• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .308 variant AR tuning, accurizing.

.416 Crucial

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2011
I have been lurking on this wonderful site for 5 years or so and enjoy the vast amount of useful information found here. I am planning to build a .308 AR variant pieced out over the next few months but I want each piece I order to contribute to the accuracy of the firearm without alot of trial and error because of my ignorance. I put together my own less stripped lower kit a few years ago so I have the tools and currently have a couple custom bolt rifles. My friend who put them together for me has no love for black rifles so I'm pretty much on my own here. Help with which receivers parts and pieces that give the highest likelihood of accuracy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Drake

Re: .308 variant AR tuning, accurizing.

The easiest path to an accurate 308 AR is to buy a DPMS LR model, put a quality trigger and good optics on it. You will have a sub MOA, albeit, heavy rifle.
A build with various piece parts is always a bit of a crap shoot.

Think of buying a Savage F Class 6.5x284 vs getting an old 700 action and starting from there. The latter may be fun but..........

I must of got lucky on the 6.5 because I have a few rifles just as you described and there all shooters but its because of the match grade barrels and such and it's never been a crap shoot. Just wondering what makes the ARs more or less accurate for ex. The bedding, stock, and such in a bolt action rifle.

The more I think about it if they shoot that good out of the box maybe I would be money ahead to take your advice before I spend a bunch of money on premium parts only to end up with an insignificant or perhaps negligible improvement in accuracy. O and by the way thanks 418. But maybe a list of parts and such would be helpful to someone that might want to do it. Plus Id like to know what makes one more accurate than the other anyway. No harm in learning something I guess.

Same thing applies in the AR world as does the bolt gun world. Quality parts and the knowledge/proper tools to put them together. Use quality pieces and make sure everything is true and straight, which should yield an accurate rifle. Get a billet upper and lower, quality barrel, free float rail/tube, quality trigger, and other parts, which should yield an accurate rifle! A person could list parts for hours and the debate could rage on for pages and days, so do your research and find what you like or think will work. The flip side is to buy a rifle that's built and ready to go. You can get amazing accuracy from factory guns and really a sub moa black rifle is not real uncommon, but for cheap is! Good luck

Rock River LAR 8 Varmint. Sub MOA out of the box. I have the 20", about the same weight as an M1. RR two stage match trigger included. The only thing I added was a Vortex Viper 2.5 X 10, and a Harris bipod.

In the AR family the upper and lower fit is mandatory for accuracy as is the barrel extension to the upper. Fit a over-sized extension to your upper lap the bolt in and square the bolt face.If you do not need to fit the upper into the lower then use a accu-wedge for a nice tight fit.Quality parts will hold accuracy longer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: P.A.R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the AR family the upper and lower fit is mandatory for accuracy as is the barrel extension to the upper. Fit a over-sized extension to your upper lap the bolt in and square the bolt face.If you do not need to fit the upper into the lower then use a accu-wedge for a nice tight fit.Quality parts will hold accuracy longer. </div></div>

Upper to lower fit has absolutely no determination on the accuracy of the gun, with ARs its all about barrels and triggers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: P.A.R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the AR family the upper and lower fit is mandatory for accuracy as is the barrel extension to the upper. Fit a over-sized extension to your upper lap the bolt in and square the bolt face.If you do not need to fit the upper into the lower then use a accu-wedge for a nice tight fit.Quality parts will hold accuracy longer. </div></div>

Upper to lower fit has absolutely no determination on the accuracy of the gun, with ARs its all about barrels and triggers. </div></div>

Barrels trigger and optics.

The rest of the parts are about ease of use and reliability.

If you are going to build one check out the Mega MA TEN.
I built one with the Billet lower and Monolithic upper, Rainier Ultramatch barrel and Geissele SSA-E trigger.
Could not be happier.
YMMV