• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 twist rate

DoubleBarrel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2009
South, OK. USA
I did a search but came up with nothing good. What seems to be the optimum twist rate for the 308. shooting probably 175's. i have been told 1 in 10 will stabilize everything. any comments.

Re: 308 twist rate

if you got a 1-10 a 1-11.25 and a 1-12 all from the same barrel maker , chambered all with the same reamer by the same guy on the same action I'd be willing to bet a house note that the chances of one shooting better than the other because of the twist rate will be 0

The only time i evert seen bullets "spun" to fast was out of fast twist varmint gunns running bullets 4000+fps and the bullet came appart.

Personaly I like a 1-10 just to error on the side of caution if i ever wanna shoot a bigger bullet or shoot sub sonics

Agreed with Jones. 1-10 will do almost everything and is the only choice to shoot the 220subs in a non-dedicated subsonic rifle. Will do it all ok, but none perfect.

I agree with above post about 1:10 twist...but on the other hand I do have a 1:12 twist .308 I picked up here used that loves 190gr bergers VLD's out to 1000yds.