• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 to 300WSM, couple of Q's

MD2Colo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2011
Littleton, CO
Hey guys, how's it goin-

Thinking of changing my 3rd and really not needed 308 (already have a gas 308 and bolt 308) into a 300 WSM. I have a magnum (7mm Rem Mag, nice BDL stock) that is cool, but I really don't shoot it too much and frankly I don't want to beat it up. Kind of a novelty thing, really. That being said, I would still like to have a 30 plus gun that I can beat on, hence the idea of the short magnum--
A quick pro con list

Pro
-already have the equipment
(AICS S/A chassis, 5R barreled action, Timney, etc)
-retains short action (love that)
-gain 30 plus range without buying a new rifle
-bullet selection
-about 6-700 bucks to reuse 5R barrel which only has 50 rds on it (re-chamber, true rec, etc)

Con
-about a grand worth of work with a new barrel
-barrel life is shortened
-higher report, harder to reduce signature (cans are an option, obviously)
-tack on a few hundred bucks for dies,etc,etc
-$150 SF muzzle brake

questions-
1= Not sure if I need to have the 308 bolt face enlarged. I probably do

2= Barrel length... is 22" enough to burn the 60-65 grains of powder that a 300WSM uses? Shorter the better, but I don't want a flamethrower and reduced FPS. I will have the barrel threaded for a can, which will be a future purchase (SF 7.62SS)

Thanks for any replies

Wanna go from this
currentAICS.jpg

to this, in 300 WSM (obviously).
Being a fan of the military look, I plan on getting a MARS rail along with some Mk4 rings for the helluvit.
remAICS.jpg

Re: 308 to 300WSM, couple of Q's

A grand outta get you a ptg bolt, a match barrel, and the action trued. Including chambering and crowning.

Or 3-400 bucks using the barrel you have.

I say do it. Why not if u have all the parts. I just got a 300wsm on its way to me to play with.

You're going to need a magnum bolt face, so you'll definitely need to change that. You're going to love the 300 WSM imo one of the best balanced rifle rounds out there.

Cool, ok-

A S/A bolt body is $106 from PTG, with Standard bolt face. I'll bet they have Magnum BFs in stock? gotta call.
Is it worth buying a new bolt body over having the current one machined to .543"?

Probably. I'm not familiar with the whole process of opening up a bolt face; I'd imagine the ejector is a bit inboard on the case when the inside diameter is increased. Extractor shouldn't be a big deal, but I'm no gunsmith so who knows.

Gonna stick with the 5R barrel, those MARS rails are 500 bucks a pop... ouch.

Deciding to send the barreled action to GAP for rechambering, brake install, bolt face enlargement and receiver truing.
Coming in at about 900 bucks by my tally.
Man, I might as well just spend 315 more bucks and have a real barrel installed...

-edit
damn accessories will nickel and dime you to death.
I did manage to find a NIB MARS 20 MOA SA rail for 200 bucks, tho.

Depending on your use, you may consider getting the new barrel in 24" When I researched the WSM it favored a bit more length then a normal .308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rprecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depending on your use, you may consider getting the new barrel in 24" When I researched the WSM it favored a bit more length then a normal .308 </div></div>
roger that

thanks Rp

Save yourself the money on the MARS if its "just for the look". Sounds like it is by your own admission.

You might consider a 284. You wouldn't have to change bolt for that and is roughly short-mag performance. I think it's ahead of the 300WSM in terms of ballistics, and not too far behind the 7mm. Good luck with the project.

I would go with the 300 wsm it is a hammer of a cartridge. It is also very easy to load for. Fill case with h4350, insert a 185 vld and your done. A 185 vld at 3000 fps brings over 3700 lbs of energy at the muzzle. Put a 1/10 twist 5r barrel on it and your done. Cut it at 24 inches.