

Not even close to being practical...

While longer shots are clearly possible, I personally consider the .308 marginal beyond 1000yd.

For over 1000yd, I use .260, and am developing .30-'06 and .280.

So far my past 1Kyd ventures have been limited to one session at 1123yd with a 24" .260 (Outright excitingly successful; I definitely have the hunger for more.), but life is long and who knows what the future holds...?

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if a 300 grain .30 hits a ground hog at 500 or 600 feet per second I think it would kill it dead right there. </div></div>

my 450 grain arrow at 280fps get full penetration on deer, but that's at 30 yards.

finally a logical response!!!

your a rock star.....

Spray and pray with a M240, "If it aint flying they aint dying"