• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report 308 vs 260

Re: 308 vs 260

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read this thread and found this to be interesting:
.308 comparison

It sounded objective enough and have lived and hunted in Alaska for several years..

I found the article interesting for it's real world application(s), not just target shooting.. </div></div>

Nice find. I think it points out that a properly setup .308 is going to cut it for 99% of the shooters most of the time. I've been hemhawing around about the same subject. I've been learning to long range target shoot with a .223 gun that I built. Very easy to load for and for my one long range outing I did very well out to 720 yards in light wind. I couldn't be stopped at 500 and under... I'm kicking around the idea of a larger caliber for next year and I think based on my lack of experience and the ease of reloading .308 might be a good fit for my next rifle to stretch out my range some. I've got a bunch more shooting with the .223 this summer and fall to do and then I'll decide.

Thanks for the post.

Re: 308 vs 260

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read this thread and found this to be interesting:
.308 comparison

It sounded objective enough and have lived and hunted in Alaska for several years..</div></div>

While the author brings up a good point that the 308 isn't an "inferior" round...I note that he didn't address muzzle velocity differences in his 308 vs. 7mm08 600yd ballistics comparison; the only way I've been able to get the .308 168 A-Max close to the velocity & energy @ 600yd of the 7mm 162 A-Max in my calculator is to run the 7mm bullet at 2700fps and the 308 at 2900fps.

Using real-world velocities, the 7-08 *will* outshine the 308 in the above 600yd scenario, as would the 260. All three, however, will kill game animals just as dead as the other.